Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Creeps McLane

So Long Summer Saison

49 posts in this topic

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, HoppySmile! said:

Scene 1, Take Two

Belle Saison

Mr. Beer HME's:

1- can HME   Bohemian Czech Pilsner

1- can HME  Bavarian Weissbier

Additional Grains:

4 oz. Munich Light Malt Grain

4 oz. Pilsner Malt Grain

4 oz.  Light Wheat Grain

1 oz.   Honey Malt Grain,    All steeped together if possible @ 145 degrees for approx. 30 minutes.

Hops:                                                                                                      IBU's

1/2 oz. Sorachi Ace @ 60 min. boil ( bittering)                                12.0 % Alpha

1 oz.     Nelson Sauvin @ 40 min ( aroma)                                       11.1 % alpha                                

1/2 oz.  German Magnum @ 20 min. ( aroma)                                 13.2 % alpha

1/2 oz.    Hallertau Mittlefruh @ 10 min. ( aroma)                            2.6 % alpha

1/2 oz.    Strisselspalt @ 5 min. ( aroma)                                            3.0 % alpha

1/4 oz.    Calypso @ flame out                                                               14.9 % alpha

Adjuncts:

2 teaspoons of crushed Coriander seed

1 oz. of   Dried Sweet Orange Peel

1/4 oz.    Dried Lemon Peel                                    Add at 20 min. boil in one hop sack

2 lbs of    Orange Blossum Honey

1 lb of      Pilsen Malt LME                                         add  both @ flameout

You can add a booster pack if wanting a lil more kick, but I think the total malt additons will produce sufficient ABV%.

Lallemand's Belle Saison dry yeast will be used this time instead of the Mangrove Jacks French Saison dry yeast. I want to make a comparsion of the two.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:03 AM, HoppySmile! said:

ok, i'm scratchin out this recipe, what i'm trying to attempt is a Boulevard Tank 7 farmhouse ale. I snuck a bottle from the roommate and realize now it's brewed with wheat, and how did I not figure that out b4? probably bcuz I was chugging it instead of enjoying it. so i'm going to repost a new Tank 7 recipe after I brew it up this saturday

decided to replace the Czech pilsner with another weissbier, to make it an all HME wheat for starters. and on the Adjuncts, I added a teaspoon of crushed caradom seed ( spelling )

gonna post the                                                        Boulevard Clone Tank 7   2 gal. LBK

2 cans - Bavarian Weissbier

grains:

8 oz. -     Munich Light malt grain

1 lb   -     Light Wheat Malt grain

1 oz. -      Honey Malt grain

2 oz. -      Victory Malt grain

all grains mixed and steeped together @  140 degrees for 30 minutes

hops:                                       I.B.U.

1 oz. - sorachi ace hop          12.0 % AA        60 min, bittering

1 1/2 oz. -nelson sauvin         11.1% AA         40 min. bittering

1 oz. - german magnum        13.2% AA         20 min. aroma

1 oz. - hallertau mittlefruh      2.6 %  AA         10 min. aroma

1 oz. - strisselspalt                   3.0 % AA           5 min. aroma

1 oz. - calypso                           14.9% AA          flameout

adjuncts:

1 tblsp.- crushed coriander seed

1 tsp.  -  crushed cardomon seed

2 oz.   -   dried sweet orange peel

1/8 oz. -  dried lemon peel....................added together in muslin bag and add to 20 min boil cycle (  I let it sit in the LBK during the complete fermenting process )

1 1/2 lbs - sweet orange blossom honey

1 lb          - wheat malt LME...............................both added at flameout

1 lb           - corn sugar

1/4 lb        - malto dextrin.................for body and ABV% boost added at 20 min boil mix thorououghly .

used the Lallemand Belgian Saison dried yeast and fermented @ 66 degrees,

this recipe blew the lid off several times, so maybe make sure you Do Not go past the designated fill mark, or maybe a little under. I didn't do an O.G./F.G. but you won't be disappointed. bottle condition at least 2-3 months

Bonsai & Brew likes this

2 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

@HoppySmile! You'll have to let me know when you've perfected this clone; it's one of my top five beers. I picked up a 4-pack yesterday for this evening. 

Also one of my favorites. Did a little search on my Zymurgy app and bam! I got a recipe. Thanks again to my awesome AHA membership

IMG_1928.PNG

IMG_1929.PNG

23 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

@HoppySmile! You'll have to let me know when you've perfected this clone; it's one of my top five beers. I picked up a 4-pack yesterday for this evening. 

well i'm close to dead on track with this one, my buddy who absorbs tank 7 religiously saves all the bottles for me. plus he's my taste tester. I gave him a sample on bottle day, yes, it was a bit sweet, but it impressed him. the combo of hops and the adjuncts make a huge difference in my opinion.

