Mongo69

3rd Batch. Had a couple mishaps. How screwed am I?

19 posts in this topic

For my third batch, I chose the Surly Dog IPA.  Everything was going fine until I was pouring in the HME.  The can lid was hanging by a thread from the can.  Murphy's law kicked in.  The lid fell into the steaming pot of soon to be wort.  I plucked it out pretty quickly with a sanitized spatula.  I finished up and it's now in the LBk.  I guess my concern is this:  is it even worth going through the 2 month process with this batch?  What is the likelihood that it's ruined?

Second issue.  I measured the OG at 1.070, and the instructions indicate it should be at 1.080.  Is this significant?

I was really looking forward to getting this batch stowed away.  Now I'm just stressing that it's a bust.

Any thoughts?

Mongo

it's happens to everyone at some point... You should be fine ,,you grabbed it with a sanitized utensil so you should be fine... After that happened to me I started dipping my HME's in my sanitizing solution...just in case... Cheers 🍻 and beers 🍺

20 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

After that happened to me I started dipping my HME's in my sanitizing solution...just in case... Cheers 🍻 and beers

I agree stroomer. Before I open my HME I always take about half a cup of sanitizing solution and pour it ontop of the lid.  I too have a hard time getting the lid to come off clean. I used to chalk it up to cheap can opener but it may just be user stupidity. 

34 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have a fancy can opener that has never let me down. Looks like but isn't this one here. One of the best things I've ever bought period

Same here; my wife got a Pampered Chef can opener about a decade ago and it works great.  I've never had a problem getting the HME lids off.

As for the OP, I wouldn't worry too much, especially if the wort was still steaming.  When I brew, just to be on the safe side I remove the label from the HME can then give it a dip in some sanitizing solution before opening it.

once the yeast get going, it is really hard to ruin a batch with due care and such.  mashani had a brew booboo where 2 of his cats were fighting where he was chilling wort..  one of the cats dipped its butt or tail... cant recall , into the pot. his cat butt ale came out ok. 

if you got krausen, relax.. the yeast are happily eating and killing anything that shouldn't be there in your lbk.

one pt isn't going to ruin a beer. your water volume was probably a little off (too much). no worries.

NEVER EVER DUMP A BATCH BEFORE YOU BOTTLE IT, AGE IT, TRY IT.  even if you have pellicle growing all over the wort in fermenter.. you might just like sour beer.  the beer gods will curse you for wasting beer if you dump a potentially good batch.

dale hihn and Stroomer420 like this

11 hours ago, Mongo69 said:

The lid fell into the steaming pot of soon to be wort.

If indeed the water was steaming or even close to it, the temperature would have been high enough to kill most anything on the lid.  It is really hard for anything to get going in hot wort.

7 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

NEVER EVER DUMP A BATCH BEFORE YOU BOTTLE IT, AGE IT, TRY IT.  even if you have pellicle growing all over the wort in fermenter.. you might just like sour beer.  the beer gods will curse you for wasting beer if you dump a potentially good batch.

I totally agree with Zorak.  Never dump a batch!!! Give it a chance. Beer is like children, you never get rid of it before it has a chance to age and prove itself!  There were plenty of times when I wanted to kill my kids as teenagers, but they turned out to be pretty good adults!  

Like Rickbeer said "relax, don't worry, have a Home Brew"!

John K. likes this

"mashani had a brew booboo where 2 of his cats were fighting where he was chilling wort..  one of the cats dipped its butt or tail... cant recall , into the pot. his cat butt ale came out ok."

Cat Butt Ale - has a nice ring to it!  :)

UPDATE:

As I mentioned, the Surly Dog was my third batch.  I've done three more since then (Dry River IPA, Churchill Nut Brown, Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout), Those are conditioning and/or fermenting).  I just tried the Surly Dog, and it is awesome...... despite the mishaps mentioned in my original post.   It is such a trip to drink it and think, "This tastes like good friggen beer."  Super excited about this new hobby. 

Ferment - 20 days

Cold Crash - 4 days

Carb/condition - 31 days

OG - 1.072

FG - 1.013

CO2 goal was 2.0 (batch prime)

Creeps McLane, dale hihn and Shrike like this

F'in A man. Good job. You did it. Id like to try one.

feels really good to be so patient and be rewarded with a wonderful beer that you made your damn self! Its like gods work

Bach's Brews likes this

22 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

F'in A man. Good job. You did it. Id like to try one.

feels really good to be so patient and be rewarded with a wonderful beer that you made your damn self! Its like gods work

yes..... Yes it is.... It's a beautiful thing.....🍻

Mongo69 - Yep, some attention to procedure and making good beer is not that difficult. Cheers.