Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonsai & Brew

Belgian Dark Strong Ale -- Abbey Quad

24 posts in this topic

Just finished amping-up the Mr. Beer Abbey Dubbel recipe with Belgian specialty grains and some candi sugar:

Bewitched Amber Ale craft HME

BrewMax Smooth LME

Belgian Dark Candi sugar, 0.5 lb.

Abbey malt, 4 oz.

Munich Type I, 3 oz.

CaraBelge, 3 oz.

Special B!, 3 oz.

Crystal hops, 0.5 oz, 5-min. boil 

Safbrew Abbaye yeast

OG:  A little light @ 1.070

Recipe notes:  When brewing beer at 0400 on a Sunday morning, I strongly recommend milling your grains the night before.  I will remember to do that next time.;)

Edited by Bonsai & Brew
Eliminated Crystal hops at flame-out
HoppySmile! and MrWhy like this

That sounds great!  I've never had a Belgian Abbey Quad, but I did brew Northern Brewer's Abbey Dubbel this past late-winter.  It took forever to ferment (2wks primary & 6wks secondary).  I have been conditioning it since April.  I'm planning on drinking it as a fall/winter beer.  I'm very interested in seeing how yours turns out.  Good luck, BB! :)

HoppySmile! and Bonsai & Brew like this

11 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

I'll give you a full review on that when I crack one open in late Oct/early Nov.

I'll look forward to that AC.  The Mr. Beer Abbey has only gotten better with time so I'm sure that your patience will be rewarded. :)

The BJCP style description for a Belgian Dark Strong Ale includes the following statement:  Avoid US/UK crystal type malts (these provide the wrong type of sweetness).  As it pertains to brewing beer, how many types of malt-derived sweetness are there?

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

The BJCP style description for a Belgian Dark Strong Ale includes the following statement:  Avoid US/UK crystal type malts (these provide the wrong type of sweetness).  As it pertains to brewing beer, how many types of malt-derived sweetness are there?

A lot. There is toffee sweetness, caramel sweetness, corn sweetness, bready sweetness, etc. That beer would benefit more from Munich malts, which give more of a bready sweetness. Crystal malts will give it a caramel or toffee sweetness (depending on the malt).

Bonsai & Brew and MrWhy like this

5 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

A lot. There is toffee sweetness, caramel sweetness, corn sweetness, bready sweetness, etc. That beer would benefit more from Munich malts, which give more of a bready sweetness. Crystal malts will give it a caramel or toffee sweetness (depending on the malt).

Thanks Josh.  Other than the CaraBelge, I guess I did OK with the grains.

MRB Josh R likes this

On September 25, 2016 at 5:51 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Just finished amping-up the Mr. Beer Abbey Dubbel recipe with Belgian specialty grains and some candi sugar:

Bewitched Amber Ale craft HME

BrewMax Smooth LME

Belgian Dark Candi sugar, 0.5 lb.

Abbey malt, 4 oz.

Munich Type I, 3 oz.

CaraBelge, 3 oz.

Special B!, 3 oz.

Crystal hops, 0.5 oz, 5-min. boil and 0.5 oz. @ flame-out

Safbrew Abbaye yeast

OG:  A little light @ 1.070

Bottled @ FG 1.008, nice 8.1% Quad ABV.  Abbaye appears to be a very good attenuator. :)

John K. likes this

On 4/18/2017 at 4:55 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

At 6 months, this one has developed a really nice dark caramel finish that enhances the Bewitched maltiness.

This is a beautiful looking brew!

Quick question - where are you getting your belgian grains? Cara....special B....etc? Local source or online?

I am sure the beer is great with the grains you picked....

@MRB Josh R - any plans for Mr. Beer to ever carry these? I would love to be able to order Cara and Special B from you!!!

Bonsai & Brew likes this

1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Quick question - where are you getting your belgian grains? Cara....special B....etc? Local source or online?

@MRB Josh R - any plans for Mr. Beer to ever carry these? I would love to be able to order Cara and Special B from you!!!

Eventually. I have some here in the local store, but they aren't online yet.

MrWhy likes this

2 hours ago, MrWhy said:

Thanks Why!  I've been getting most of my grains from the LHBS -- they have an excellent selection of all the BSG Craft grains including Weyermann (my favorite), Simpson's, Rahr, Crisp, Briess, Chateau, etc..  As for this recipe, I think the Dark Candi Sugar, Safbrew Abbaye yeast, and grains just really work well with the Bewitched AA, one of the best Mr. Beer HMEs for my tastes.?

MrWhy likes this

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Eventually. I have some here in the local store, but they aren't online yet.

GAAAHHHHHAGGAHAHHARRRHHANDDD.

@MRB Josh R -

My only goal in life is to brew a Chimay Blue clone solely ordering through Mr. Beer.

That is it. That is everything I live for.....

Why do you make me wait??????

Why?????????????????????

Bonsai & Brew and MRB Josh R like this

20 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Thanks Why!  I've been getting most of my grains from the LHBS -- they have an excellent selection of all the BSG Craft grains including Weyermann (my favorite), Simpson's, Rahr, Crisp, Briess, Chateau, etc..  As for this recipe, I think the Dark Candi Sugar, Safbrew Abbaye yeast, and grains just really work well with the Bewitched AA, one of the best Mr. Beer HMEs for my tastes.?

You are my muse. 

You are my Gandalf.

You are my Obi Wan.

You are my sorting hat.

2 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

GAAAHHHHHAGGAHAHHARRRHHANDDD.

@MRB Josh R -

My only goal in life is to brew a Chimay Blue clone solely ordering through Mr. Beer.

That is it. That is everything I live for.....

Why do you make me wait??????

Why?????????????????????

I'll see what I can do.

Bonsai & Brew and MrWhy like this

1 minute ago, MrWhy said:

You are my muse. 

You are my Gandalf.

You are my Obi Wan.

You are my sorting hat.

I swear I've only had three beers tonight, but I almost completely mistook that last line to read "you are sorta hot". 

I am ashamed. 

Shrike, MRB Josh R and MrWhy like this

3 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

I swear I've only had three beers tonight, but I almost completely mistook that last line to read "you are sorta hot". 

I am ashamed. 

Ummmmm...

Is anyone saying @Bonsai & Brew is NOT sorta hot??????

Did you not see his grain profile!!!!! #swiperight

MRB Josh R and Big Sarge like this