Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sabres032

All grain Irish Red Ale

17 posts in this topic

mmm., looks good to me with the Maris Otter, the crystal 60, and the EK Goldings.. So when is the recipe taste testing? ;-)

Carapils might not be necessary but won't hurt it.  You could try a Simpsons Med Crystal instead of the Crystal 60 to keep it UK malt sourced.

54 minutes ago, TonyKZ1 said:

mmm., looks good to me with the Maris Otter, the crystal 60, and the EK Goldings.. So when is the recipe taste testing? ;-)

I'll brew this up in a couple of weeks and let it condition out until St. Patty's day. 

17 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Carapils might not be necessary but won't hurt it.  You could try a Simpsons Med Crystal instead of the Crystal 60 to keep it UK malt sourced.

I actually hemmed and hawed about adding the Carapils for a couple days. Like you said, it won't hurt and 4oz isn't much. I still may take them out. 

Only reason I went with American Crystal 60 is my LHBS doesn't carry the Simpsons Med Crystal. I'm not adding to the cost of the recipe ordering online and paying for shipping. 

I'm going to name this brew: Captain Farrell Irish Red. 

TonyKZ1, John K., Shrike and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, sabres032 said:

I'm going to name this brew: Captain Farrell Irish Red. 

Being drunk and weary

I went to Molly's chamber...

Cool name!

AnthonyC and sabres032 like this

2 hours ago, Shrike said:

Being drunk and weary

I went to Molly's chamber...

Cool name!

The epiphany of the name actually happened while I was drunk and weary. LOL 🍺🍺🍺

At least I still had the piece of mind to hold my pistol and Rapier. 👍👍👍

Shrike likes this

Maybe I can talk my LHBS into special ordering Simpsons Medium Crystal or Melanoiden Malt. I'd like to brew this in a couple, three weeks. 

So I talked the owner of my LHBS into ordering five pounds of Melanoiden malt for my recipe and he isn't charging me anything. I have enough points on my account, he'll just subtract 200 points. He said he'll be able to sell the rest to other brewers looking for recipe ideas. I'll brew this recipe next Monday since I have off that day.

One of my uncle's is a home brewer and his go to beer is an Irish red. I talked him in to coming over for St Patrick's day to sample my brew and compare to his. If this recipe turns out OK it will go into the rotation as a go to brew. Wish me luck. 

Everything I've read is that Melanoidin is very strong, stronger than Munich, and to not use more than 20% in a recipe.  I used Munich LME, which is 50% Munich  ànd 50% base malt for an Oktoberfest.  Using Melanoidin for a small percentage of the total is fine, but not 5lbs in one recipe...

Jim Johnson likes this

Three days into primary and the wort looks more dark brown in color than an amber-red color. Sure hope it lightens up over the next three weeks. 

Bottled my second attempt at an Irish Red. Nice color, clarity with a better malt backbone. The recipe is below. 

FB_IMG_1489583287674.jpg

Screenshot_20170315-094750.png

Big Sarge likes this

Irish Red Ale 2.0 1. 

Mashed at 157 for 75 minutes

Recipe as pictured. 

First runnings SG: 1.055

Second runnings SG: 1.027

Preboil SG: 1.044

Batch OG: 1.056

Pitched yeast at 65 degrees. 

Primary 1 week

Secondary 2 weeks

Cold crash 3 days. 

Batch prime 2.4 vol CO2. 

Pictures:

Preboil sample

Second runnings sample

Preboil sample 

Screenshot_20170318-172138.png

I tried a sample of my last batch, Irish Red 2.0 and it's freaking delicious. Little lighter then I expected, crystal clear, has a huge malty mouth feel with slight fruitiness from the hops. My opinion; this batch is one of the best all grain beers I've need to date. 

kedogn, Bonsai & Brew and Shrike like this