Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sabres032

Mint Julep Cream Ale

23 posts in this topic

My wife is a big horse racing fan and hosts a Kentucky Derby party at our house every year. She obviously looks to me to brew a beer to showcase to keep people interested in coming. Last night the conversation turned to what I wanted to brew when I was asked about a Mint Julep beer. At first my stomach turned just thinking about a mint flavored beer but the more I thought about it the better I liked the idea. 

My cousin and i came up with an all grain cream ale recipe with an addition of 1/2oz mint leaves soaked in an ounce of Woodford Reserve bourbon added to secondary. First weekend in January we brew the base Cream Ale then around Valentine's day we brew the Mint Julep Cream Ale to be ready by derby day. 

Batch size 4.5 gal target boil volume, 3.5 gal target ferment volume

OG: 1.047 FG: 1.012 abv: 4.5% SRM: 3 IBU: 19

Grain bill: 

5.25lb American 2 row

1/2lb Flaked Corn

1/4lb Carapils

Hops:

0.25oz Perle 60 min

0.75oz Perle 5 min

Yeast:

SafAle US-05

Irish moss 1tsp 15 minutes. 

Once we brew the base recipe the next batch we'll add the bourbon soaked mint leaves in secondary. 

walt_felix, MRB Josh R and TonyKZ1 like this

On 1/1/2017 at 7:32 AM, RickBeer said:

I never poo-poo recipes, but dislike mint, so YUCK!

I like mint, just never thought of it in a beer. We are still going to try it and see what it turns out like. If it's $h1t that's one recipe to strike of the list. Won't know unless we try, right?

2 hours ago, sabres032 said:

I like mint, just never thought of it in a beer. We are still going to try it and see what it turns out like. If it's $h1t that's one recipe to strike of the list. Won't know unless we try, right?

Looking at some of the craziest beer flavors make mint look almost blasé.  Ex: banana, orange, grapefruit, peanut butter, etc.

I had a mint chocolate milk stout on tap at the Tucson Hop Shop once (can't remember which brewery made it) and it was SOOOO FREAKING GOOD! I was very skeptical, at first, but it tasted just like Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies. I need to find out who made that beer because I want more. I may have to make some myself.

sabres032 likes this

Ah, yes, now I remember. It was McFate Brewing Company from Scottsdale, AZ. I knew it was an AZ brewery, just couldn't place it.

http://mcfatebrewing.com/

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mcfate-mint-chocolate-milk-stout/210928/

They also make an amazing Candy Bar Milk Stout using peanuts, cocoa nibs, vanilla bean, and a touch of sea salt. SO GOOD! Obviously, these are dessert beers and are very rich so best consumed in small pours otherwise they become too cloyingly sweet.  But you guys most likely won't taste these unless you come to AZ. Stone has a mint coffee milk stout, though. Haven't tried it, but I always keep my eyes out for it.

sabres032 likes this

36 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Ah, yes, now I remember. It was McFate Brewing Company from Scottsdale, AZ. I knew it was an AZ brewery, just couldn't place it.

They also make an amazing Candy Bar Milk Stout using peanuts, cocoa nibs, vanilla bean, and a touch of sea salt. SO GOOD! Obviously, these are dessert beers and are very rich so best consumed in small pours otherwise they become too cloyingly sweet.  But you guys most likely won't taste these unless you come to AZ. Stone has a mint coffee milk stout, though. Haven't tried it, but I always keep my eyes out for it.

ROAD TRIP!!!

sabres032 likes this

58 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

those all sound really really good....

sabres032 likes this

7 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

You have my creative juices flowing now. I will create and brew this recipe before year end. Partial mash or all grain, this will be done. 

MRB Josh R likes this

12 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Arizona is quickly becoming one of the best states for beer craft beer. It's glorious. :)

I would love to try and figure out that candy bar milk stout using Mr beer ingredients,,, since i started making me beer I've learned I like milk stouts..

MRB Josh R likes this

After doing some research on hop aromas I'm wondering if I should use Perle or Polaris hops for this mint julep recipe? I'm leaning towards Polaris because it's a dual purpose and YCH says it features "intense mint flavors." Just off the top of my head I'm thinking 0.125oz at 60, 0.125oz 20 and maybe 0.5oz at 5????

Ha, ran it through Brewers Asst and this is what I get.  With the exception of the mint leaves soaked in bourbon it's very close to style. 

Screenshot_20170109-192148.png

15 hours ago, sabres032 said:

After doing some research on hop aromas I'm wondering if I should use Perle or Polaris hops for this mint julep recipe? I'm leaning towards Polaris because it's a dual purpose and YCH says it features "intense mint flavors." Just off the top of my head I'm thinking 0.125oz at 60, 0.125oz 20 and maybe 0.5oz at 5????

Polaris, if you can get them.

sabres032 likes this

9 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have 4 oz in my freezer right now... ill sell them for $45 an ounce if you cant get them. ? ? 

Seems legit. 

sabres032 likes this

9 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Polaris, if you can get them.

That seems to be the trick right now. 

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have 4 oz in my freezer right now... ill sell them for $45 an ounce if you cant get them. ? ? 

Wow!! Profetering much????

Big Sarge likes this

Tried a small sample and holy-molly, it's good. Nice light color, decent mint aroma, nice mint forward taste with a lingering bourbon flavor. One more week in primary and then bottle. 

On 1/6/2017 at 11:28 AM, MRB Josh R said:

I had a mint chocolate milk stout on tap at the Tucson Hop Shop once (can't remember which brewery made it) and it was SOOOO FREAKING GOOD! I was very skeptical, at first, but it tasted just like Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies. I need to find out who made that beer because I want more. I may have to make some myself.

My cousin and I are coming up with a recipe at the moment. Collaborating by text and e-mail is a pain.