Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Creating a recipe database

Shazbat.  Didn't know that.  I'll fix the NA's now, and they will be on the next upload.

BTW, I'm open to either adding to this spreadsheet, or creating a new spreadsheet, with non-Mr. Beer recipes.  Recipes created by us.  Same format as the current sheet, list all details of the ingredients, the temp range/ideal temp, OG/FG/ABV/SRM/IBU, etc.  Instead of Mr. Beer as the "Submitted By", it will be submitted by you.  The key is this.......it must be 100% ingredients that are either sold by Mr. Beer, or bought at the grocery store (such as "zest of an orange", "coriander", "pumpkin puree", etc.  For now (it might change) I'd rather not do grains and/or hops that aren't sold here.  Also the link to the recipe.....I'm guessing either a link to the posting on this forum, or a web page that you created.

The floor is now open for discussions

just a few minor changes this time:

1)  Added an Information tab to explain the columns in the spreadsheet.  Changed "Mash" to "Recipe Type"

2)  Added Mr. Beer's recipe Hope To It Blueberry Cider

3)  Removed Black Moon Rising.  The HME (Winter Dark Ale) was a seasonal which is no longer available.  Note Millennium Falconers Flight Red

might meet this fate in the future

4)  Fixed some Ideal Temps.  This includes the Bell Saison yeast based recipes

5)  Added Cooper's recipes.  Yea...minor change.  First version of this tab, more changes on next spreadsheet

- If there was a Mr. Beer recipe equal to a Cooper version (Abbey Double), I didn't create a record.
- If there was a Mr. Beer recipe that was similar to a Cooper recipe (Brew de Ale Ze Bub), I added a new record.  It's usually a hop thing.
- Several of their recipes included the HME Winder Dark Ale.  This is a seasonal which is no longer available, so I didn't add these recipes.
- For Category and Style, I mostly left this blank.  I'll revisit this in the next update, but PLEASE help me fill these in
- More than one Cooper's recipe didn't have an HME.  These are listed as in the new Recipe Type as "No HME"

- Thanks to @MRB Tim for helping me with the DME conversion

- For flavor, if it said low I went malty, for medium I went balanced, and for high I went hoppy
- For FG, I used the higher of their two numbers.  Using this number, the ABV, https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/  and some creative thinking, I came up with OG.  If no FG given, OG and FG are red.
- I have no information for SRM or IBU, so please help here too.  I would love a laminated card that I could hold against a glass and come close to the SRM, but I'd need a formula for IBU, as I hate high IBU.
- For hops and grains, I went with Mr. Beer's equivalent amount (one 0.5oz pack instead of 12g pack, etc)
- There are situations where the yeast and/or hops they list on the recipe aren't available on Mr. Beer site.  These are red.  If there is an equivalent on Mr. Beer's site, please let me know and I'll note it, but for now I'm keeping the ingredients listed.
- Another note about hops.  If Cooper said "hops" I added a Muslin Sack, one sack for every 0.5oz.  Some people like to go with sack during boil, some don't.  If you don't want the sack in the boil or dry hop, don't order it.  :-)
- For temp range, I'm going with Mr. Beer's information on the page where they sell yeast. For optimal temp, it's a best guess.
- For yeast that Mr. Beer doesn't sell, I looked it up on the Lallermand's web site
- Condition time is 2-4 weeks, total time is 2 months, for the most part.  As always, comments welcomed, especially if you know how to convert OG

to condition time.

- There is a LOT of red on the spreadsheet now, and some stuff that I think is wrong.  Mostly, the ABV of Cooper's recipes.  I seriously really want some help with this spreadsheet.  If I don't get any help filling in the blanks, I'm going to have to do the drastic thing.  Brew these recipes myself.
- I only added the Craft recipes because they used HMEs available on the Mr. Beer's store.  I can add the other recipes, but we would either

need to find a way to buy Cooper's HMEs or convert the HME to Mr. Beer's HME.  Also, these are 20-23 gallon recipes, so I'll have to add a

column for Recipe Size (2.25 gallon and 6.5 gallon).  To make the larger Cooper's recipes, you'll need this:

https://www.mrbeer.com/brewmax-6g-fermenter

and I get 1% of every sale.  Ha.............Ha.........Ha

6)  Added a Community tab.

While it isn't possible right now to do an online database, that doesn't mean we can't keep a log of our own recipes.  To start it off, I put my recipe "Lost My Way To Munich.  Helles", which was an attempt at Munich Helles with only Mr. Beer products.  I'm welcoming everyone to send to me their recipes.  For now, I'd really prefer to keep recipes with only Mr. Beer products, after all this is a Mr. Beer Recipe spreadsheet. Please send me as much info as you can, including OG/FG/ABV/SRM, etc if you have it.  Also as much instructions as possible, since there isn't a recipe page for your recipes (unless you have one).

7)  Fixed a dumb-butt spelling mistake.  Surprised no one caught it (or no one is reviewing this spreadsheet?)  Yes, there is a difference between Pilsner, and Pilsen malt

Future versions:
 - Correct Temp Range based on yeast and Mr. Beer's information on their store's web site.  Unless there is reason not to do this
 - Fix more missing information
 - Add Coopers 20-23 liter recipes.

MiniYoda..........I think I'll go to Outback for Supper Friday

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

The more I look at this spreadsheet, the more I over think things.  I need to ask what is hopefully the dumbest question asked today.

Does the amount or type of fermentables amount/type of hops, or the other items in the LBK affect the recommended temp range for yeast, or is the recommended temp range for yeast always as listed on the pack/manufacture's spec sheet? 

4 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

The more I look at this spreadsheet, the more I over think things.  I need to ask what is hopefully the dumbest question asked today.

Does the amount or type of fermentables amount/type of hops, or the other items in the LBK affect the recommended temp range for yeast, or is the recommended temp range for yeast always as listed on the pack/manufacture's spec sheet? 

i am gonna take a stab in the dark and say The recommended temp range for yeast should always be as listed on the yeast pack/manufactures specs.

9 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

The amount of fermentables wont change the range you should ferment at. However, when you get to a certain point you may want to consider a yeast specific for a higher ABV wort

4 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

i am gonna take a stab in the dark and say The recommended temp range for yeast should always be as listed on the yeast pack/manufactures specs.

That is a good answer, however, some folks like to tweak the yeast contribution by using higher or lower temps. But that is on them.

Maybe first use the Mr Beer/Cooper's recommendation than after that, Yeast manufacturer, then after that any custom special adjustment.

However, the designer of the recipe may specify a yeast and a temperature profile just to get a special taste

FOR COOPER'S YEASTS LOOK HERE:

https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/7290/

The following explains the ink-jetted code on the yeast sachets, supplied with each beer kit:

Sachets carry a Julian date code and may also carry letters to denote the type of yeast. For example, if they were packaged on the 25th of September 2007 = 268th day of 2007:

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)
European Lager - L (26807 P)
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)
English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:
Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

You will see some of the Cooper's yeast packs have both Lager and Ale yeast in them. 

I guess that will guarantee fermentation over a wider temperature range, ensuring greater customer success when lager temperatures (50's F) cannot be achieved and giving the option of the preferred lager fermentation treatment. However at only 7g for 6 gal, it seems they are trending towards the under pitching amount, but  it seems to work for them.

Gee.....no updates in six months, then two in less than one week.  This time, added the three new National Parks recipes, plus a few minor fixes here and there.

Note to Mr Beer folks.  The picture for Hidden Lake Amber shows a DME, but the recipe is calling for an LME.  Just wanted to check and find out which is correct

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx