Scott-Gardiner

Another Newbie Cometh Forth

32 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

 

I received the Mr. Beer premium kit for Christmas today and I am so damn excited!  I haven't been this much like a kid at Christmas for ages.  My kit contains the Aztec Mexican Cerveza and the Bohemian Czech Pilsner cans.  

 

I hereby agree to follow the directions to the letter and not mess with anything during the process of brewing my first batch.  I will also not rush so that I can be sure everything goes as it should.

 

This is going to be fun!  Hello from Toronto Canada.

 

Scott.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scott-Gardiner said:

Hello everyone.

 

I received the Mr. Beer premium kit for Christmas today and I am so damn excited!  I haven't been this much like a kid at Christmas for ages.  My kit contains the Aztec Mexican Cerveza and the Bohemian Czech Pilsner cans.  

 

I hereby agree to follow the directions to the letter and not mess with anything during the process of brewing my first batch.  I will also not rush so that I can be sure everything goes as it should.

 

This is going to be fun!  Hello from Toronto Canada.

 

Scott.

Welcome Scott.  No worries...  you are the 1st of many new Christmas newbies.  Enjoy your new addiction! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AnthonyC said:

Welcome Scott.  No worries...  you are the 1st of many new Christmas newbies.  Enjoy your new addiction! :)

 

Thanks Anthony.  I appreciate it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scott-Gardiner said:

 

Thanks Anthony.  I appreciate it! :)

1 more thing...   NEVER EVER be afraid to ask questions!  Merry Christmas!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you make a mistake and don't follow the instructions perfectly don't worry. Brewing is really quite forgiving, most problems can be solved and most brews can be salvaged...

Scott-Gardiner likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Brewer said:

And if you make a mistake and don't follow the instructions perfectly don't worry. Brewing is really quite forgiving, most problems can be solved and most brews can be salvaged...

Brewing is forgiving...  RickBeer, not so much! ;)  

Brewer and Scott-Gardiner like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

1 more thing...   NEVER EVER be afraid to ask questions!  Merry Christmas!!  

What he said.

 

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby!

Scott-Gardiner likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mele Kalikimaka, Scott and welcome to the addiction know as home brewing. The Cerveza kit isn't bad but will need at least six weeks conditioning to get rid of the green apple taste. Haven't tried the Czech Pils but I would assume the same thing. 

 

Words of advice:

*Cleanliness and sanatizeing are key to great beer.

*Brew day, have a plan before brewing and do at least one mental dry run to see if everything needed is there and ready.

*Temp control during primary fermentation (usually first three to five days) is second key to great beer. Keep the wort temp (of ales) around 64-66 until the gunk begins to settle will make better beer. 

*21 days is recommended fermentation for Mr. Beer kits is what's recommend but, don't worry if you go a day or two over. It won't hurt anything. 

*As you ask questions, read, read, read and read again you'll find yourself wanting to improve your process, upgrade your equipment in an attempt to brew better beer. For now stick with the Mr. Beer kits until you get a base understanding down pat. 

 

Again welcome and happy brewing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome aboard to your hopefully new obsession.  while excitement is encouraged, please keep all panic to a minimum while the beer is fermenting. in the event that the fermentation crashes into the sea, a life preserver is available for you beneath your seat cushion.  send all suspected 'bad' batches to me for prompt and professional disposal.

 

remember to ask every question as there are no 'dumb' questions except for those you don't ask that create problems for you later.

 

it is okay to perv your fermentation (gaze lovingly and obsessively at it)... as long as you a) don't open the top of your fermenter while in mid fermentation and b- you remain relatively panic free.

 

everything that could potentially go wrong, or look wrong that you may see ...  we've all likely been there / done that. 

 

we've all dropped bits of can label into the wort.

 

we've all wondered on pitching the yeast why nothing was happening immediately.

 

foam appearing magically on top of the wort is good (krausen).  gloppy stuff appearing on the bottom of the lbk is good. (trub)

try to keep your lbk temperature around 62-66f for your typical ale yeast to avoid cidery flavors.

 

above all remember this: yeast are incredibly hardy living things. they are also usually very forgiving of newbie mistakes.  once they get going it is really hard to mess up a batch.  watch your sanitation, follow instructions and most of all enjoy the hobby.  when and if it becomes 'work' or a bother, move on.  hopefully you will find every batch as exciting as the first for years and years.  learn all you can.  howtobrew.com is a very good look at home brewing by some dude named Palmer.  it's a very good read and takes you from the beginnings to all grain.

 

may the beer gods grant you good beer and much enjoyment!

