Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
KaijuBrew

New v Old LBK

I have a new and older design LBK now and I have to say I appreciate the refinements in the new LBK.

My first kit was a gift and came with the classic light extract and an "old" LBK.

When I say "old", I mean the one that comes with a white lid and white spout, and by "new" I mean the one with black lid and black spout.  (I guess there is even a newer spout now!)'

The biggest benefit I see is that the brown plastic that makes up the new LBK is more transparent than the old one so it is easier to tell what is going on with the beer in the keg.  Even without a flashlight, I can see what is going on.  I assume the brown color of the plastic does enough to keep the light out.

Thanks to whoever designed the improvement to the LBK!

8 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

I have both new definitely better ,I had to order a new white spigot cause I had one of them old white push button ones.. Was a gift from someone who never used it... Totally sucked... But the replacement is so much better...

I find it interesting to hear that. When I started what you call the old (white) was the new(what I had) and the push button was the old. Several of the old timers bemoaned the loss of the old spigot(push Button.

On 12/15/2016 at 5:56 PM, AnthonyC said:

Out of the 6 LBK's that I have (5 black 1 white), only the white one has never leaked.  Go figure.

It does seem like the "white" lidded LBK is thicker.  Perhaps that is why it does not leak (but is harder to see in to)?

That should have nothing to do with it.

Anyone with an LBK that leaks should take the following steps:

1) Carefully example the spigot hole.  Is it round?  Sometimes it ends up slightly oval.  Second, is it a smooth finish, or a rough finish.  As the owner of many LBKs I can tell you that I had a few that the hole was made when they were too hot, and the plastic was very thick in one spot.  Or they have rough edges.  For some I gently sanded away rough edges, or made them rounder.  For 2, I had Mr. Beer replace them.

2) If the hole is good, then make sure you are properly using the washer.  It goes on the OUTSIDE, not the inside.  And, it has a flat side and a raised side.  The flat side goes against the spigot, which puts the raised side against the hole - which is why the hole needs to be round, not oval.  

3) Lastly, PROPERLY TIGHTEN the nut.  Do not overtighten.  Hold the outside, turn the inside, and after it touches tighten about a quarter turn.  

4) TEST WITH WATER.  Fill the LBK almost all the way with water.  Dry the outside by the spigot, and let it sit a good 15 minutes.  If no leaks (check the seam at the bottom also in case water ran down), empty it and sanitize.  If there is a leak, retighten and try again.