Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Creating a recipe database

3 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

The spreadsheet was created using Office and Excel 2007.  It's all I have on my windoze machine.  I have things set so that the top row (column headers) and first column (recipe name) are frozen.  It looks like your app didn't understand the Excel 2007 way of freezing panes.  Sorry, wish I could help.  Anyone here know how to freeze panes on Apple Numbers?

Oh, and no, I won't give up....too hard headed for that.  I will quit before everything is 100% done with an online searchable and updateable recipe web site., but I will get it as far as I'm capable of doing.  Eventually, the team at Mr. Beer will need to take over..........but we're not close to that yet.

Outstanding spreadsheet!!!  I've been away for awhile and am just now getting caught up.

The only thing I noticed was on the filters.  On my Excel for Mac 2011, it looks like the filter range is $B$1:$X$147.  But I would want Column A to change with any filtering/sorting that I do on the other columns...so I changed that to $A$1:$X$147.  That might just be particular to my version or the way my Excel version opens your file.

But once again, thanks for all the work that went into this!  I'm going to use it.

4 hours ago, K5WX said:

Outstanding spreadsheet!!!  I've been away for awhile and am just now getting caught up.

The only thing I noticed was on the filters.  On my Excel for Mac 2011, it looks like the filter range is $B$1:$X$147.  But I would want Column A to change with any filtering/sorting that I do on the other columns...so I changed that to $A$1:$X$147.  That might just be particular to my version or the way my Excel version opens your file.

But once again, thanks for all the work that went into this!  I'm going to use it.

Not sure what is going on for you, KSWX.  The filter range in Microsoft Excel in Windoze is the first row, the column headers.  I can modify the file for you and remove the freeze panes, and then you pull it into your Excel for Mac and try to re-freeze the panes.

But, once the online searchable database is running (scheduled for the week between Christmas and New Years), you won't need the spreadsheet anymore.  :D

@MiniYoda - I was skimming through your posts and saw you mentioned getting the development books out.  If you have questions let me know.  I am a professional PHP developer and have a number of other IT related titles.  If you happen to be developing using the Yii framework even better...I'm an expert there.

most of my web development, although MANY years ago, was in ASP.NET using the windows platform.  I know very little about php, and will have to research which might be the best route to go.  I'll stay in touch!

Oh, and thanks for the offer

I'm back in the saddle again..........

Okay I'll spare y'all from my western singing talents, of which I have none.  Just to let anyone who gives a hairy rats fanny that I'm working on this project again.  10 days of being off work, and the things I have to do during this time are (in no particular order)

1) work on the recipe database, making it online searchable

2) drink beer

3) seeing the movie Rouge One at least twice (Christmas Day)

4) drink beer

5) going to the storage unit and work on empting it out.  Long story......won't bore you

6) drink beer

7) help my land lord work on the apartment building

8) drink bourbon (need variety)

9) brew three LBKs

10) drink beer

Most of the work is behind the scenes.  For now, lots of SQL programming.  I'll post if I have something that is worth checking out.

2 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

I'm back in the saddle again..........

Okay I'll spare y'all from my western singing talents, of which I have none.  Just to let anyone who gives a hairy rats fanny that I'm working on this project again.  10 days of being off work, and the things I have to do during this time are (in no particular order)

1) work on the recipe database, making it online searchable

2) drink beer

3) seeing the movie Rouge One at least twice (Christmas Day)

4) drink beer

5) going to the storage unit and work on empting it out.  Long story......won't bore you

6) drink beer

7) help my land lord work on the apartment building

8) drink bourbon (need variety)

9) brew three LBKs

10) drink beer

Most of the work is behind the scenes.  For now, lots of SQL programming.  I'll post if I have something that is worth checking out.

When will you find time to drink beer if youre busy with your to do list of drinking beer and creating beer and Star Wars???

Spreadsheet update.  Version 01042017

- This and future spreadsheet will have a version number as the last line of the spreadsheet.  The version number is simply the release date.

- Moved "Mulled Cider" to the correct alphabetical location.

- Very minor corrections.

- After a very brief consideration, I've gone through each recipe and added Category and Style.  This is based on the information on each recipe page, as provided by Mr. Beer and www.bjcp.org.   I entered the information as it shows on each page, so don't shoot the messenger.  If you don't agree with the choice, check with the folks at Mr. B.  I personal don't agree with how Fresno Chile Beer is listed, and I can logically guess at Sparkling Cerise Cider, but they aren't my recipes, so it's not my call.  Lots of blank spaces, as this information wasn't provided for archived recipes.  For now, it'll making finding Irish beers easy to find.

