Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
itsstouttime

Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout

20 posts in this topic

Highly recommend the Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout ! This was the best stout I've ever had. I had 5 friends over and poured a glass of Guinness and a glass of Sticky and everyone voted unanimously for the Sticky. They all,myself included, thought the Sticky had a lot more going on with the flavor. I did add 4 oz of carapils, which made a huge lasting head .Next time I will only add 2 oz. of carapils. Mr Beer needs to continue adding more partial mashes. Wish I would have took some pics, but this stuff went quick. Next time.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info RickBeer . I've pretty much been drinking Bud my whole life , just now enjoying the variety . Definitely enjoy the Oatmeal Stout .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, itsstouttime said:

Thanks for the info RickBeer . I've pretty much been drinking Bud my whole life , just now enjoying the variety . Definitely enjoy the Oatmeal Stout .

 

We forgive you.

Bach's Brews likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, itsstouttime said:

Thanks for the info RickBeer . I've pretty much been drinking Bud my whole life , just now enjoying the variety . Definitely enjoy the Oatmeal Stout .

Don't feel bad but it is quite difficult to make beer like Bud. Probably a good thing.

John K., itsstouttime and sabres032 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cracked my first bottle of the Sticky Wicked Oatmeal Stout on my vacation this weekend. It was nice and dark with a nice coffee-chocolate aroma and a nice creamy head. Flavor was what I expected but a little light on body. One of the better Mr. Beer partial mash recipes for sure but needs some more grains to bring out it's full potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sabres032 said:

I cracked my first bottle of the Sticky Wicked Oatmeal Stout on my vacation this weekend. It was nice and dark with a nice coffee-chocolate aroma and a nice creamy head. Flavor was what I expected but a little light on body. One of the better Mr. Beer partial mash recipes for sure but needs some more grains to bring out it's full potential. 

Or maybe some lactose?

sabres032 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, What was you OG.?  I just poured my 2nd batch into the fermenter and just like the first batch, starting off at 1.040.  

Instructions say to expect approx 1.040

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, walt_felix said:

Just curious, What was you OG.?  I just poured my 2nd batch into the fermenter and just like the first batch, starting off at 1.040.  

Instructions say to expect approx 1.040

Off topic Walt, but your costumes are awesome!!  ??

walt_felix likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, walt_felix said:

Just curious, What was you OG.?  I just poured my 2nd batch into the fermenter and just like the first batch, starting off at 1.040.  

Instructions say to expect approx 1.040

 

The OG on my batch measured 1.048, FG measured 1.013. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, So you are coming in about were the instructions state (just noticed a typo in my earlier post.   Instructions actually say to expect approx 1.047).  On both batches I had 1.040 and a batch of Naughty Cream Ale I started this morning, same thing, also lite at 1.040.  Only thing I can think of is the grains did sit in the fridge for a few months.  Wife stuck them in that damn Vegetable drawer and I completely forgot about them, like I'm ever going to look in the F%^&n vegetable drawer.  Remembered I had ingredients for two Partial Mash recipes in the frige while chatting with my nephew at my Sister In-law's on Thanksgiving.  He was serving a nice Dubbel and two different hard Ciders he brewed up over the last few months.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sabres032 said:

What was the temperature of the wort when you measured OG? If it was warmer than 60 degrees did you correct? 

 

The wort was at 61 degrees so the correction would be less than a thousandth.  I assume the Mr. Beer Hydrometer is calibrated for 60.  Not sure why I keep coming up short. 

sabres032 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, walt_felix said:

 

The wort was at 61 degrees so the correction would be less than a thousandth.  I assume the Mr. Beer Hydrometer is calibrated for 60.  Not sure why I keep coming up short. 

 

There so little difference between 1.048 and 1.040 that I wouldn't sweat it. It only equates to a fraction of a percentage point for abv, the human pallet will perceive. The only thing that matters is what the final product tastes like. If it's something you are happy with run with it. 

walt_felix likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sabres032 said:

 

There so little difference between 1.048 and 1.040 that I wouldn't sweat it. It only equates to a fraction of a percentage point for abv, the human pallet will perceive. The only thing that matters is what the final product tastes like. If it's something you are happy with run with it. 

Yeah, That's what figured.  More a curiosity as I generally tend to be a control freak with my projects.  The first batch of Sticky Wicket came out great, though slightly lighter in the ABV than advertised.   The batch with Bourbon Staves I put in the chamber yesterday, I caught a good whiff this morning when I opened the top of the chamber to put in the 2nd LBK of Naughty Cream Ale.  If it tastes half as good as it smells, that will be an awesome batch.  The staves, which smelled incredible when I first open the package, sat in a mason jar of Jefferson's Ocean all summer.  Looking forward to the finished product.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0