Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Creating a recipe database

Still going................version 0.7

- Finished recipe page 7.  My fingers hurt.
- Swapped Fruit column and Hop Sack column.  Now Hops and Hop Sack are next to each other.  Just kinda made more sense
- Removed Fermentation and Carbonation columns.  If any recipe calls for something other than 3 weeks for each, I'll add that data to the instructions
- Technically, a jalapeño is a fruit, but I've put reference to them in "Other".  By popular vote, I can change this.

Haven't heard from anyone about the spreadsheet.  I could still use some help, especiall the "Ideal Temperature" field.  Most of Mr. Beer's recipe pages don't have this, and I really don't want to guess.  Comments and suggestions are welcomed.  I'm going to keep working on it this weekend but don't forsee that I will be done this weekend.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks

MiniYoda

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

version 0.72. minor update

- finished page 10 of the recipes (no, not that much work, most of the items were "refill"
- more records added.  A few...but some
- fixed (I think) issues with "yeast" and "cider".

Big news is that I've installed MS SQL Server Express 2016 SP1 on one of my computers.  Why do you care?  Right now, you don't.  The ultimate plan is to have a database where people can search and recipes.  You can't have a database unless you have a database server.  I am very familiar with Microsoft products (not the best, but it works), so that is why I'm using it. 

I need to work on SQL scripting to search/udpate/etc the recipes.  This will take a while, as I haven't writen SQL code since two presidents ago.  To do this work, I will need to take a brief pause on updating the spreadsheet.  I still request that everyone look things over on the spreadsheet and submit your opinions.  Once I get the DB server working, I'll work on the web server.  And no, that WON'T be fun

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

It looks good so far, The ferment temperatures will follow the yeast included with the kit.

Custom recipes will include an alternate yeast that administer flavor. Nice work and commitment.

A hyperlink in the spreadsheet to procedure guidelines for each recipe might help some as well. All are different.

I like it, M

4 hours ago, MnMBeer said:

It looks good so far, The ferment temperatures will follow the yeast included with the kit.

Custom recipes will include an alternate yeast that administer flavor. Nice work and commitment.

A hyperlink in the spreadsheet to procedure guidelines for each recipe might help some as well. All are different.

I like it, M

Thanks for the comments.  All information that I have is based on the recipe page.  In all cases, the temperature range is there, but in most cases the ideal temperature isn't.  I can guess at most of them, but it's not for me to do so, as I didn't create them and don't know enough to be 100% certain.  Every entry has a hyperlink a the end of the record, which (should) jump to the page for the recipe.  If I missed one, please let me know.

On 11/25/2016 at 10:16 PM, MiniYoda said:

yea........I'm Back

version 0.6.  Getting closer

- Finished page 5 of Mr. Beer's recipes
- There were some recipes that require malts, but weren't shown as "Partial Mash".  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if you have to steep grains, this makes it a Partial Mash.

Steeping grains is not mashing. It's a difference between time and temperature maintenance. With mashing, the temperature range that must be maintained is much narrower. You mash for 60 minutes, steeping is usually 30 minutes. While they are 'similar', they are not the same. 

3 hours ago, scouterbill said:

Steeping grains is not mashing. It's a difference between time and temperature maintenance. With mashing, the temperature range that must be maintained is much narrower. You mash for 60 minutes, steeping is usually 30 minutes. While they are 'similar', they are not the same. 

This is one of those situations where the brain wanted to type one thing, but the fingers had something else planned.  For now, I'm going to leave the spreadsheet as "none" or "partial mash", which is what Mr. Beer has.  More entries can be added here in the future.

version 0.8

- Page 11 of the recipes finished.  11 recipes added (one on the page was a refill pack)

- Fixed issues with the Hops field caused by inconsistencies

- A few more fixes here and there

Going to put the spreadsheet to a test tomorrow.  I have 16 cans of HME, and want to see what I need to buy as far as LME, DME, boosters, hops, etc, in order to have some interesting things brewing/conditioning.

