Mr.Beer Community
BigSteve

What happened?

Haven't brewed in about a year.  Prior to that I made about 4 or 5 batches, without a hitch.  I always put the LBK into a large cooler (No ice or anything) and leave it alone for three weeks before bottling.  I'm brewing Diablo IPA, and today is three weeks.  I opened the cooler to find a fair amount of beer rolling around the cooler.   The beer remaining in the LBK is still at the correct level as per the hash line on the keg.  I am certain that I did not overfill it 3 weeks ago.   The outside of the keg is not tacky or sticky as I would expect it to be if beer came out the top.  The spigot as far as I can see, is fine.   One other thing is that small sample of beer I tried does taste like flat beer, but it has a very strong alcohol taste, more so than most beers I've ever had.

Can anyone make sense of this?  I suppose the spigot is leaking, but it sure doesn't look like it.  And the level in the keg is still correct.  I'm scratching my head.

You overheated your beer.  Putting an LBK in a closed cooler means that the heat generated by fermentation is trapped, further raising the temperature of the wort.  Diablo is already a very malty brew, and can sometimes overflow.  Couple that with fermenting it very warm, and that's what happened.

The top of the LBK has notches in the threads to allow CO2 to leave and keep the LBK from pressurizing.  What happened is that the beer came out those notches, just like it should.

And, you have lost some beer.

You should bottle as normal and condition for at least 4 weeks at room temp, probably longer.

In the future, I'd suggest fermenting at 65 by putting ice bottles in the cooler and switching them out as needed to maintain a wort temp of 65.  Or don't close the lid at the very least.

Interesting.  Of the previous 4 or 5 brews, this was probably the third time I put the LBK in the cooler like that.  Guess I just got lucky.  I also think I used to open it once a day and take a peek, which would have allowed some heat to escape.  This time I put it in the cooler and let it be for three weeks.

Thanks for the explanation.

Imagine if you will a drunk @BigSteve whos hobby is brewing beer. His second hobby is perving his beer. Its late, steve should've been in bed a long time ago. This PBR in his hand isnt helping either.  But just one last peek at his Diablo before bed is whats on his mind. He opens the cooler and gets lost in the aroma. Suddenly he is brought back to reality by a sound. He turns quickly to confront the imaginary intruder and as he does his PBR drops in to the cooler spilling beer everywhere. His decision: PBR or intruder? He quietly picks back up his PBR, takes the last drink and walks down the hall to bed. Forgetting all about the intruder. 

Happens all the time. Relax, have a home brew

2 hours ago, BigSteve said:

No leak when bottling.  So I assume what happened is as Rickbeer described.  I didn't think that happened, because I assumed the outside of the Keg would be a mess, it was not.

I've had the LBK appear to be 100% free, but somehow after a few days it found a way to leak around the spigot.  

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I've had the LBK appear to be 100% free, but somehow after a few days it found a way to leak around the spigot.  

Me too, so now I put washers inside and out. Standard garden hose washers work. Also I make sure there are no ridges on the seam by the spigot.

Still there are times when from looking underneath, I could swear there some minor drip somewhere but still nothing on the spigot.

I know this is taboo with the spigot, but after I originally install the spigot new, I never remove again, and just thoroughly sanitize the crap out of it, never had an issue, except once, and it was my error, I put the washer on the inside of the LBK instead of the outside.

6 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I know this is taboo with the spigot, but after I originally install the spigot new, I never remove again, and just thoroughly sanitize the crap out of it, never had an issue, except once, and it was my error, I put the washer on the inside of the LBK instead of the outside.

Trub is the big sealer.

6 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I've considered doing this as well Hoppy, but I didn't want Rick to yell at me.  ?

On 1/22/2017 at 7:00 PM, Brian N. said:

I'm with Hoppy - never removed the spigot. After many brews, never had a problem with sanitation or leaks.

It would seem like it would be difficult to get the nut clean inside the keg, especially the bottom 1/2.

Flushing often does not remove things.  When you remove and take apart the valve, you can see into every nook and cranny.  When done for the first time after a few brews, people are surprised to find that what they thought was clean is in fact not clean.

Sanitizing residue does not sanitize the fermenter, the residue must be removed.

2 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Flushing often does not remove things.  When you remove and take apart the valve, you can see into every nook and cranny.  When done for the first time after a few brews, people are surprised to find that what they thought was clean is in fact not clean.

Sanitizing residue does not sanitize the fermenter, the residue must be removed.

I'll just say I take mine apart ,,, this past brew day I grabbed my LBKs that I used last time they were rinsed with cold water really well,,, looked smelled clean... Buuuut I felt the need to take the spigot apart and just make sure to do a good cleaning and there was a ton of residue and sticky stuff between the nut and in between the rubber gasket/washer....soooo I say to each their own but for my beers sake and my own piece of mind I will always take apart and clean it correctly... ?

Just to be clear, I'm saying take it off the fermenter, remove the washer, then disassemble the spigot into 2 pieces.  This can be done by swiveling back and forth, or lining things up right and twisting with a screwdriver.  On brewing day I put the pieces into my sanitation bucket, then assemble and place on a sanitized plate before putting in the LBK.  

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

actually I use a high pressure washer to clean the washer

Do you wash the pressure washer before washing the washer?  If not, when you wash the washer with a dirty washer you may spray dirt from the washer onto the washer.

:P                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

39 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Do you wash the pressure washer before washing the washer?  If not, when you wash the washer with a dirty washer you may spray dirt from the washer onto the washer.

:P                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Okay, that one made my head hurt

On 1/22/2017 at 2:11 AM, HoppySmile! said:

I am considering making this part of my brewing canon.

50 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

I am considering making this part of my brewing canon.

I mostly just lurk here, but that is some of the worst advice I've ever seen. 

That's like saying that since you've played Russian Roulette and lived, that it's a fun game to play. 

I used to take the spigot off and clean it. Then somebody mentioned that it could be taken apart. I took one apart and was astonished/disgusted at the amount of mold inside. 

Take the spigot off, take it apart, clean it after every use. Leave it apart if you're not brewing soon. Sanitize it before using it again.