 

edit - one last bit of advice :  learn from your mistakes. don't expect your early batches to super duper awesome omg fantastic beer. they could be...  but don't expect it. you will make mediocre batches. you will have batches that taste off. try to find out why and learn.   my 3rd or 4th batch was so god awful terrible...  because I didn't follow directions, rushed, and got a lacto bacillus infection in my wort.  I did not dump it. I added basically Tang powdered orange drink to each glass and drank it anyway. it helped make it taste less like unflavored yogurt.. not quite beer... and I learned from it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew I was in trouble from the start. way too much pumpkin. WAY too much. next when krausen began to form it was not light fluffy or dense white ... it was HUGE grey snot bubbles.. filmy.  then when it came to bottling there was so much pumpkin and hop crap that my siphon kept clogging. I put a filter around it and then that caused air bubbles in the line.

 

it tasted like sour unflavored yogurt in beer form. ack.   the libbys I overused was processed in mexico so I blame them for my lacto infection. josh had a great idea for others making pumpkin based beers to heat it first in the oven for a bit to kill cooties that might be in it... I think that was josh. anyway... 

 

I didn't follow directions.. rushed myself....  made mistake upon mistake...  but I drank it anyway. Ninkasi rewarded my not pouring it out and every beer since has been ok to great.. mostly great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to all new to the Forum. Read the advice posted, especially from RickBeer. No guarantees, but following the advice here (and reasonable sanitary procedure) you'll make a beer far better than Bud Light or Miller. As you progress, your beers will rival many craft beers, and even better.  

Stroomer420 and RickBeer like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone. I'm new too. Just made my first batch yesterday. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Thanks for being available!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, PTJ said:

Hello everyone. I'm new too. Just made my first batch yesterday. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Thanks for being available!

Welcome!  Ask away!!  😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Xmas nube here. Just started a batch of American Classic Light. Followed the instructions and now watching and anticipating. I have been researching the hobby awhile but was a little intimidated. Got the kit as a gift and here we go! Wish me luck, planning on fermenting 21 days and bottling in standard glass bottles. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dale hihn said:

Another Xmas nube here. Just started a batch of American Classic Light. Followed the instructions and now watching and anticipating. I have been researching the hobby awhile but was a little intimidated. Got the kit as a gift and here we go! Wish me luck, planning on fermenting 21 days and bottling in standard glass bottles. Cheers!

Welcome! From one new guy to another...... don't be afraid to post up and ask questions.... these guys around here know their stuff. They saved me from having a meh brew and now it's gonna be great thanks to them!

AnthonyC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hotrod3539 said:

Welcome! From one new guy to another...... don't be afraid to post up and ask questions.... these guys around here know their stuff. They saved me from having a meh brew and now it's gonna be great thanks to them!

Oh stop!  Now you're just embarrassing me!  😀😉👍🏽  Haha!

hotrod3539 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Oh stop!  Now you're just embarrassing me!  😀😉👍🏽  Haha!

Well..... except for that @AnthonyC guy...... he will promise to be your huckleberry then never send you the cider ingredient list to order..... lol! :P:D:D

AnthonyC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

Well..... except for that @AnthonyC guy...... he will promise to be your huckleberry then never send you the cider ingredient list to order..... lol! :P:D:D

Well I can't talk my way outta this one so here ya go.  Take note that all recipes can be swapped out for the Mr. Beer Apple Kits:

HARD SPICED PEAR CIDER

Mr. B Cider recipe

12oz lactose

1lb light dme (10mins)

1/4 cup mulled cider spices

 

HARD PUMPKIN PEAR CIDER

Mr. B Cider recipe

12oz lactose

1 can of Libby's Pumpkin Purée (300 degrees until tan on top & added after 1wk in lbk)

1tbs of pumpkin pie spice (I prefer McCormick's)

1lb light dme (10 mins)

 

HARD CHERRY PEAR CIDER

Mr. B. Cider recipe

12oz lactose

1lb light dme (10 mins)

Brewers Best Cherry (I used 3/4 of the bottle)

 

HARD GINGER PEAR CIDER

Mr. B. Cider recipe

12oz lactose

1lb light dme (10 mins)

Brewers Best Ginger (I used 1/2 of the bottle, but wish I used 3/4)

 

VERY HARD SPICED PEAR CIDER

BEWARE: This one could kill you!

Mr. B. Cider recipe

1 Mr. B. Classic American Light

1 pound of lactose

2 pounds of light dme (10mins)

1 cup of mulled cider spices (presweetened)

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_0239.JPG

Bonsai & Brew and hotrod3539 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now