MiniYoda

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Good job on this, Yoda.  I didn't look at all of them carefully, but I did find one typo.  When I filtered to look at recipes using the Czech Pilsner refill (because I have an extra one without a plan yet), it mistakenly included the Cerealiously Lucky Charms Milk Stout.  Take a look when you get the chance.

thanks for pointing that out.  Somehow the recipe for Armstrong Dortmunder Export got in for the Cereal record.

I found the recipe in the archives, and fixed most of the information.  I read the thread for this recipe, and saw where MRB Josh suggested 6-8 weeks for conditioning.  I didn't see anything for OG, FG, ABV, SRM or IBU, so if anyone has made this recipe and wants to send the data to me, I'll add it to the next release (sometime this weekend)

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:00 PM, MiniYoda said:

Still going................version 0.7

- Finished recipe page 7.  My fingers hurt.
- Swapped Fruit column and Hop Sack column.  Now Hops and Hop Sack are next to each other.  Just kinda made more sense
- Removed Fermentation and Carbonation columns.  If any recipe calls for something other than 3 weeks for each, I'll add that data to the instructions
- Technically, a jalapeño is a fruit, but I've put reference to them in "Other".  By popular vote, I can change this.

Haven't heard from anyone about the spreadsheet.  I could still use some help, especiall the "Ideal Temperature" field.  Most of Mr. Beer's recipe pages don't have this, and I really don't want to guess.  Comments and suggestions are welcomed.  I'm going to keep working on it this weekend but don't forsee that I will be done this weekend.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks

MiniYoda

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

nicely done!!! I wouldn't have a clue on how to start such a task! I can barely know how to type on a keyboard using one finger....

Thanks for the kind words folks, both public and PM.  Also again thanks to wvu1989 for pointing out the recipe mistake.

I have a busy week at work (for a change), and a busy weekend, but I'll add as many recipes as I can.  I haven't revisited the database server issue...that might wait until vacation week (12/26-12-30)

Again, folks, thanks warmly for the comments.  Everyone here is making it feel like this tiny bit of work is worth my while

Please, however, don't think this is a solo project.  I'm opening it to everyone here to help out.  Feel free (hit to MRB Josh, MRB Tim, the Brewing Guru, brew masters, brew meisters and brew misters) to help out with the project:

1)  Help me with the missing information.  It's the cells in red.  There are holes in the original recipe pages that need to be filled.  Some have ideal temperature, some don't.  For example, there are a LOT that are range of 68-76 but no ideal temp.  Tangerously Hoppy IPA has the same temp range but an ideal of 70.  Does this mean that all in this range should be ideal 70?  I've seen the suggestion to always brew non-lagers at 65....do we do this for all the non-lager recipes?   I can half <CENSORED> guess at some, but I really don't want to.  I rather those in the know do this.  Just change the cells from red to green (or your favorite college team's color), and add the info, then send the spreadsheet back to me by personal message (aka PM)

2)  Help me with the incorrect information.  It's the cells in white....well, not all of them.  I've made some fixes myself, and fixed some stuff from suggestions on this thread and by PM.  However, there are cases where I'm not sure if the info is correct.  For example, Velvet Elvis has Temp range of 59-75 and ideal of 72, while Watermelon Wheat has the same range but ideal of 65.  This could be because of the difference in HME and/or Yeast and/or fruit added, but as a beginner, I just am not confident to say what is correct.  Please feel free to look at each recipe and let me know if you agree or don't agree.

3) Help me with your opinion.  Especially for "type".  Some of the types listed are because of the HME, some are because of the comments on the recipe page, some are red because I simply didn't know (Barley's Cucumber Cerveza could be either Cerveza, or fruit....yes a cucumber is a fruit).  If you know more about this recipe, and I guessed the wrong "type", let me know.

4)  Suggest additions to fields (the columns).  I *really* want to add "Season", and have information such as Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Halloween, Christmas, 4th of July, Easter, Arbor Day, etc, etc, etc.  This way, you could select "Christmas" as the season, "porter" as the HME, sort by ABV, and with this search you would look at Total Time and figure out when to start brewing a strong holiday porter in time to share with Santa.  Or, select "4th of July" for season, "fruity" for Flavor, and you'll know when to start a red raspberry and blue blueberry ale to have it ready by Independence Day (with honors to Barley).

I should have all the recipes on Mr. B's web site added by Sunday evening.  Will put in overtime if need by (I'll only charge double time for weekend hours).  If you want to wait until the final spreadsheet, feel free to do so.  I'll be putting the project on "visual hold" once the spreadsheet is done.  I have a lot of work to do on the database server, importing the data, adding tables, normalizing the database, and creating the T-SQL for search, add, delete, edit, and secure confirm.  After that I need to set up the web server, and write ASP code to display and submit web page information.  SORRY.......I geeked out there for a second.  That basically means I need to create a place to store the data and add web pages so that we can search the recipes, add new ones (with approved people approving the info), and edit information.  I'm hoping that by vacation week (12/24 to 1/4), I will have a functional web site, but I might not be as complete on this as I'd like.

MiniYoda......Hoppy and Happy

version 0.95.  ALMOST there

All 146 recipes of Mr. Beer's library that I can find are now on the spreadsheet.  If I missed one (wouldn't surprise me), please let me know.  Had to take some records out.  These involved product such as hard pear cider or winter dark ale, which are no longer available.  Can't believe I missed out on the hard pear cider.  DANG IT.

There is a heck of a mess when it comes to Conditioning and Total time.  The problem is that one month isn't 4 weeks. 6 months is 26 weeks, but 6x4 is 24.  I'm going to have to do some thinking when it comes to these two fields.  Do I go with only weeks, only months, or somehow figure out how to combine both.  I will figure something out, and will fix everything for the final release.

Still lots of pink...missing information. I'm hoping that those in the know can help me to add info.  I want this to be a community effort.  Eventually this data will be online, and will be searchable/updateable.  Once the spreadsheet is "done", I will work on the database server and the web pages to make online.  I'd like to be as close as possible to "done" before we go online, and I'd like your input to get there

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

version 0.99  Almost the last version of the spreadsheet.  The only change is to Pumpkin Rising.  Instead of the long winded recipe instructions, I simply put See Directions.

Had to do this, because I *FINALLY* have a database server and the spreadsheet loaded, and had an issue with too much information in "Special Instructions" for that recipe.  What this means to the average non-geek....nothing.  Sorry.  What this means to us true geeks (and any nerds) is that I've passed the first step into putting the spreadsheet online.  there's a LOT to go, but I'm slowly getting there.  I have to fix the fields, and try to make "Special Instructions" hold more information. Also, "link" lost the link, and some fields didn't convert correctly.  But, it's one step closer

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Version 1.0.  Final release.........until further notice

Fixed many issues with the HME, LME, Malt and Hops.  MANY MANY issues with "Malt". There *is* a difference between Pilsner and Pilsen.  Also, I'm going with ounce, not with Mr. Beer 4oz packets.  I'm thinking that some people might buy their supplies from somewhere other that this site (SHAME on them!).  While Mr. Beer sells their malts in 4oz packets, it's probably possible that people can buy grains in larger quantities.  To make sure the recipe is as accurate as possible, I'm going with ounces.  Discussion is open.

Found and fixed lots of issues while transferring the spreadsheet to the database server.  The spreadsheet had issues........Sticky Sticky Sticky issues.  Please, feel free to help me find more.  I'd like to fix all the issues on this spreadsheet before the database goes live

Added the recipe for Mulled Cider.  I will add all future recipes to the spreadsheet but won't post updates until the database server is up and running.  Discussion Is Open

After lots of thought, I decided to make "Hard Cider Refill" an HME.  Before you go ballistic, I know that there is no Hops, no Malt, and no Extract in a hard cider refill.  But, Cider is the core ingredient in several recipes.  You can make the Brigid's Blonde without the pale LME, but you can't make the Booberry Gobbler without the Hard Cider Refill.  Unless there is a reason not to do so, I'll make cider an HME and not put it in the Fruit column.  Discussion is open

Data is *FINALLY* on the database server.  What that means....not much, yet.  I now have to build a web server.  But, this project is getting closer.  I'm still hoping that people will look over the spreadsheet and help me fix the information.

