Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai & Brew

Doppelmunder Import?

I've been wondering what to do with an expired HME so I milled some grain and brewed up a Doppelbock for next Spring:

Doppelmunder Import

2014 Summer Seasonal Dortmunder Export (best before March, 2016)

Booster, ½ pack

Pilsen malt, 4 oz.

Munich Type I, 4 oz.

Special B, 4 oz.

CaraMunich Type II, 3 oz

Carafa Special II (dehusked), 2 oz.

Hersbrucker, 1 oz. 10-min. boil

Mangrove Jack's M84 Bohemian Lager yeast

OG was 1.074

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I've been wondering what to do with an expired HME so I milled some grain and brewed up a Doppelbock for next Spring:

Doppelmunder Import

2014 Summer Seasonal Dortmunder Export (best before March, 2016)

Booster, ½ pack

Pilsen malt, 4 oz.

Munich Type I, 4 oz.

Special B, 4 oz.

CaraMunich Type II, 3 oz

Carafa Special II (dehusked), 2 oz.

Hersbrucker, 1 oz. 10-min. boil

Mangrove Jack's M84 Bohemian Lager yeast

OG was 1.074

That looks really good, B&B!  You create such interesting recipes, and I think this might turn out to be one of your best.

1 hour ago, MichaelL said:

That looks really good, B&B!  You create such interesting recipes, and I think this might turn out to be one of your best.

Thanks Michael!  I blame Qbrew, BSG Craftbrewing, craftbeer.com, the BJCP, but especially all the crazies running around on this Forum (you know who you are)!;) 

On October 26, 2016 at 8:37 AM, HoppySmile! said:

lemme know how this turns out. I have four Dortmunders

Tasting notes 3/24/17:  Nice, dark and malty 6.6% ABV lager with definite Munich flavors that balance quite well with the Hersbrucker addition.  Having a hard time picking up on the Special B, but this beer is good enough to justify picking up another Mr. Beer Dortmunder or two and fermenting with Saflager w-34/70 next time (attenuation with the MJ Bohemian Lager M84 yeast was only 68%).  Overall, a pretty tasty Doppelbock to celebrate the return of Spring.??

image.jpeg

On 10/3/2017 at 7:47 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

And here is the last mug of Doppelmunder -- sure gonna miss those Mr. Beer Seasonals!

image.jpeg

I know this is late response compliments to your beer but recently I got another friend Finally started brewing with a Mr. Beer kit I gave him over a year ago along with a Dortmunder and an Octoberfest lager. About a few months ago he asked me to come over and help him get started on this kit and when I got over to his house he had these two beers in the fridge. It dawned on me that one of them was a Dortmunder I brewed with 6 german hops. We poured two glasses worth and I must say that was probably the best german lager I’ve ever tasted! Plus I drank it Very slow  bcuz of the ABV% slap in the face! My friend told me if I had enuf patience I cud enjoy this! I really just can’t wait a year man.....