Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MRB Josh R

QBrew Error on Mr. Beer Products

Recommended Posts

Not sure how I never noticed this before, but there is an error on QBrew, a quite obvious one, in fact. The Craft refills in QBrew claim that they yield a gravity of 1.043 if 1 lb is dissolved in 1 gallon of water. This is incorrect. The Craft refills will have the same potential gravity as the regular refills (1.036). Just because they are in a larger can doesn't mean they are also more concentrated. I'm quite embarrassed I never noticed this before (though I don't really use QBrew that much), but now that I'm finishing up the BeerSmith database, I noticed it and it is being updated for BeerSmith. I won't be doing the same for QBrew so you will have to manually update your databases yourselves. Simply change the 1.043 to 1.036 on the craft refills. 

 

7 points difference won't have a huge impact on recipes, but at least they will be more accurate now. I will be going through the recipes on the site that use our Craft refills and updating the IBUs and ABVs to their proper numbers in the coming days. And I should have the BeerSmith database finished soon, too. Stay tuned....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Not sure how I never noticed this before, but there is an error on QBrew, a quite obvious one, in fact. The Craft refills in QBrew claim that they yield a gravity of 1.043 if 1 lb is dissolved in 1 gallon of water. This is incorrect. The Craft refills will have the same potential gravity as the regular refills (1.036). Just because they are in a larger can doesn't mean they are also more concentrated. I'm quite embarrassed I never noticed this before (though I don't really use QBrew that much), but now that I'm finishing up the BeerSmith database, I noticed it and it is being updated for BeerSmith. I won't be doing the same for QBrew so you will have to manually update your databases yourselves. Simply change the 1.043 to 1.036 on the craft refills. 

 

7 points difference won't have a huge impact on recipes, but at least they will be more accurate now. I will be going through the recipes on the site that use our Craft refills and updating the IBUs and ABVs to their proper numbers in the coming days. And I should have the BeerSmith database finished soon, too. Stay tuned....

Oh. Well that will work the way Qbrew had it if you use the same can weight for craft cans as regular ones. Now you changed it, you have to use the actual can weight.

Will you be making additions for Seasonals? Or is there an easy way for us to edit the database?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Oh. Well that will work the way Qbrew had it if you use the same can weight for craft cans as regular ones. Now you changed it, you have to use the actual can weight.

Will you be making additions for Seasonals? Or is there an easy way for us to edit the database?

 

 

The database is super easy to change. You just select edit database or something and then be sure to hit save

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

Oh. Well that will work the way Qbrew had it if you use the same can weight for craft cans as regular ones. Now you changed it, you have to use the actual can weight.

Will you be making additions for Seasonals? Or is there an easy way for us to edit the database?

 

 

 

Seasonals are being phased out in favor of more recipes. .So there will be no info for the seasonals in the database. If you need the numbers, let me know, though. I will see what I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2016 at 1:37 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Not sure how I never noticed this before, but there is an error on QBrew, a quite obvious one, in fact. The Craft refills in QBrew claim that they yield a gravity of 1.043 if 1 lb is dissolved in 1 gallon of water. This is incorrect. The Craft refills will have the same potential gravity as the regular refills (1.036). Just because they are in a larger can doesn't mean they are also more concentrated. I'm quite embarrassed I never noticed this before (though I don't really use QBrew that much), but now that I'm finishing up the BeerSmith database, I noticed it and it is being updated for BeerSmith. I won't be doing the same for QBrew so you will have to manually update your databases yourselves. Simply change the 1.043 to 1.036 on the craft refills. 

 

7 points difference won't have a huge impact on recipes, but at least they will be more accurate now. I will be going through the recipes on the site that use our Craft refills and updating the IBUs and ABVs to their proper numbers in the coming days. And I should have the BeerSmith database finished soon, too. Stay tuned....

I know this is an old thread but glad I found it this morning searching threads about Qbrew! I downloaded it recently along with the screwybrewer MB HME data. Since I've just started brewing PM recipes, I've just been practicing with Qbrew building PM recipes to see how additions affect OG.

I'll make the corrections to my database for the craft refills.

I'm not familiar with Beersmith but sounds like a similar program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Not sure how I never noticed this before, but there is an error on QBrew, a quite obvious one, in fact. The Craft refills in QBrew claim that they yield a gravity of 1.043 if 1 lb is dissolved in 1 gallon of water. This is incorrect. The Craft refills will have the same potential gravity as the regular refills (1.036). Just because they are in a larger can doesn't mean they are also more concentrated. I'm quite embarrassed I never noticed this before (though I don't really use QBrew that much), but now that I'm finishing up the BeerSmith database, I noticed it and it is being updated for BeerSmith. I won't be doing the same for QBrew so you will have to manually update your databases yourselves. Simply change the 1.043 to 1.036 on the craft refills. 

 

7 points difference won't have a huge impact on recipes, but at least they will be more accurate now. I will be going through the recipes on the site that use our Craft refills and updating the IBUs and ABVs to their proper numbers in the coming days. And I should have the BeerSmith database finished soon, too. Stay tuned....

@RickBeer, not sure if you use Qbrew or not, but I've just been checking it out and trying a few test recipes using MB HME for PM.

Regarding the gravity on the post here on the craft and regular refills being 1.036, would the Brewmax LME pack carry the same gravity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @MRB Josh R for these corrections to QBrew. My past and current numbers line up a lot better and make more sense!

While I haven't checked out Beersmith, I'm learning a lot from running my PM recipes through QBrew and seeing how adjuncts and grains effect the OG. Also fun to take an HME and build your own PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly I have been usingthe Brewer's Friend recipe calculator and faking the Mr Beer stuff.

I had DL QBREW before but it seemed the Mr B data was out dated. I downloaded qbrew and the data file again today and it still seems to be outdated.

 

It sure would be nice if selecting a Mr Beer extract populated the weight and hop fields too. but. Hmm.

What can I say, I am just lazy.

 

Is there an updated Mr B data file that has all the current stuff in it?  Link please.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Mostly I have been usingthe Brewer's Friend recipe calculator and faking the Mr Beer stuff.

I had DL QBREW before but it seemed the Mr B data was out dated. I downloaded qbrew and the data file again today and it still seems to be outdated.

 

It sure would be nice if selecting a Mr Beer extract populated the weight and hop fields too. but. Hmm.

What can I say, I am just lazy.

 

Is there an updated Mr B data file that has all the current stuff in it?  Link please.

 

Not that I've found, Nick. What I've been doing is working off a corrected recipe for a craft refill and a standard refill recipe. On each I added a booster and a LME, as it's easier to delete them or double them than it is to re-enter the gravity and so forth. That way all I  have to change is the name of the HME and whatever recipe since all the HME's and LME's are the same gravity.

 

The grains, hops, and yeast have drop down boxes that for the most part usable, though I do have to type in some of the newer strains.

 

Hope that all makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×