Mr.Beer Community

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Picked about 6 lbs of hops today. Which is about 18 oz when they’re dried. Got two paper bags about 3/4 of the way full. It took all day between everyday life things and brewing. I was still picking during whirlpool. I have about 4 lbs in the dehydrator and my basement now looks like this:

0B955E2B-8547-4C7C-97E5-17EB11340647.jpeg

I did look back through this thread but not sure which strain of hops you are harvesting here? Looks like you started out with two strains at one point.

13 minutes ago, Cato said:

I did look back through this thread but not sure which strain of hops you are harvesting here? Looks like you started out with two strains at one point.

Big screen is centennial, the rest is columbus. Prussian and harwick are in their first year. Only the prussian May get harvested this year 

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Big screen is centennial, the rest is columbus. Prussian and harwick are in their first year. Only the prussian May get harvested this year 

that is greatness. i'll bet your basement smells good. and here i am opening store bought packs of hops.....SMH.

2 hours ago, Jdub said:

that is greatness. i'll bet your basement smells good. and here i am opening store bought packs of hops.....SMH.

Dude... last night i was overwhelmed with the smell of hops and then id come inside and smell sweet wort boiling. It was crazy. Crazy good

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, Creeps McLane said:

Creeps, I couldn't help but laugh when I heard your uncensored choice of words. As for the Japanese beetles you can eliminate them by treating your yard to control the grubs earlier in the spring. Haven't had the problem in nearly 20 years since I nuked them. Having sacrificial plants is also a good way to control them if you keep those plants far enough away from the hops. A rose bush or two will attract those little ba$tard$ like manure attracts flies. The rose bushes can be sprayed with natural insecticides to wipe them out. 

Great information about the red coloration of the bines. I'll need to keep that in mind next year.