Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bhob

Galaxy Hops

I made a batch of Horses Ass but with the following small changes

1. Added booster

2. Used 1oz Galaxy hops with a 5 minute boil

I have tried with various yeasts, but the Mr. Beer yeast is fine and makes this pretty affordable.

It was really nice, the Galaxy hops have a nice flavor and aroma. This is on my continuous brew list now. I wish Mr. B had Galaxy!

I used Galaxy hops with the Diablo IPA base before and it was really tasty.  We did a tasting with a store bought IPA and mine was the bees knees compared to the store bought.  I love cascade hops, but I might have to try making that with Galaxy instead to see how it turns out.  I used both Cascade and Galaxy hops in my own IPA.  It also had Columbus and Centennial.  So good!  I agree, some Galaxy would be a great addition!

1 hour ago, Bach's Brews said:

I used Galaxy hops with the Diablo IPA base before and it was really tasty.  We did a tasting with a store bought IPA and mine was the bees knees compared to the store bought.  I love cascade hops, but I might have to try making that with Galaxy instead to see how it turns out.  I used both Cascade and Galaxy hops in my own IPA.  It also had Columbus and Centennial.  So good!  I agree, some Galaxy would be a great addition!

Bee's Knees!  You get a like just for that golden oldie!

Annex_-_Stewart,_James_(Call_Northside_777)_01.jpg

The last IPA I brewed was a partial mash frankenbeer from a free NB SMASH Ale kit, six pounds grains (mashed), left over 0.5oz Columbus hops, 3oz Simcoe hops (included in the NB kit) and 3oz Mosaic hops my uncle gave me. Fermented with two smack packs American Ale II yeast in a 2ltr starter. Beer finished out at 9.9% and has huge grapefruit aroma and flavor. So far one of my favorites. 

I've only brewed with Galaxy once as it's quite a spendy little hop. However, the batch I did was a NE-Style IPA and it was amazing!  Those 15 gallons didn't stay around long.  Not sure when I can add it, "Endless Wisdom", back to the brew schedule, but I'm looking forward to it! 

IMG_0463.PNG

2 hours ago, kedogn said:

I've only brewed with Galaxy once as it's quite a spendy little hop. However, the batch I did was a NE-Style IPA and it was amazing!  Those 15 gallons didn't stay around long.  Not sure when I can add it, "Endless Wisdom", back to the brew schedule, but I'm looking forward to it! 

IMG_0463.PNG

My frankenbeer was hazy but not that hazy. I assume you used no fining agents?

14 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

My frankenbeer was hazy but not that hazy. I assume you used no fining agents?

Correct. I made it to style.  It's meant to be hazy like that, which is why I used flaked wheat, flaked oats and white wheat malt.  I'd be curious to brew it again, but use Amarillo hops instead of Galaxy. 

6 minutes ago, kedogn said:

Correct. I made it to style.  It's meant to be hazy like that, which is why I used flaked wheat, flaked oats and white wheat malt.  I'd be curious to brew it again, but use Amarillo hops instead of Galaxy. 

My cousin brewed an NE style IPA with Amarillo and it was delicious. Still wasn't as hazy as yours though. I can't remember his malt bill. 

11 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

My cousin brewed an NE style IPA with Amarillo and it was delicious. Still wasn't as hazy as yours though. I can't remember his malt bill. 

I've got about 4#s of Amarillo in the freezer, maybe I should work that in later this month. :) 

This is the only thing I used them in. Very fruity good winey flavor from NS hops.

Fruity Wheat 2
HME Bav Weissbier
Extra Malt - 8 oz Wheat DME
4 oz Instant Oats + 4 oz Flaked wheat + 4 oz 2 row steeped 30 min
5g (1 tbsp) Coriander, 1 orange zest boil with 1st hop 5 min.
(0.5 oz Galaxy Hop/0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin Hop mixed. )

Boil 0.5 oz of mixture 5 min.

add the other 0.5 oz at flameout
WLP400  yeast