PTJ

First bottling day today

42 posts in this topic

So.....I bottled my first batch today. And I'm reading the forum. Thanks for all the information. A few newbie questions:

 

1. There was some sediment in the bottom of the keg. Normal?

 

2.  When I put the bottles in the fridge (after 4 weeks) do the bottles need to stand up or ok to lay on their side?

 

3. How long will the beer last in the fridge? Is there a recommendation?

 

4. When should I start my next batch?

 

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.. Yup that is called trub totally normal

2.. I stand mine up cause you'll get sediment at the bottom of the bottle

3.. Not positive but I just pulled some bottles outta the back of the fridge that's been there for like seven months were just fine

4...A.S.A.P!!!!! 😁 congrats on your brew and good luck... 🍻

hotrod3539, John K. and Steve Ortiz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, me too, my first batch is bottles now. Looking forward to this next month being over so I

 can drink the final product. 

dale hihn likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PTJ said:

So.....I bottled my first batch today. And I'm reading the forum. Thanks for all the information. A few newbie questions:

 

1. There was some sediment in the bottom of the keg. Normal?

 

2.  When I put the bottles in the fridge (after 4 weeks) do the bottles need to stand up or ok to lay on their side?

 

3. How long will the beer last in the fridge? Is there a recommendation?

 

4. When should I start my next batch?

 

Thanks!

 

 

Your beer's flavor will improve as it conditions at room temperature.  So after the minimum conditioning time (in this case four weeks) you'll only want to put what you plan on drinking in the immediate future into the fridge.  Let them sit for three days, then give them a pour.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Right.  And a year later it is still good.  Even 2 years. 

Even in the Mr. Beer PET's?  (2yrs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Yes

My PET's must be defective.  All of the beer that I bottled in PET's from October 2015 are now flat or have lost significant carbonation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

My PET's must be defective.  All of the beer that I bottled in PET's from October 2015 are now flat or have lost significant carbonation. 

 

How many times have you used them? You might need to replace your caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, the real fix is to have more friends who enjoy drinking your home brews quicker!

BMFLIPPER likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

How many times have you used them? You might need to replace your caps.

Those were only used 2x.  They came with my original kit that I bought in August 2015.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PTJ said:

Of course, the real fix is to have more friends who enjoy drinking your home brews quicker!

Watch what you say or you will find yourself in a spot where you cant brew fast enough to keep up with demand, trust me on that!  lol :)

bocklover and PTJ like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bocklover said:

I dont have any help other than my wife and the guy across the street.  Even kegging 5 gal batches, I cant keep up with the demand.

I'm now up to 8 kegs trying to get the supply line in check. Watch out this is an ADDICTIVE hobby!:D

You aren't kidding!  A few people at work found out that I home brew and it spread like wild fire!  Now I get a few "special requests" a month.  I don't mind b/c I have them pay for the recipe and all I ask in return is a 12pk out of a 5g batch.  This has allowed me to sample beer that I ordinarily wouldn't buy for myself. :)

Shrike, PTJ and kedogn like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

You aren't kidding!  A few people at work found out that I home brew and it spread like wild fire!  Now I get a few "special requests" a month.  I don't mind b/c I have them pay for the recipe and all I ask in return is a 12pk out of a 5g batch.  This has allowed me to sample beer that I ordinarily wouldn't buy for myself. :)

 

That's a pretty sweet deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shrike said:

 

That's a pretty sweet deal!

Only complaint is hearing, "Is it ready yet?"  If you don't home brew than you have trouble realizing that this takes time.

Big Sarge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Only complaint is hearing, "Is it ready yet?"  If you don't home brew than you have trouble realizing that this takes time.

 

Very true.  I have a brother-in-law that was rather shocked to hear that I put a batch of American Burleywine in the LBK about 10 days ago that I wouldn't be drinking until next fall and winter.

AnthonyC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shrike said:

 

Very true.  I have a brother-in-law that was rather shocked to hear that I put a batch of American Burleywine in the LBK about 10 days ago that I wouldn't be drinking until next fall and winter.

Shrike, you're going to love that recipe.  I let mine sit for a year and it was great.  I have a few left that are now 16 months old & they're fantastic.  I just picked up the NB 5g version of this and reviewers suggest waiting two years before it hits its peak.  Luckily my supply line appears to be nearly infinite, so I'll survive the wait.  Good luck with your recipe!!  😀

Shrike likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bocklover said:

I dont have any help other than my wife and the guy across the street.  Even kegging 5 gal batches, I cant keep up with the demand.

I'm now up to 8 kegs trying to get the supply line in check. Watch out this is an ADDICTIVE hobby!:D

I brew 1bbl at a time, but can't find enough time to brew to keep up.  People keep asking me for sixtels and I just don't have them. I'd like to brew more often and maybe after tax season and we move (which we are doing to have a bigger garage for the brewery - we have single car one now, that if empty would barely fit a single car, its tiny!) I'll have the time. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

You aren't kidding!  A few people at work found out that I home brew and it spread like wild fire!  Now I get a few "special requests" a month.  I don't mind b/c I have them pay for the recipe and all I ask in return is a 12pk out of a 5g batch.  This has allowed me to sample beer that I ordinarily wouldn't buy for myself. :)

Yeah, don't get me started about 'demand' from coworkers. I take in growlers all the time, even my GM asks for some. One coworker asked that I make him a batch for his 21st bday. That was pretty cool and "Black Jack Moran" was born. 

Shrike likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man!!! What have I gotten myself in to???? Do I cancel the master bathroom remodel and divert the money to building the new brew and bottling room???

kedogn and Steve-Oh like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PTJ said:

Oh man!!! What have I gotten myself in to???? Do I cancel the master bathroom remodel and divert the money to building the new brew and bottling room???

Yes! :) 

Steve Ortiz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PTJ said:

Oh man!!! What have I gotten myself in to???? Do I cancel the master bathroom remodel and divert the money to building the new brew and bottling room???

Yes indeed.  You won't have time to do any of that anyway, brewing is all consuming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now