Mr.Beer Community
Bonsai & Brew

Rate My IPA

Rate My IPA  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the 40 IBU American Ale HME + Pale LME as a base for a Session IPA?

• Golden LME would have been better.
    • Should be OK.
    • Interesting.
  2. 2. You can't go wrong with 2-Row + Crystal 15 for an IPA partial-mash.

• Agree.
    • Disagree.
    • Could have skipped the carapils on this one.
  3. 3. Hops selection and boil times seem reasonable.

• Agree.
    • Disagree.
    • New Belgium has nothing to worry about, ie. don't quit your day job.
  4. 4. Overall impression?

• Look's great!
    • Needs work.
    • At least it's not another unproven weissbier recipe!

Take New Belgium's Slow Ride IPA, inspiration from Mr. Beer's collaboration recipe L.E.O. Session IPA, then throw in some dry-hopping from JoshR's Tangerously Hoppy IPA and you might end up with something like this.  All votes remain anonymous. 

American Ale HME

Pale LME

2-Row Pale Malt, 4 oz.

Crystal Malt 15, 4 oz.

Carapils, 2 oz.

Centennial, 0.5 oz,, 15 min.

Cascade, 0.5 oz., 7 min.

Willamette, 0.5 oz. @ flame-out

Safale US-05

Dry-hop a mix of Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra after 5-7 days.

This is the one I am making. A little less bitter than yours I think. I had no American Ale so threw in the bit of Amber DME to make up for it.

Experimental IPA
American Lager HME, 8oz Pale DME, 4 oz Amber DME,
Grain 30 min  4 oz 2 row, 4oz Carapils, 2 oz Victory, 2 oz Vienna
Hops Simcoe 10 min, Citra 5 min, HBC 438 Flameout and dry hop 7 days. All hop adds 0.5 oz.
US-05 yeast.

13 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Well this is interesting -- New Belgium's "Secret" Dry-Hopping process.  Unfortunately, after reading through it, their process remains a secret (at least to me).B)

http://www.newbelgium.com/community/Blog/new-belgium-brewing/2015/01/14/Inside-Look-Our-secret-Slow-Ride-dry-hopping-process

Yes, I saw the other day something about hops being changed when yeast was active , but from reading their blurb it looks like they circulate the fermenting wort through their dry hop environment and then filter the circulating wort to prevent hops getting back in the fermenter. I suppose one could put a large amount of hops in during active fermentation than pull them out  after a day or 2 so that they remainder of the hop flavorings do not get into the beer. So this is unlike

a) putting hops in at or before flameout and leaving them in until bottling

b.) putting hops in after fermentation and  leaving until bottling (dry hop)

So you could try putting a larger amount - e.g. 2-4 oz (or more) in for 2-3 days only dry in a bag during fermentation (put in 1 or 2 days after flameout) then taking it out.

That would give a different flavor profile than either a) or b.) I would think.

5 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Yes, I saw the other day something about hops being changed when yeast was active , but from reading their blurb it looks like they circulate the fermenting wort through their dry hop environment and then filter the circulating wort to prevent hops getting back in the fermenter. I suppose one could put a large amount of hops in during active fermentation than pull them out  after a day or 2 so that they remainder of the hop flavorings do not get into the beer. So this is unlike

a) putting hops in at or before flameout and leaving them in until bottling

b.) putting hops in after fermentation and  leaving until bottling (dry hop)

So you could try putting a larger amount - e.g. 2-4 oz (or more) in for 2-3 days only dry in a bag during fermentation (put in 1 or 2 days after flameout) then taking it out.

That would give a different flavor profile than either a) or b.) I would think.

That's a good analysis Nick.  What I keep wondering though is what about oxidation introduced from circulating the fermenting wort?  But yet, that must be the secret -- bio transforming the terpene to create the new hop profile, without causing unpredictable off-flavors.  Well, since this is my first IPA since Diablo last August, I will stick with convention and dry-hop the usual way, but I like your idea of a limited active fermentation dry-hop.  Next time...  Cheers! ? 

On 7/15/2016 at 5:00 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Heck, may as well throw in some Hallertau Blanc while I'm at

Nobel hops in the dry hop can get grassy and dirt-tasting, IMO. Hallertau Blanc is good for a late flavor-aroma addition, though. 

37 minutes ago, J A said:

Nobel hops in the dry hop can get grassy and dirt-tasting, IMO. Hallertau Blanc is good for a late flavor-aroma addition, though. 

I was thinking that the Cascade parentage of Blanc might make for a decent dry-hop, but real world experience beats product labeling any day.  Thanks J A.?

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:28 PM, Nickfixit said:

This is the one I am making. A little less bitter than yours I think. I had no American Ale so threw in the bit of Amber DME to make up for it.

Experimental IPA
American Lager HME, 8oz Pale DME, 4 oz Amber DME,
Grain 30 min  4 oz 2 row, 4oz Carapils, 2 oz Victory, 2 oz Vienna
Hops Simcoe 10 min, Citra 5 min, HBC 438 Flameout and dry hop 7 days. All hop adds 0.5 oz.
US-05 yeast.

Bottled this today. Nice fragrant fruity aroma and fruity taste. I think the HBC 438 is a nice hop. Not "in-your-face" bitterness but some lingering on the palate. Dry and refreshing, not super strong tasting. It is pale. I think the American Lager was a good base for this. Maybe a bit more Amber DME would not hurt - or a small amount of Cara malt. Now to wait for carbonation.....

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:44 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Even before I saw this comment, I was going to ask the Forum if anyone has ever had an "early" IPA fresh from the LBK. :)

If that is same as tasting while bottling, yes.  My HBC438 IPA was very nice even uncarbonated at that point.

I recently ordered a BYO IPA recipe magazine, for English, American and Black IPA'S 125 overall, I couldn't believe all of the varieties  an ABV% from 4.5 10.0. what's nice is 90% of the recipes are all grain and partial mash extract. gives the brewer the options