Mr.Beer Community
MRB Josh R

NEW RECIPE - Lock, Stock, and Barrel Imperial Stout!!!!

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I started soaking the oak chips 2wks ago, which means that they'll be soaking for a total of 4wks.  Will this negatively impact the final product?  Thanks in advance. :)

I still have oak chips soaking in bulliet whiskey, vanilla and cherry extract since spring of 2015!!! I opened the jar last weekend to get a whif!, yum!, may have to re-energize the whiskey part. so I think you should be ok!

4 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I started soaking the oak chips 2wks ago, which means that they'll be soaking for a total of 4wks.  Will this negatively impact the final product?  Thanks in advance. :)

No. The oak can only soak up so much. After about 3 weeks, the chips will be done soaking. Soaking for longer won't hurt, but it won't improve the chips either. Remember to use an airtight container when soaking so the liquor doesn't evaporate.

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

I still have oak chips soaking in bulliet whiskey, vanilla and cherry extract since spring of 2015!!! I opened the jar last weekend to get a whif!, yum!, may have to re-energize the whiskey part. so I think you should be ok!

You are just wasting whiskey, Hoppy. It takes 3 weeks to soak the chips. Anything left after that will eventually evaporate away. 

3 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

No. The oak can only soak up so much. After about 3 weeks, the chips will be done soaking. Soaking for longer won't hurt, but it won't improve the chips either. Remember to use an airtight container when soaking so the liquor doesn't evaporate.

You are just wasting whiskey, Hoppy. It takes 3 weeks to soak the chips. Anything left after that will eventually evaporate away. 

oh I didn't waste any whiskey, the rest went into my belly!

Just now, HoppySmile! said:

oh I didn't waste any whiskey, the rest went into my belly!

I was referring to adding more to the chips. If you already soaked them, they won't get anymore soaked. It would be a waste of whiskey. Instead of adding more, drink it. The chips already have whiskey in them. ;)

6 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Thanks, Josh.  I wasn't sure if it would have a negative impact on taste.  I'll end up putting them into the LBK after they've already soaked for 4wks.  I kinda jumped the gun this recipe. 

Why a year?  I will start cracking these at six months.  Of course at one a week the last one might make it to a year.

I decided to do a double batch (36ish bottles), so I could steep all the grains in one go.  I'm also just combining one stout and one liquid extract per batch, so I won't have the blow off, even if fermenting happens at the high end of the range.  Based on previous experience, I will have no problems with the body I will get out of this.

Imperial Aged Stout. Suggested conditioning time it 6-9 months. So if it is good at 6 months, great at 9 months, I'm guessing it should be mind blowing at a year. :)  

Not gonna lie, I will probably crack one open at 6 months. :D

On 9/6/2016 at 1:55 AM, TacTicToe said:

Got my wood chips soaking now. Waiting a year for this to condition is gonna be tough! :)

Same here.  Got the package delivered today and got the chips soaking immediately.  So two weeks to soak, three weeks in the LBK, minimum of six months bottle conditioning...this is definitely a test of patience! :)

I have this fermenting in my cooler.  If I was to rate this on odor alone, I'd give it a 10/10.  Best smelling Mr. Beer recipe that I've ever had the pleasure of sniffing!  I did follow Josh's advice and added that 3rd St. Pats.  Man, I just need to get this one out of my head and leave it alone! 

On 9/14/2016 at 11:59 AM, AnthonyC said:

I have this fermenting in my cooler.  If I was to rate this on odor alone, I'd give it a 10/10.  Best smelling Mr. Beer recipe that I've ever had the pleasure of sniffing!  I did follow Josh's advice and added that 3rd St. Pats.  Man, I just need to get this one out of my head and leave it alone! 

Did you also add a 4th Smooth LME or just a 3rd HME? 

7 hours ago, TacTicToe said:

Did you also add a 4th Smooth LME or just a 3rd HME? 

In 1 of the recipes I added an extra 1lb of dme, but I added 3 cans of hme to both.  I got them for $5 a can from Walmart back in January.  Both recipes had 3lbs of smooth lme. :)

I finally got this one in the LBK today.  It's my first partial mash brew so I was a little apprehensive, but aside from a minor slippage which spilled about 1/4 cup of wort down the side of the LBK, things went smoothly.  Now the LBK is in a cooler with a couple of bottles of ice, right at 65 degrees.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out...in mid-2017.

Now I need to see what I can brew with the unused grain...

I just finished bottling it.  It tastes great; malty, complex, heavy but without coming across as thick, and with a definite kick.

Now they're resting in my old NewAir wine fridge.  I bought it a few years ago to use as a humidor but recently upgraded.  I was wondering what to do with it when inspiration struck.  16 1/2 liter PET bottles fit perfectly in the bottom.  So now they'll sit there at a steady 65 degrees.  Until April.  -sigh-  I...uh...imagine as the brewer that it's my responsibility to do a periodic quality control check, so maybe February.  B)

30302675671_af79ed506a_z.jpg