Culchie

Cider Kits

21 posts in this topic

Is there a secret to the Mr.Beer cider kits ? Because I can't seem to get a good batch, no matter how hard I try to follow directions and make sure everything is sterilized good.

Just tastes really alcoholic. I put it in the fridge a couple of weeks after fermentation, before I realized that the yeast wouldn't be able to carbonate the cider at that temp. So then I set it out of the fridge for a couple weeks, hoping it would carbonate. Maybe that's what I did wrong this time. Can you just give me step by step instructions for the new two bottle kits ? I have two kits left, and don't want to ruin those also. Do I have to sterilize longer if equipment has been sitting around for a long time ?? 

That wouldn't cause a hot alcohol flavor. It is a pretty light-bodied cider to begin with and is more akin to dry English ciders than the sweeter American ciders. One thing I like to do is replace a gallon water in my batch with a gallon of pasteurized apple juice. This will add body and some residual sweetness while tempering the alcohol flavor. It will raise your ABV slightly, but the acidity and natural unfermentable sugars will give it some balance.

MB_Brewing_Instructions_Cider_Published2015.pdf

Culchie likes this

The magic ingredient in my Mr. Beer ciders is lactose, and plenty of it.  If what you're looking for in taste is something comparable to Red Apple then I suggest up to 8oz.  That may sound overboard, but it truly isn't.  Good luck! :)

PS-Let me know if you want all of the specifics and I'd be more than happy to share them with you.

MRB Josh R and Culchie like this

Sorry, but I have never made a cider form a kit but making cider from pressed apples requires time. After 9 months or so apple flavors transform from OK into something incredible. Bottom line: you may simply need to allow your cider to age. Again, I am unfamiliar with Mr Beer cider kits but apples contain malic acid and malic is a very sharp flavored acid. Time  - and the right yeast (71B , IMO) is what juice from a good blend of apples need. 

I used Safale S-04 yeast, which is what was supplied in the kit. I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in, being it's a MrBeer forum, and I used a MrBeer kit. Maybe not many people brew the cider. I don't know how you guys can let something sit around for 6 months without drinking it. You must have 5 batches at once or something. I can't afford but one batch at a time. And I can't afford to do that if they are all going to turn out bad. I thought I could save a little money making my own. 

3 minutes ago, Culchie said:

I used Safale S-04 yeast, which is what was supplied in the kit. I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in, being it's a MrBeer forum, and I used a MrBeer kit. Maybe not many people brew the cider. I don't know how you guys can let something sit around for 6 months without drinking it. You must have 5 batches at once or something. I can't afford but one batch at a time. And I can't afford to do that if they are all going to turn out bad. I thought I could save a little money making my own. 

You only save money by buying during sales with a convience product like MRB. Otherwise im sorry to say but 2 gallons at a time is just a hobby and hobbies typically just cost money. No idea about the cider side though. Maybe its different. The beer im drinking right now was a 5 gallon batch of MRB belgian blanc that maybe cost me $20 or so. That was hella on sale. Makes it taste that much better

Culchie likes this

Fresh apple cider is not Mr. Beer cider. You don't need to wait 6 or 9 months.

Mr. Beer cider is not sweet.  Try Josh's suggestion or consider adding lactose. 

So, if I wanted to add pasteurized apple juice to the MrBeer extract, what would be the procedure ? 

I'll hop on to this train. Anything you can do to add sweetness to it while it's sitting in the LBK? This is for my wife and I'm sure she would like SOME sweetness to it.  I made the Apple Brown Beery Recipe.

Just now, AnthonyC said:

Not sure, Bach.  Next time use lots of lactose.  I promise that you won't be disappointed!   :)

Sounds good.  Never brewed the Apple Brown Beery before. Thought it would have some sweetness to it.  The wife may or may not be disappointed depending on final product. haha.

AnthonyC likes this

Just now, Bach's Brews said:

Sounds good.  Never brewed the Apple Brown Beery before. Thought it would have some sweetness to it.  The wife may or may not be disappointed depending on final product. haha.

Ah gotcha!  I've never brewed that recipe.  I thought you were referring to the good ole cider kits.  Sorry bout that. :)

3 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

I made the Apple Brown Beery and bottled it 6/26. It tasted like candy apples on bottling. However, I am not happy with the carbonation. I have very uneven levels of carbonation between bottles despite same priming in each. I figure it will be ready in the fall for frosty Thanksgiving weather.

AnthonyC likes this

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I made the Apple Brown Beery and bottled it 6/26. It tasted like candy apples on bottling. However, I am not happy with the carbonation. I have very uneven levels of carbonation between bottles despite same priming in each. I figure it will be ready in the fall for frosty Thanksgiving weather.

I bet it won't last until then.  One fine fall day and your will shall crumble! ;)

12 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I bet it won't last until then.  One fine fall day and your will shall crumble! ;)

Well, I will have to check out its progress earlier, of course......

AnthonyC likes this

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:41 AM, Nickfixit said:

Well, I will have to check out its progress earlier, of course......

I checked it. Not so sweet now and not my favorite taste after 1 month. Maybe it will improve in time. I believe it needs a lot more maturing but I was curious.

18 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I checked it. Not so sweet now and not my favorite taste after 1 month. Maybe it will improve in time. I believe it needs a lot more maturing but I was curious.

Mine was more tart when I bottled last night. It came out at 9.2%.  We'll see if something happens similar to mine where the tartness goes away or how it matures in the next 2 months.  But again, I did the Apple Brown Beery recipe.