magick888

Shameless stout

9 posts in this topic

Planning to Brew a Batch of Shameless Stout, I have a booster and brewmax LME Softpack and an safale S-04 yeast pack should I use the yeast that's under the cover of the Irish Stout

or should I Discard that one. or use both of Them.

The US-04 is a good choice too. The US-05 is my "go-to" yeast,. It has a very clean finish and taste. However, I think the 04 adds a little more to the flavor profile. F.G. is not an issue. To me, the MB yeast falls between the two. BTW, for my taste, I would not add the booster, you'll have plenty of fermentable sugars and body without it.  Also - welcome to the forum.

John K. likes this

I'm resurrecting this old topic to add my current experience with this recipe and yeast. Yesterday, I brewed the Shameless Stout exactly as described, stout extract, robust LME and 2 boosters. I don't know if it is this recipe or the S-04 yeast, but wow - I have not seen fermentation as rapid as this within 24 hours. Krausen is already touching the cap. I'm trying to make sure the temp stays in the low range so I don't blow the top off. Probably should not have pitched that whole packet. I know that is intended for 5 gallons. Good thing I have it contained in an ice chest. 

SilverBrewerWI and Cato like this

1 hour ago, Marius said:

I'm resurrecting this old topic to add my current experience with this recipe and yeast. Yesterday, I brewed the Shameless Stout exactly as described, stout extract, robust LME and 2 boosters. I don't know if it is this recipe or the S-04 yeast, but wow - I have not seen fermentation as rapid as this within 24 hours. Krausen is already touching the cap. I'm trying to make sure the temp stays in the low range so I don't blow the top off. Probably should not have pitched that whole packet. I know that is intended for 5 gallons. Good thing I have it contained in an ice chest. 

I had a similar experience with S-04.....pitch it and off to the races...I was very happy with it.

Cato likes this

That is good to know. It was the first time I've worked with it. After two days the krausen subsided and things are looking normal. So does everyone pitch the whole packet for one LBK? I hated to waste any of it but don't want lazy yeast. Also not confident about splitting it in two and saving it for later. I just put the whole packet.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:47 PM, Marius said:

One tip I've picked up from here on the forum is that when you put the lid on the LBK, tighten it all the way down as normal and then loosen it 1/4 turn.  

Marius, Cato and gophers6 like this

5 hours ago, Marius said:

That is good to know. It was the first time I've worked with it. After two days the krausen subsided and things are looking normal. So does everyone pitch the whole packet for one LBK? I hated to waste any of it but don't want lazy yeast. Also not confident about splitting it in two and saving it for later. I just put the whole packet.

Yeah, I just pitch the whole thing.  One thing I do when it's not mr beer yeast, and I have no idea why I insist on doing it really (I just do), is I rehydrate before pitching.  Even the manufacturer says it doesn't make a difference and I'm using double what I really need, but it's just what I do.

Creeps McLane likes this