Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai & Brew

Feels Like the First Time...

I'm sure we all remember our first batch of Angry Bovine (Chocolate) Milk Stout -- mine was Dec. 20th, 2015.  I gave that recipe 5 stars, but I finally got around to brewing the partial mash version to see how much better it can get.  Specialty grains were carapils, Caramel 60, and Chateau Chocolat, all 2 oz.. I'm also going to ferment this with Danstar Windsor, as Hoppy bought all the Safale S-04.?

Just a quick follow-up and anecdote on this one:  Everything that you've read on the Internet about Danstar Windsor yeast is true.  Seriously though, fermentation stalled at 1.022 and attenuation was a paltry 53% leaving me with a 3.2% ABV very sweet stout indeed.  That said, I actually liked the sample @ bottling -- this just might become my go-to beer to enjoy with a brownie and ice cream.

On 11/24/2016 at 6:11 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Just a quick follow-up and anecdote on this one:  Everything that you've read on the Internet about Danstar Windsor yeast is true.  Seriously though, fermentation stalled at 1.022 and attenuation was a paltry 53% leaving me with a 3.2% ABV very sweet stout indeed.  That said, I actually liked the sample @ bottling -- this just might become my go-to beer to enjoy with a brownie and ice cream.

Yeah, it's definitely a low attenuating yeast. But this makes it a great choice for ciders and such, too. We should have it in soon, btw. ;)

On 11/24/2016 at 8:11 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

53% is a little low for Windsor or any of the English yeast.  I normally get somewhere in the 63% to 67% range.  English yeasts are tough little buggers to keep from flocking out too early.  I start fermentation in the low 60s and then gradually raise the temperature through the first 4 days to 68.  English yeast will drop out if they are too cold and the gentle rise seems to help.  These yeast do create the wanted "chewy" character of English beers, too dry and they just aren't right.

38 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

53% is a little low for Windsor or any of the English yeast.  I normally get somewhere in the 63% to 67% range.  English yeasts are tough little buggers to keep from flocking out too early.  I start fermentation in the low 60s and then gradually raise the temperature through the first 4 days to 68.  English yeast will drop out if they are too cold and the gentle rise seems to help.  These yeast do create the wanted "chewy" character of English beers, too dry and they just aren't right.

A little yeast nutrient doesn't hurt either. ;)

FWIW I found another use for my under-attenuated Angry Bovine stout -- cookies!  Here's the link to the recipe that I followed: http://www.sweetphi.com/chocolate-chip-oatmeal-stout-cookies/.  

Here's the thing.  My LHBS operates out of the back of our Hardware Hank store downtown.  I signed up with their brew club some months ago, only to get bombarded with spams and e-mails on a daily basis usually announcing sales on lawn rakes, Bondo and such, but the e-mail that I received on Wednesday piqued my interest -- a cookie contest with a KitchenAid Mixer as the grand prize.  My wife would LOVE a new mixer for Christmas -- I will do this!  Here is my edge -- all the brew club members got that same e-mail inviting them to either enter the bake-off OR judge the cookies.  Figuring that there could be more than a handful of homebrewers that sign up as judges, I could easily play on their weakness and bake a beer-themed cookie -- sure thing, right?  This is where you guys come in -- part of the judging is based on presentation so I need some ideas for a poster, accessory, or some other gimmick to bring it home!  What's in it for you?  Just the thought of knowing that you've helped a fellow brewer out by saving him a trip to the mall to buy yet another lame gift certificate for his wife for Christmas!  Win-win!

image.jpeg

The thought did occur to me that rather than using Sweet Angry Bovine, I could go off the board and use a bottle of the Lock, Stock & Barrel Stout instead.  But I've been so good keeping my mitts off that beer.  Do I really want to boil away my very first bottle just for a batch of cookies?  Hmmmm....

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

The thought did occur to me that rather than using Sweet Angry Bovine, I could go off the board and use a bottle of the Lock, Stock & Barrel Stout instead.  But I've been so good keeping my mitts off that beer.  Do I really want to boil away my very first bottle just for a batch of cookies?  Hmmmm....

image.jpeg

Simply put,  Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!