Mr.Beer Community
JoshR

NEW Product - Refractometer!!

refractometer-1_lw_.jpg

We now have refractometers! These are used like hydrometers, but they only need a few drops instead of a large sample. They do require extra calculations for accuracy, but it's worth it to save that extra bit of beer. It also works great for checking to see if fermentation is done.

These have the aluminum body instead of the plastic ones and they show both Brix and SG. It also has automatic temperature control so temp adjustments aren't needed. You may need to do a wort adjustment and FG adjustment, though (instructions and adjustment calculators are available on the product page).

Get yours HERE!

Oh no..... these are nice. I just bought one used from a local guy who is having sadly having to give up brewing. But it seems you still have to use the Hydrometer for FG unfortunately. Someone needs to invent a refractometer that does OG and FG.

25 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Oh no..... these are nice. I just bought one used from a local guy who is having sadly having to give up brewing. But it seems you still have to use the Hydrometer for FG unfortunately. Someone needs to invent a refractometer that does OG and FG.

There are calculations you can do for FG so you don't need a hydrometer, but a hydrometer will still be slightly more accurate for FG. Doing some comparisons with both tools over a few batches will give you an idea as to how much you will need to adjust with each batch. The instructions will have more information on this.

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

There are calculations you can do for FG so you don't need a hydrometer, but a hydrometer will still be slightly more accurate for FG. Doing some comparisons with both tools over a few batches will give you an idea as to how much you will need to adjust with each batch. The instructions will have more information on this.

I think mine is the same kind as yours,  ATC temperature compensated, but the instructions are not clear on FG. I think there must be corrections on some website somewhere but did not find anything I liked.

Today though I found this - I might try it and see how it correlates.

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

e.g.

refractometer calc.png

40 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Josh, I was looking at the page for the refractometer.

http://www.mrbeer.com/brix-refractometer

Maybe I'm not understanding something, but is the second word of the third paragraph "hydrometer' correct? or shoud it be refractormeter?

Thanks for the catch! I'll have that updated.

EDIT: This has been updated.

I didn't want to start a whole new Refractometer thread, so I thought I'd ask here. How off is the ABV using a refractometer as opposed to a hydrometer? The other night night it bothered me how much I'm drawing off the LBK to take a hydrometer reading. If we're talking 1/4 to 1/2% ABV, then that is nothing compared to losing a lot of beer. 

6 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Once alcohol has been produced, a refractometer is no longer accurate.  You can use a refractometer adjustment calculator to get close.  https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

It is not accurate but it is consistantly off (or at least mine is).  I use Beersmith's refractometer calculator and I am off by .2 gravity points compared to a hydrometer.  Much smaller sample and for me it is close enough.

5 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

It is not accurate but it is consistantly off (or at least mine is).  I use Beersmith's refractometer calculator and I am off by .2 gravity points compared to a hydrometer.  Much smaller sample and for me it is close enough.

Maybe you will be happier (and more uninformed) if you do not use the hydrometer - lol.