Mr.Beer Community
KaijuBrew

Bottling Wand Technique

I've bottled 6 batches using the LBK and a bottling wand.  In two instances, the tubing has let go at the spigot end connected to the LBK.  Any tips on keeping in on there?  I periodically check through the bottling process but a tug on the tubing can cause it to let go at the spigot.  My wife / brew helper is not too keen on brew spilling on hard wood kitchen floor.  :-(

Bottling activities may be relegated to the basement!  :-)

You may need to replace your tubing adapter as it may be stretching too much to stay on. Fortunately, you can pick up food grade tubing at any local hardware store for cheap. A couple bucks will get you a nice length so you can have several replacement adapters. The tubing we use is clear vinyl food grade tubing, 5/16" ID x 7/16" OD. The OD doesn't matter much as long as the ID is 5/16" (though the 7/16" OD is perfect to fit in the SnapTap spigots of the Brewmax 2G and 6G fermenters). Fresh tubing should fit nice and snug.

3 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

I've bottled 6 batches using the LBK and a bottling wand.  In two instances, the tubing has let go at the spigot end connected to the LBK.  Any tips on keeping in on there?  I periodically check through the bottling process but a tug on the tubing can cause it to let go at the spigot.  My wife / brew helper is not too keen on brew spilling on hard wood kitchen floor.  :-(

Bottling activities may be relegated to the basement!  :-)

That is why I bottle into the sink. I use mostly PET bottles.

The wand is convenient for getting right level in the bottle, and many people like it but I don't use one.  The LBKs I can bottle right into a bottle held slanted in the sink. The 2Gal Brewmax is not easy to do that with as it has no spout. So I cut 1.5 inches off my wand and use that as a spout on the Brewmax spigot. I had to put the Brewmax raised up though to get space for the bottle in the sink.

I have no problem estimating level in the bottles and controlling the spigots.

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

A bottling wand, with a length of tubing as describes, guarantees a perfect fill every time.  And it's EASIER than shutting the spigot off and on repeatedly.

I'm not sure what kind of spigot you use, but having to move my finger about 3/4" doesn't really cause me problems enough where I need to seek out easier solutions.