Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
HoppySmile!

You can never have too much yeast.....

10 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

as long as you have some live yeast, expired shouldn't matter. just do a step starter and rebuild the numbers.  expired yeast is not necessarily dead yeast.  just adds cost of DME and time to spin.

And it really helps to have a stir plate. ;)

10 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Hoppy uses this method:

1) Drinks his "normal" amount.

2) Holds yeast container.

3) "Walks" around his house.

Unfortunately he has had to buy unbreakable flasks with sealable lids and even then his frequent falls down the stairs have burst them open...  

19 hours ago, RickBeer said:

frequent falls down the stairs

I used fall down my back porch concrete stairs drunk of course, and sober a few times, bcuz the steps were uneven and different heights. so I commissioned my brother to tear down a children's fort that was in my backyard when I acquired this home, and take what he could out off salvageable wood and build me a deck. and so he did, and its still in place. the conclusion to this story is previously to this construction project I toiled over and over in my head and  came as a final decision I gotta have it now, because a week prior to building the deck, I brought a date home, we both had a few drinks, she was gorgeous, and most likely I would never get this lucky ever again ever in my life, until.... she wanted to go outside in the back yard and she stumbled on the steps and landed face down on the concrete below, busting up her pretty face, and naturally ruining any possibility of me getting laid by a super fine lady like her. but I was a gentleman, I patched her up, drove her home, she said she would call me when she felt better, and I never heard from her again.....

On 10/19/2016 at 8:22 AM, MRB Josh R said:

have 1000 ml flask and stir plate , now the stir plate I was told is ceramic, and about 10 inches round. when I pour the yeast onto the plate how many hours do I keep stirring, bcuz I fell asleep last time I attempted a stir plate yeast prep, and I had been stirring the yeast for 3 days straight, I had to admit myself into E.R. bcuz my arm would not stop moving in circles!! then came cramps, and muscle spasms

On 10/18/2016 at 4:28 PM, Nickfixit said:

OK, so what you are experiencing is the difference in "Attenuation" - the % conversion of sugar to alcohol.

Yes the difference in attenuation is indicated by the yeast specifications from the manufacturers.  Maybe not as much difference as below but it is in the right direction.

If you look online at the 2 yeasts you will see that they list different attenuation figures from the starting OG of  1.050

WB-06      lists - 86%      You got FG say 1.005   from calculator in link, --> Attenuation 90%

WLP-380  lists - 73-80% You got FG say 1.017   from calculator in link, --> Attenuation 65%

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

So there will be some inaccuracy in measurement, but you can see the idea.

So I tasted the brew yesterday. Everything about the two batches is the same except the yeast. Made at the same time, same water, same pitching temp, same time fermenting, same amount of sugar in the bottling process.

The WB-06 is pretty "normal" in terms of beers I have made, with minimal head and not much head retention. Flavor is more or less what I have come to expect from a homebrew weissbeir.

The WLP-380 has WAY more head, and it doesn't go away. The carbonation feel is about the same as for the WB-06 but by eye it seems to bubble more. The 380 has a slightly sweeter flavor, which I guess makes sense if by "attenuation factor" a smaller number means it converts less of the original extract to alcohol. 

I really don't understand it. Just looking at the beers suggests that the 380 left a lot of fermentables in the final product, and somehow the added sugar at bottling woke it up again so I have a lot of carbonation and head? Why didn't it go farther in the fermentation to begin with?

Just now, Bhob said:

So I tasted the brew yesterday. Everything about the two batches is the same except the yeast. Made at the same time, same water, same pitching temp, same time fermenting, same amount of sugar in the bottling process.

The WB-06 is pretty "normal" in terms of beers I have made, with minimal head and not much head retention. Flavor is more or less what I have come to expect from a homebrew weissbeir.

The WLP-380 has WAY more head, and it doesn't go away. The carbonation feel is about the same as for the WB-06 but by eye it seems to bubble more. The 380 has a slightly sweeter flavor, which I guess makes sense if by "attenuation factor" a smaller number means it converts less of the original extract to alcohol. 

