Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
syncman

How to use washed yeast?

4 posts in this topic

Made a few all grain BIAB batches now, 2 gallons at a time. Some recipes the yeast is pricey adds a lot to the cost, so I looked at videos of washing yeast. Now, if I end up with a few mason jars with about 1/4-1/2" of yeast on the bottom, can I pitch 1 jar to a new 2 gallon batch of wort, or would I need more? None of the videos I see are too clear on this point.

Yes, you can!  I've done this several times with my more expensive yeasts and as long as you are matching the yeast type to the beer type the results are great!  What I mean by that is don't use a recycled IPA yeast in a wheat beer.  Good luck & enjoy the savings!

syncman likes this

A better approach might be to make a starter and then store, say, 25 % of that starter  - no need to "wash" the yeast and no problem with transferring flavors from one beer to a different beer...

AnthonyC and syncman like this

1 hour ago, Brewer said:

A better approach might be to make a starter and then store, say, 25 % of that starter  - no need to "wash" the yeast and no problem with transferring flavors from one beer to a different beer...

This is true.  Sometimes transferring that taste has amazing results.  I used recycled Wyeast Abbey Dubbel yeast in the Mr. Beer Whispering Wheat and the Belgian Blanc and the results were phenomenal!