- Oh, I wasn't sure if the names "Category" and "Style" for these columns are correct.  It was 2:30am when I started adding this information (insomnia).  If someone can tell me what the categories should be called, I'd appreciate it.

The online searchable database is on hold.  I've reached out to the folks at Mr. Beer for guidance on how to proceed, but as of yet have not heard from them.  I'm sure they've been busy over the holidays.  I don't want to do any web development work that isn't needed or goes in the wrong direction.  Most of the SQL programming code has been done, as that is behind-the-scene.  I'll add the Category/Style to the SQL database tonight.

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

On 1/4/2017 at 5:41 AM, MiniYoda said:

Spreadsheet update.  Version 01042017

- This and future spreadsheet will have a version number as the last line of the spreadsheet.  The version number is simply the release date.

- Moved "Mulled Cider" to the correct alphabetical location.

- Very minor corrections.

- After a very brief consideration, I've gone through each recipe and added Category and Style.  This is based on the information on each recipe page, as provided by Mr. Beer and www.bjcp.org.   I entered the information as it shows on each page, so don't shoot the messenger.  If you don't agree with the choice, check with the folks at Mr. B.  I personal don't agree with how Fresno Chile Beer is listed, and I can logically guess at Sparkling Cerise Cider, but they aren't my recipes, so it's not my call.  Lots of blank spaces, as this information wasn't provided for archived recipes.  For now, it'll making finding Irish beers easy to find.

- Oh, I wasn't sure if the names "Category" and "Style" for these columns are correct.  It was 2:30am when I started adding this information (insomnia).  If someone can tell me what the categories should be called, I'd appreciate it.

The online searchable database is on hold.  I've reached out to the folks at Mr. Beer for guidance on how to proceed, but as of yet have not heard from them.  I'm sure they've been busy over the holidays.  I don't want to do any web development work that isn't needed or goes in the wrong direction.  Most of the SQL programming code has been done, as that is behind-the-scene.  I'll add the Category/Style to the SQL database tonight.

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

I will take a look at it when I can, but as you correctly deduced, we have been very busy from the holidays. It will probably stay that way for the next few weeks as customers will be using gift cards and calling for advice. It's our busiest time of the year. But when I get a chance, I'll take a look and give you some input.

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

I will take a look at it when I can, but as you correctly deduced, we have been very busy from the holidays. It will probably stay that way for the next few weeks as customers will be using gift cards and calling for advice. It's our busiest time of the year. But when I get a chance, I'll take a look and give you some input.

Did you find the time to go out and buy friends/family and gifts, or did everyone get a pack of Saflager W-34/70 in their stocking?

Latest version of the spreadsheet, version 01202017

- Removed column "Type".  This was mostly a "my best guess" of what the beer type was.  The columns "Category" and "Style" are much more accurate.

- First attempt at cleaning up the pink missing-data cells.  What I've done is set the Ideal Temp for any recipe that uses Saflager S-23 or Saflager W-34/70 to 55F.  The value of "55" is still pink, and if there are no objections, I will make the cells white in the next version.

- In future versions I will do a best-guess at missing information.  For example, if two recipes use very similar ingredients, the same yeast, have the same temp range and conditioning time, but one is missing "ideal temp", I'll consider them similar enough to fill in the missing ideal temp with the same value as the recipe that has this information.  I'd *MUCH* rather be told what to put for the missing information, though, so if anyone has better information than a "best guess", please post or message me.

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

You are reminding me of when C migrated to C++ and Excel Tables were introduced to actual coding.

The algorithms assemble into the excel  cells and migrate into compiler. It was easy. The SQL is very reliable, powerful but has many back doors it is unfortunate that the powerful DB software has so many un-reputible on lookers.

The best DB emulators are from linux under a windows OP system.

Lets make Beer, M

Thanks, MnMBeer.  For now, it's just a spreadsheet.  I have a db version, which I can give to the folks at Mr. Beer, but they've been busy so I haven't heard from them yet.  This is more a labor of love that I'm happy to share and hope someone has use for it. 

According to MB's website the following yeast's have a 59-75f temp range:

Safale S04

Safale US05

Safbrew S33

Safbrew T58

Safbrew WB06

I do not know the ideal temp but many of your recipes reflect a different range. 

I am currently looking for an ideal low temp yeast for most ales and ipa and am thinking of experimenting with Safale US05. 

Keep up the great work ... I cant wait to see it expanded with member recipes (using MB product of course) ... the recipe list to choose from will be impossible to choose from!

B. 