I really don't understand it. Just looking at the beers suggests that the 380 left a lot of fermentables in the final product, and somehow the added sugar at bottling woke it up again so I have a lot of carbonation and head? Why didn't it go farther in the fermentation to begin with?

Yes, "attenuation" is the amount of fermentables that the yeast will ferment. A low percentage means it will leave behind some fermentables. The reason why this happens is simply how the yeast was bred. Some yeasts are designed to leave behind more residual sugars than others. A lot of wheat yeasts, especially the German ones, will usually have less attenuation than other yeasts. Saisons, on the other hand, tend to have some of the highest attenuation, even converting some leftover starches, which most yeast cannot do. So saisons will tend to be much drier. Once you have a better understanding of attenuation, it becomes a bit easier to choose the correct yeast for your beer.

50 minutes ago, Bhob said:

There are other factors too.

Different yeasts will make different flavor and other byproducts as they grow and ferment. This will affect apparent flavor and also probably head retention I expect.

Some additional info here http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/12/19/beer-head-retention/

Also I think the yeasts packs may not necessarily contain only one kind of yeast - for instance if the 380 had a very small amount of a different yeast that was higher attenuating but slow acting or maybe you got some evolution to a higher attenuating yeast it would continue eating up the additional sugar after you bottled it and maybe some of the previous residual too.  Yeast varieties do evolve over generations.

46 minutes ago, Bhob said:

So, why doesn't QBrew show a different FG depending upon yeast used?

I couldn't tell you that because Qbrew isn't a Coopers/Mr. Beer product. I never pay attention to the FG Qbrew says, only the FG my hydrometer says. Qbrew is intended to give a rough estimate, not a specific number.

It's usually pretty close though using the Mr. Beer yeasts and SafeAle. But it doesn't seem to include yeast in the calculation. I was planning on making my version of a Weissbeir using 6 Golden LME's with a hop addition of my own just to see how it goes, but when I used QBrew to check it over it didn't change the FG with different yeasts.

Doh! But...... it is a couple of clicks  away and without checking out Cooper's who would know?

But Cooper's  site has a good range of HMEs too, not all the same as Mr B. (The Australian Flair - and maybe a different recipe for the  taste of a different continent who like ice cold beers.)

I have brewed a couple of the Cooper's HMEs and I have been impressed even with the standard recipe result for Original Dark Ale and Thos Cooper's Selection Pilsener (drinking these) and Australian Bitter (maturing this)  I have others in my queue, interspersed with Mr Beer recipes, with Australian Sparkling Ale next. Split between 3 LBKs (Or you can split between 2 for stronger taste) one can add different malt and other fermentables and hops to each if desired.

Mr Beer though, provides much more information and support from what I see, and a much larger range of recipes and of course the partial mash kits.  And a nicer web site I think.

13 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Doh! But...... it is a couple of clicks  away and without checking out Cooper's who would know?

But Cooper's  site has a good range of HMEs too, not all the same as Mr B. (The Australian Flair - and maybe a different recipe for the  taste of a different continent who like ice cold beers.)

I have brewed a couple of the Cooper's HMEs and I have been impressed even with the standard recipe result for Original Dark Ale and Thos Cooper's Selection Pilsener (drinking these) and Australian Bitter (maturing this)  I have others in my queue, interspersed with Mr Beer recipes, with Australian Sparkling Ale next. Split between 3 LBKs (Or you can split between 2 for stronger taste) one can add different malt and other fermentables and hops to each if desired.

Mr Beer though, provides much more information and support from what I see, and a much larger range of recipes and of course the partial mash kits.  And a nicer web site I think.

We maintain both websites and all ordering through the sites goes through us. Admittedly, we haven't maintained the Coopers site as well as the MRB site, but that will be changing in the coming year as we integrate both sites together.

Mr. Beer is expanding from just sellers of 2 gallon HME kits. Eventually we will have everything you could need for homebrewing (including for all-grainers). It won't happen overnight, but that is the direction we have decided to go.