This project won't have many more updates for a while. It'll take a while to get the web server set up, and then lots of web programming.  My plan is, by the end of the year, we'll have something up and running.

adoYiniM

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

On 12/11/2016 at 4:14 PM, MiniYoda said:

Version 1.0.  Final release.........until further notice

Fixed many issues with the HME, LME, Malt and Hops.  MANY MANY issues with "Malt". There *is* a difference between Pilsner and Pilsen.  Also, I'm going with ounce, not with Mr. Beer 4oz packets.  I'm thinking that some people might buy their supplies from somewhere other that this site (SHAME on them!).  While Mr. Beer sells their malts in 4oz packets, it's probably possible that people can buy grains in larger quantities.  To make sure the recipe is as accurate as possible, I'm going with ounces.  Discussion is open.

Found and fixed lots of issues while transferring the spreadsheet to the database server.  The spreadsheet had issues........Sticky Sticky Sticky issues.  Please, feel free to help me find more.  I'd like to fix all the issues on this spreadsheet before the database goes live

Added the recipe for Mulled Cider.  I will add all future recipes to the spreadsheet but won't post updates until the database server is up and running.  Discussion Is Open

After lots of thought, I decided to make "Hard Cider Refill" an HME.  Before you go ballistic, I know that there is no Hops, no Malt, and no Extract in a hard cider refill.  But, Cider is the core ingredient in several recipes.  You can make the Brigid's Blonde without the pale LME, but you can't make the Booberry Gobbler without the Hard Cider Refill.  Unless there is a reason not to do so, I'll make cider an HME and not put it in the Fruit column.  Discussion is open

Data is *FINALLY* on the database server.  What that means....not much, yet.  I now have to build a web server.  But, this project is getting closer.  I'm still hoping that people will look over the spreadsheet and help me fix the information.

This project won't have many more updates for a while. It'll take a while to get the web server set up, and then lots of web programming.  My plan is, by the end of the year, we'll have something up and running.

adoYiniM

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Youre nuts you know that. At first i was like "he'll give up". But you didnt. You did a really good job. 

I clicked on the last link and it downloaded right into my apple numbers app. Its like as if i made it myself, sitting right there in all my recipes.

when i brought it over to numbers i realize i might have lost things but can you make it so the top row stays at the top when you scroll. So if im looking at zombie fest lager i dont have to scroll

back to the top to see what column im looking at?

The spreadsheet was created using Office and Excel 2007.  It's all I have on my windoze machine.  I have things set so that the top row (column headers) and first column (recipe name) are frozen.  It looks like your app didn't understand the Excel 2007 way of freezing panes.  Sorry, wish I could help.  Anyone here know how to freeze panes on Apple Numbers?

Oh, and no, I won't give up....too hard headed for that.  I will quit before everything is 100% done with an online searchable and updateable recipe web site., but I will get it as far as I'm capable of doing.  Eventually, the team at Mr. Beer will need to take over..........but we're not close to that yet.

28 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

The spreadsheet was created using Office and Excel 2007.  It's all I have on my windoze machine.  I have things set so that the top row (column headers) and first column (recipe name) are frozen.  It looks like your app didn't understand the Excel 2007 way of freezing panes.  Sorry, wish I could help.  Anyone here know how to freeze panes on Apple Numbers?

Oh, and no, I won't give up....too hard headed for that.  I will quit before everything is 100% done with an online searchable and updateable recipe web site., but I will get it as far as I'm capable of doing.  Eventually, the team at Mr. Beer will need to take over..........but we're not close to that yet.

Got er thanks

IMG_1568.JPG