Mr.Beer Community
Marlymarl

Brown dots?

OMG ! ALIENS!!! lol

most likely nothing more than yeast colonies.

explanation that I got when I asked this years ago:  glass has an electrical charge. so does plastic.  so do yeast.  normally the yeast's charge is such that they sink merrily to the bottom of the bottle.  when they get stressed out they can change their polarity.  they clump together and adhere to the walls of the bottle.

when you pour a glass, do the usual slow steady pour, leaving behind the trub and look at the beer in the glass.  most likely you wont see anything floating around in the beer. why? because the yeast all stuck to the bottle.

soak your empties in oxiclean and it should take care of the dots.

by any chance was the yeast US04?  I get those dots floating on the surface of my beer... clumps of yeast rafts.  doesn't hurt a thing.

17 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

OMG ! ALIENS!!! lol

most likely nothing more than yeast colonies.

explanation that I got when I asked this years ago:  glass has an electrical charge. so does plastic.  so do yeast.  normally the yeast's charge is such that they sink merrily to the bottom of the bottle.  when they get stressed out they can change their polarity.  they clump together and adhere to the walls of the bottle.

when you pour a glass, do the usual slow steady pour, leaving behind the trub and look at the beer in the glass.  most likely you wont see anything floating around in the beer. why? because the yeast all stuck to the bottle.

soak your empties in oxiclean and it should take care of the dots.

by any chance was the yeast US04?  I get those dots floating on the surface of my beer... clumps of yeast rafts.  doesn't hurt a thing.

Yes it was US04 yeast

it's been reported (online at least) by quite a few that over the last few years us04 is acting weird like this.  something must have happened to the strain. maybe they mutated? anyway...  ppl are having us04 floating on top long after fermentation is done... rafts... ive even seen rafts in the wort itself midlevel.  

if youre sure your sanitation process was good... the bottles were sterilized..  they should be just fine. slow pour. youll likely see the dots wont be going anywhere.

once it is done conditioning, pop a few bottles in the fridge for a few days and when you open and pour, take a sniff. if it smells good most likely it was just like I said.

out of curiousity.. can you think of anything you did that may have stressed the yeast? over pitch? under pitch? temps?  waited too long to bottle? did you remember to sing lovingly to them while they were fermenting or read to them? 

what recipe was this?  your starting gravity? pitch temp?  fermentation temp?   just curious.... 

12 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

it's been reported (online at least) by quite a few that over the last few years us04 is acting weird like this.  something must have happened to the strain. maybe they mutated? anyway...  ppl are having us04 floating on top long after fermentation is done... rafts... ive even seen rafts in the wort itself midlevel.  

if youre sure your sanitation process was good... the bottles were sterilized..  they should be just fine. slow pour. youll likely see the dots wont be going anywhere.

once it is done conditioning, pop a few bottles in the fridge for a few days and when you open and pour, take a sniff. if it smells good most likely it was just like I said.

out of curiousity.. can you think of anything you did that may have stressed the yeast? over pitch? under pitch? temps?  waited too long to bottle? did you remember to sing lovingly to them while they were fermenting or read to them? 

what recipe was this?  your starting gravity? pitch temp?  fermentation temp?   just curious.... 

That is what the surface of my 3 Wit beer LBK brews look like. There are little clumps of yeast floating on top.

But I don't remember seeing it in a bottle. I think I will rock the LBKs a little a day or so before bottling to see if they will sink.

LBK2 had a few, LBK3 had lots (pic),  Coopers 2 gal fermenter had middling amounf and some  1/4 inch bubbles still after 2 week+ at 65 deg. Maybe I need to bump the temp up a bit. for the last week.

I can't figure the ingredient difference that would do it.  between 2 & 3 the only difference is the Coriander (?). The bubbles in the Tall one maybe because the fermenter bottom makes the trub deep rather than shallow so better chance to get big before they rise.

#2    Few yeast dots WitBier 1/2 pk Forbidden Fruit, HME + 1 pack booster + 1 TBS  Indian Coriander, Bitter Orange zest (fresh + 1/2 juice?)  Partial Mash 4 oz flaked Oat, 4 oz flaked raw wheat, 4 oz US 2 row barley 
#3   Lotsa yeast dots WitBier 1./2 pk Forbidden Fruit, HME + 1 pack booster  + 1 TBS  Giant Coriander, Bitter Orange zest (fresh + 1/2 juice?)  Partial Mash 4 oz flaked Oat, 4 oz flaked raw wheat, 4 oz US 2 row barley 

Tall Fermenter

More dots than #2 and some bigger bubbles

WitBier WLP400, HME + 1 pack booster + 1 TBS  Indian Coriander, Bitter Orange zest (fresh )  Partial Mash 4 oz flaked Oat, 4 oz flaked raw wheat, 4 oz US 2 row barley 

LBK2_Wit yeast spot.png

It looks fine to me. There are a lot of variables that would cause this, but I wouldn't worry about it. As long as nothing is moldy or there is no pellicle film (Google for pics), your beer is fine. If in doubt, give it a taste.