Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Reese Cup Porter experiment

Toying with the idea of going mad scientist this weekend.  A friend's wife liked a chocolate porter which she tried a couple of weeks ago.  I told her I've heard of adding another flavor to chocolate porter, such as strawberry, blueberry, peanut butter, etc.  She, and her husband, challenged me to make a Reese Cup porter.  This is the first attempt at creating my own recipe, so I'm inviting those who know to comment.

I'll be using:

•1 Can Baltic Porter Brewing Extract
•1 Packet Saflager S-23 Dry Brewing Yeast
•One LME SoftPack - Robust
•One 4oz package of Baker's Unsweet Chocolate Squares
•5-6 oz of PB2

Standard process.  Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize.  Boil 4 cups of water, then remove from heat.  Add chocolate squares and PB2, stir until chcolate has melted.  Add the porter, then the LME.  Fill LBK to 4-quarter with cold water, pour in the wort, add water to 8.5 quarter.  Stir, stir, stir, add yeast.  Ferment for 3 weeks, condition for 6-8 weeks.

I read where baking chocolate kills head retention due to the natural oils, thus I thought using the LME SoftPack.  I've seen adding brown sugar, but am thinking both brown sugar and LME would be too much, so I'm opting for just the LME.  Per Mr. Beer's description of the Baltic Porter,  http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/seasonal-refills/baltic-porter-2015-winter-seasonal-cold-fermenting  this is going to require ferminting temps of 53F to 59F, which will be a huge challenge for me due to living in an upstairs, west-facing apartment.  But I think I can do it (I have some ideas).

I'm welcoming comments, suggetions, remarks, etc.  Thanks in advanced

I would suggest either the S-04 or the US-05. For the chocolate I might suggest the unsweetened cocoa powder, you won't have as many problems with the oil killing head retention but you should still get the cocoa flavor. 

What is pb2? Is that a peanut butter extract or actually peanut butter?

PB2

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=pb2

powdered Peanut Butter.  There is a chocolate version as well, but I thought it would be overkill.

As for the yeast, I'm using the one that came with the HME.  There is one home-brewing store in Louisville, on the other side of town, and I will try to go there to see if they have something else I can use, but short of delaying the project a week in order to purchase another pack from Mr. Beer, I'll have to use what I have.

CORRECTION!!!!!!!!

I checked.......I made a mistake when I looked things up, and didn't check my fridge (where my yeast is).  My HME came with Safale S-04, so per the CORRECT package:

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/seasonal-refills/baltic-porter-2015-winter-seasonal

I need to ferment between 60F and 70F, not cold ferment.  One thing I noticed, the link said to ferment for 14 days, not three weeks.

23 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

You could brew this with Safale S-04 and the warm-fermenting recipe, http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/seasonal-refills/baltic-porter-2015-winter-seasonal -- recipe looks pretty good to me though.;)

I see it came with the S-04. Since you are adding flavoring I think that would be a better choice than the lagering as you will get added ester flavors from the S-04 yeast like in English beer and I think that will go well with what you are adding. (I have not tried it but just a feeling).

That will be around 7.5% then with the Robust pack. Nice and warming for the winter.

I have a can of this and have been debating to use the S-04  or S-23 at appropriate temperatures.

Are they any good experiences with either method people can cite?

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I see it came with the S-04. Since you are adding flavoring I think that would be a better choice than the lagering as you will get added ester flavors from the S-04 yeast like in English beer and I think that will go well with what you are adding. (I have not tried it but just a feeling).

That will be around 7.5% then with the Robust pack. Nice and warming for the winter.

I have a can of this and have been debating to use the S-04  or S-23 at appropriate temperatures.

Are they any good experiences with either method people can cite?

The Baltic Porter that I lagered with S-23 turned out great, but then again, I didn't put any peanut butter in it. :)

image.jpeg

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:12 AM, MiniYoda said:

CORRECTION!!!!!!!!

I checked.......I made a mistake when I looked things up, and didn't check my fridge (where my yeast is).  My HME came with Safale S-04, so per the CORRECT package:

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/seasonal-refills/baltic-porter-2015-winter-seasonal

I need to ferment between 60F and 70F, not cold ferment.  One thing I noticed, the link said to ferment for 14 days, not three weeks.

Did you brew it?

Just now, Bonsai & Brew said:

Did you brew it?

Yep.  about a weeks now in the fermenter.  I'll let it carbonate/condition for 5 weeks instead of 4, which will make an even two months, or early December.  Might make for a nice Christmas gift

considering it was my second or third batch I ever brewed, and first to go without a Mr. Beer recipe, it wasn't horrible.  As for me, a close friend, his wife and their 16 year old daughter (no, I'm not in the business of getting under aged kids drunk....HE have her a sip), it was considered a bit do dark on the chocolate and not enough creamy on the peanut butter. 

I might try it again, but not until I learn and practice more.  It could have been the seasonal porter, and I should try the regular porter they sell here.  Someone somewhere had suggested lactose milk sugar or a light grain to make it creamier.  I'm studying Mr. Beers Smitten Bovine Milk Stout and might try that as the next base.

The fun thing is, as much as I can experiment, I can still drink the mistakes

M.Y.

I found this other topic on PB&C. It has some good ideas. 

I'm going to make one with an American Porter that I have. 4oz Cocoa nibs boiled 5 minutes, 8oz PB2 at flame out, 2oz Lactose, I'm even going to add some Reeses Cereal in a muslin bag after a week fermenting. As soon as I can free up a LBK. We shall see... 

1 hour ago, Steve-Oh said:

I found this other topic on PB&C. It has some good ideas. 

I'm going to make one with an American Porter that I have. 4oz Cocoa nibs boiled 5 minutes, 8oz PB2 at flame out, 2oz Lactose, I'm even going to add some Reeses Cereal in a muslin bag after a week fermenting. As soon as I can free up a LBK. We shall see... 

Let me know when it is ready.....I'll bring the chicken wings