And mash appropriately!

3 weeks to ferment this,

Please don't whine or beg,

I'll brew beer for Christmas

If only I could keg!

Winter's Draught Guinness

Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter, 1.75 lbs., mashed

Flaked Barley, 0.8 lbs., mashed

Weyermann Roasted Barley (432+ Lovibond), 0.4 lbs.

Weyermann Acidulated malt, 2-3 oz., mashed

BrewMax Robust LME, 0.55 lbs.

East Kent Goldings, 1 oz. added with 60 min. left of 90 min. boil

Nottingham yeast

Cold-steep milled roasted barley in 4 cups tap water for at least 6 hours.  Add to wort for last 10 min. of boil, along with the LME.  Forget about tapping this beer for Christmas and save for St. Patrick's Day.?

http://www.mrbeer.com/accessories/kegging/kegaroo-2-5-with-filled-co2 ;)

1 minute ago, AnthonyC said:

BB, have you been to bed yet?  ?

Ha!  After mashing this recipe yesterday and getting a low OG, I woke up way too early with an idea to improve my sparge technique.  That was a relatively large amount of flaked barley and I think that may have affected my efficiency -- still learning!

6 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Ha!  After mashing this recipe yesterday and getting a low OG, I woke up way too early with an idea to improve my sparge technique.  That was a relatively large amount of flaked barley and I think that may have affected my efficiency -- still learning!

It's always good to see another "Night Thinker" aka insomniac!  Great song btw!  Wish we could tap Dean, Frank, or Bing to bring it to life!  ?

After letting my hydrometer sample chill for a couple hours, this really isn't too bad -- nice mellow, almost chocolate flavor from the roasted barley, with subdued EKG bitterness for balance.  I can work with this!  I think next time I'll double-down on the Acidulated malt, up the Maris Otter a bit, and add rice hulls to facilitate the sparge.?

actually i'm going to brew up an amber ale then during a second conditioning period i'll add sum rum soaked oak chips to it, in addition, i'm going to attempt a very rich and malty flavor to help entice the rum chips. I DARE everyone to try an Innis & Gunn rum oak aged amber ale, TRUELY OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

On December 24, 2016 at 10:42 AM, HoppySmile! said:

actually i'm going to brew up an amber ale then during a second conditioning period i'll add sum rum soaked oak chips to it, in addition, i'm going to attempt a very rich and malty flavor to help entice the rum chips. I DARE everyone to try an Innis & Gunn rum oak aged amber ale, TRUELY OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

@Shrike Hoppy is way ahead of us on this!  It's not quite Amberetto, but definitely on the same track here.?

I tried this one again with the following modifications:

Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter, 1 lb.

Malting Co. of Ireland Stout malt, 1 lb.

Weyermann flaked barley, 0.6 lb.

Weyermann Acidulated malt, 0.25 lb.

Simpson's Roasted barley (488+ L), 0.4 lb, cold-steeped

BrewMax Robust LME, 0.55 lb.

I bailed on the 90 min. boil and did 60 instead, but with the same 1oz. EKG bittering.

OG 1.042

Had a nice day off from work and getting to brew instead -- Happy New Year to all!?

Speaking of trade mark infringement, I'm enjoying a Winter's Draught Guinness.  I'm amazed at how this has more chocolate flavor than Angry Bovine, but there is no chocolate in it -- overall, a very sessionable stout and good practice for getting my mash process down. ? 

On December 30, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I tried this one again with the following modifications:

Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter, 1 lb.

Malting Co. of Ireland Stout malt, 1 lb.

Weyermann flaked barley, 0.6 lb.

Weyermann Acidulated malt, 0.25 lb.

Simpson's Roasted barley (488+ L), 0.4 lb, cold-steeped

BrewMax Robust LME, 0.55 lb.

I bailed on the 90 min. boil and did 60 instead, but with the same 1oz. EKG bittering.

OG 1.042

Had a nice day off from work and getting to brew instead -- Happy New Year to all!?

I used 3 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter, the flaked barley, and acidulated malt for the pH-adjusted mash (a half tsp lactic acid did the trick).  I also did a Dublin water profile, adding calcium sulfate and sodium chloride per the Brewer's Friend online calculator.  OG was 1.057 so this attempt at a Guinness will be closer in style to an Irish Extra Stout.