Big Sarge likes this

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

Sarge! Fat Tire is officialy sold in Oklahoma!!!! as of Monday

NICE!! Now let's see how long it takes to hit the boondocks down here. We aren't all Tulsa city slickers like you, Hop :lol:

HoppySmile! likes this

supposedly it's served ice cold in bars now, might wanna look into that. as a matter of fact, i'm drinking one right now. and as we are brewers now, i'm desperately trying to figure out the flavor profile so I can duplicate it??? i'm tasting a lightly roasted nut flavor malt. any suggestions what that can be?

21 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

NICE!! Now let's see how long it takes to hit the boondocks down here. We aren't all Tulsa city slickers like you, Hop :lol:

13 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

supposedly it's served ice cold in bars now, might wanna look into that. as a matter of fact, i'm drinking one right now. and as we are brewers now, i'm desperately trying to figure out the flavor profile so I can duplicate it??? i'm tasting a lightly roasted nut flavor malt. any suggestions what that can be?

That is one beer that I just can't nail down. Saison yeast definitely gives an already complex flavor profile a little twist to throw you off. 

here I was scanning through Stroomers post about beer captured, and it's some recipe books he has and the first page he posts, was  the fat tire clone lol, so I copied it! what timing!!

3 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

That is one beer that I just can't nail down. Saison yeast definitely gives an already complex flavor profile a little twist to throw you off. 

38 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

here I was scanning through Stroomers post about beer captured, and it's some recipe books he has and the first page he posts, was  the fat tire clone lol, so I copied it! what timing!!

its all in the timing!! ?

HoppySmile! likes this

I have used Belle Saison and T-58.and both of them warm. I think I prefer the Saison with the Allemande Belle Saison yeast.

I have had no problem with cleaning it up after - i.e. suggestion of later beers being infected by it.

HoppySmile! likes this

mangrove jack's French saison yeast impressed me! I used it on my first saison and when I recently brewed a 5 gal. duplicate I used the white labs French saison. I have no idea how that will taste as it's still in the fermenter

4 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I have used Belle Saison and T-58.and both of them warm. I think I prefer the Saison with the Allemande Belle Saison yeast.

I have had no problem with cleaning it up after - i.e. suggestion of later beers being infected by it.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, Big Sarge said:

I couldn't resist, I opened a bottle of the tank 7 creation , well mainly I just got off work, no liquor store was open yet, and I was outta beer, so besides having just one fat tire in the fridge, which would piss off anyone who has only one beer in their fridge, so I opened one up only from 2 weeks in conditioning stage. Whew! still a "two bottle i'm staying home farmhouse ale!" I probably should have taken an O.G/F.G. readings, but since it was a experimental I wasn't expecting a high ABV%. this thing could be every bit of 8% or better in my opinion. needs at least a good two months, and i'm biting my nails for that to arrive!

dale hihn likes this

12 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I couldn't resist, I opened a bottle of the tank 7 creation , well mainly I just got off work, no liquor store was open yet, and I was outta beer, so besides having just one fat tire in the fridge, which would piss off anyone who has only one beer in their fridge, so I opened one up only from 2 weeks in conditioning stage. Whew! still a "two bottle i'm staying home farmhouse ale!" I probably should have taken an O.G/F.G. readings, but since it was a experimental I wasn't expecting a high ABV%. this thing could be every bit of 8% or better in my opinion. needs at least a good two months, and i'm biting my nails for that to arrive!

Sounds good! I don't blame you for getting anxious, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait too!

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, Big Sarge said:

ok Sarge! I indulged in another 2 this morning. for starers, the first pretty much did me in, i'm still only on my second beer of the day and it's half a glass full still, and doesn't helpi have this pop up stripper on my lower right corner screen dancing, but anyways,.....shoot me an address, be it post box or alienate, and i'll send u 2  bottles so u can judge for yourself? I guarantee my recipe beats the sox off that other guy recipe. this is primarily a wheat recipe, that guys uses more pale malt! Creeps bless his genuine soul doesn't know tank 7 like we do, just like he knows the local breweries to only we would pray to know....

Big Sarge likes this

3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

@HoppySmile!  I found the perfect farmhouse ale recipe that might appeal to both the saison and Will Ferrell fans alike: :)

https://beerandbrewing.com/VNu-9CcAACcA8rc0/article/more-cowbell-farmhouse-ale-recipe

that looks inviting!  and I may try a 2 gal. version to see how it come sout, but "I've got to have more cowbell"

Bonsai & Brew likes this