14 minutes ago, Blackhawks said:

According to MB's website the following yeast's have a 59-75f temp range:

Safale S04

Safale US05

Safbrew S33

Safbrew T58

Safbrew WB06

I do not know the ideal temp but many of your recipes reflect a different range. 

I am currently looking for an ideal low temp yeast for most ales and ipa and am thinking of experimenting with Safale US05. 

Keep up the great work ... I cant wait to see it expanded with member recipes (using MB product of course) ... the recipe list to choose from will be impossible to choose from!

B. 

Fine. The next thing is that the yeasts will behave differently at different temperatures and generate different flavor components whenwarm or cool end of their ranges, so this should also affect your choice depending on desired outcome.  e.g. Wheat yeast will tend to make clove flavors at one end and banana flavors at the other end of the range.

Latest version, 02282017.  One of the things I did while on "brake" time.

- Filled in more pink cells

- For "Total Time", this is based on an update on Mr. Beer's site.  It is the *minimum* months of time for a beer.  For maximum, add 6 weeks to the second "Conditioning" number.  Or just let the beer sit a while longer.  My plans for this summer is to study and learn more about conditioning, and why some beers take longer than others.

- For "Temperature Range", I'm going to hold on changes.  I *REALLY* want to use the information on the website for Fermentis, but their numbers are much more different than Mr. Beer's recipe numbers.  For example, if you look at Safale S-04, the data sheet at Fermentis says "ideally 59-68F".  Most of Mr. B's recipes say "59-75".  This range is higher for Mr. Beer (I think I know why), and I want to research and study the "what ifs" on being higher for long periods of time.  The issue is NOT just this yeast, but *all* of them.  But I want to learn the what if's and whys on all the yeasts before blindly changing Mr B's recipes....which I probably shouldn't do in the first place.  I also noticed some interesting exceptions, such as the Milk Stouts and Suava Java.  I will study the yeasts and recipes, and determine why there are variances in temp ranges even though it is the same yeast (does Milk Sugar make a difference in temp range?  That's for me to learn).  Not to worry, I'll get it all sorted out.  I love to research and study, and this is one method that I learn.  But, any advise anyone wants to give me (post on this thread or PM me..........I'm welcome to it.

- For "Ideal Temperature", all changes are based on the things like yeast used and total time.  Again, I will research based on info from Fermentis, now that I'm going to use them for info on Temp Range.  But, if I'm wrong somewhere, or anyone has specific comments, please pass word along.

- For "Category/Style", I went with the names and other descriptions of the recipe.  Then I compared this information with info from BJCP.ORG.  If I found a "good" match, I used it.  This might bring discussion as to what was a "good match", and I welcome that.  Please feel free to suggest changes.

- Removed Column Z, which was "Special Instructions".  It's obvious that if you want to make the recipe, you should refer to the web site for instructions (which the link is now the new column Z)

- Switched "Liberty" Hops to "Crystal" Hops, as MRB Josh has informed us that the Liberty won't be used anymore (if this changes, please let me know).  This affected 11 recipes.

At this moment, I'm not pursing this as a online database.  I've contacted the folks at Mr. Beer, and while I did it during peak Helter Skelter season for them, I haven't heard back.  I'm not going to create a web site that isn't linked to their site at the risk of legal reasons.  Also, I can't afford to maintain a web and database server.  I'd be more than happy to do the work needed to add this as a searchable and update-able system on their site, at no charge, but for now this phase of the project will be put on hold.

odaYiniM

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Is there anywhere to check recipe ideas to a refill you have on hand? Let's say you have a Octoberfest or a Bewitched... but are looking for ideas is there somewhere you can look up recipes? And not mr.beer.com recipes but ones you can make on your own with items you can get from a regular beer making supply store..?

A method of "submit your own recipe" is a while from now, if realistic.  Too many issues (work is easy....issues to jump over aren't).  For now, best we can do is use this spreadsheet as a base, and do some key-word searching and question asking on this forum.  I have lots of ideas on how to proceed with this project, but for now, I'm not able to do so.

Yea, it's been a while.  Latest/Greatest version of the recipe spreadsheet

Added ChromosBeer, Golden Empire IPA and Thunder Bay IPA
Cleaned a few more pink squares, especially "ideal temp".  Also, those that are Cider only are listed as NA when it comes to Beer Style, since BJCP doesn't do cider only.
Changed the column title Hop Sacks to Muslin Sacks (since they are also used for grains)

Note to @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim. While updating the spreadsheet, I noticed that Calavera Spice Chile Stout, Suava java Cream Ale, Austin Pils and Salty Dawg Gose don't have the "Mr Beer Partial Mash Recipe" logo.  No big deal, of course.  Just the observance of a fat ole drunk

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx