Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve-Oh

What is your priming sugar preference?

21 posts in this topic

I've made several batches of beer now but not many that have reached the drinking stage. Still a newbie. What is everyone's preference when it comes to priming the bottles? I started with the Cooper's Carbonation Drops. But it says for a 12 oz bottle use 3/4 of a drop. Even with a pill cutter I had a hard time getting that very precise. So I switched to the Brewer's Best Conditioning Tablets. It's carbonation scale is 3 tablets/low 4 tablets/medium 5 tablets/high per 12 oz. I like these so far.  I usually put 4 or 5 tablets per 12 oz bottle. But I'm reading where many of you are using the Domino Sugar Cube Dots. I haven't tried these yet. I hear 1 dot per 12 oz works good. 

So lets take a poll. For those of you who bottle prime what do you like the best? Pros and cons of each? 

1. Cooper's Carbonation Drops

2. Brewer's Best Conditioning Tablets

3. Domino Sugar Dots

4. Table sugar or something else? 

Inquiring minds want to know

I have no preference because they all do the exact same thing without changing the flavor in any way. The only difference would be that tablets and drops are simply more convenient than measuring out sugar. But they all ferment the same way in the bottle.

RickBeer, sabres032 and John K. like this

I started with the carbonation drops because it was super easy.  I put one drop into each 12 oz bottle and they all turned out fine.  I wanted to save time and money so I switched to batch priming.  I use a calculator as well depending on the type of beer you're brewing you'll adjust accordingly.  Since batch priming, I haven't turned back.  I use corn sugar.

I started out using table sugar but just recently switched to the Domino Dots.  

18 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

I just use table sugar and batch prime.. Used the sugar calculator from northern brew site...

This bring another question to mind. What are the pros and cons of Batch priming vs Bottle priming? 

Discussed many times.  No reason to spend any more than what's in the sugar bowl in your house, unless you like convenience.  

There are no cons to batch priming except the cost of the 2nd LBK or priming container.  It guarantees the proper level of carbonation in all bottles, and ensures even less trub.   The only con would be don't try it until you've got the brewing process down.

Steve-Oh likes this

Everyone has their own preference... For me its just seems easier and I know all my bottles are gonna be evenly carbed ....cons??? None on my end,,,,cold crashing and batch priming for me is the easier way,,, but again everyone has their own preference ....just gotta see what works for you,,that's the great thing about this hobby..

oh and another reason I prefer batch priming,, I usually am bottling 2-3 batches and if I'm using 12 oz glass bottles I dont wanna be filling 40-60 plus bottles individually ...again preference... 🍻

Edited by Stroomer420
Steve-Oh likes this

plain white table sugar. I use the MB sugar scoop to measure and get it in the bottles. Easy, fast, cheap.

4 hours ago, BrianBrew said:

I use Domino Dots. Just drop one in each 12 oz bottle. No muss. No fuss.

Ditto - or more in the .500    .750 and 1L PET ones.

Sometimes you have to turn them around to get them to fit well, or require pushing less.

16 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

Everyone has their own preference... For me its just seems easier and I know all my bottles are gonna be evenly carbed ....cons??? None on my end,,,,cold crashing and batch priming for me is the easier way,,, but again everyone has their own preference ....just gotta see what works for you,,that's the great thing about this hobby..

oh and another reason I prefer batch priming,, I usually am bottling 2-3 batches and if I'm using 12 oz glass bottles I dont wanna be filling 40-60 plus bottles individually ...again preference... 🍻

I am going to be bottling this weekend with this exact same method. Just wondering what temperature you use for the priming calculator. I am currently cold crashing and the priming calculators don't specify if it's current temp at bottling or the average temp of fermentation. Thanks!

before I start to bottle up my beer,,I'll boil up my sugar water and put it in a sanitized mason jar cover it and put aside,,then I'll go and start getting my priming bucket and bottles and tubing and bottling wand ready for sanitizing,,,by the time I'm done with sanitizing everything my priming solution is cooled down and I'm ready to go,,then I just batch prime and start filling my bottles,,I use all different sizes,,some liter bottles a couple small bottles for sampling along the way,,,I don't have to measure for different size bottles,,I just fill em and cap em...🍻

Table sugar (with a funnel) for bottle priming.

Corn Sugar for batch priming.

The only reason for this is that either 5g recipes come with corn sugar or I add it ($.75) to my orders.  I have not noticed a difference in the taste of the final product.

I have always used pure cane sugar for bottle priming and batch priming. Mainly because, when I first started brewing, it was right there in my kitchen. Since then I really saw no reason to use anything else.

5 hours ago, dale hihn said:

I am going to be bottling this weekend with this exact same method. Just wondering what temperature you use for the priming calculator. I am currently cold crashing and the priming calculators don't specify if it's current temp at bottling or the average temp of fermentation. Thanks!

You want to use the highest temp that it achieved during fermenting.  

dale hihn likes this

I just use plain table sugar as well. My only extra expense was a nice stainless steel tablespoon with a tapered end to minimize spillage. I have to admit that I'm not extremely exact in measuring; just a slightly heaping teaspoon into each 1/2 L bottle. Four batches in and all bottles have been very tasty!

I use glucose (corn sugar) across the board. It comes in powder form easy to handle.

Easy to increase ABV or tweak a stout with less carbonation.

Table sugar is most common but to each their own.

I would stay with table sugar on root beer mixes.

M

On 1/20/2017 at 10:28 AM, Screwy Brewer said:

I have always used pure cane sugar for bottle priming and batch priming. Mainly because, when I first started brewing, it was right there in my kitchen. Since then I really saw no reason to use anything else.

Same here, only used the drops in the bottles on the first batch, been batch priming with cane sugar ever since.  I noticed a slight inconsistency in the carbonation, bottle to bottle of the first batch but since moving to batch priming, very consistent. I use the calculator on Screwy's website.

Screwy Brewer likes this