PTJ

First bottling day today

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PTJ said:

Oh man!!! What have I gotten myself in to???? Do I cancel the master bathroom remodel and divert the money to building the new brew and bottling room???

duh.jpg

:):):)

Stroomer420 likes this

11 hours ago, PTJ said:

Oh man!!! What have I gotten myself in to???? Do I cancel the master bathroom remodel and divert the money to building the new brew and bottling room???

Reel them in with a few freebies, then charge them after they're hooked.  You will have your own beer cartel.

On 1/24/2017 at 4:19 PM, Shrike said:

Very true.  I have a brother-in-law that was rather shocked to hear that I put a batch of American Burleywine in the LBK about 10 days ago that I wouldn't be drinking until next fall and winter.

This is what's going to kill me about the Lock Stock and Barrel that I'll be brewing tomorrow.

...I'll probably give in to the temptation to taste it on my birthday at only 3.5 months of conditioning...

On 1/24/2017 at 3:19 PM, Shrike said:

Very true.  I have a brother-in-law that was rather shocked to hear that I put a batch of American Burleywine in the LBK about 10 days ago that I wouldn't be drinking until next fall and winter.

Did you also tell him that recipe costs $50 to yield 22 bottles of beer? Im in my cheap mode yet again, sorry

20 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Did you also tell him that recipe costs $50 to yield 22 bottles of beer? Im in my cheap mode yet again, sorry

Still, you gotta look at it this way:  that's $2.27 per bottle for a 10% ABV drink.  You're not going to find a deal like that in a store unless your tastes run to this:

nightTrainNThunderbird.gif

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

That is a very expensive recipe, considering the yield, but it is worth trying once. I think that the Lock, Stock, and Barrel is very close to the same price.  It actually came out to be more for me b/c I added the third can of Saint Pats HME.  🐿

49 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

That is a very expensive recipe, considering the yield, but it is worth trying once. I think that the Lock, Stock, and Barrel is very close to the same price.  It actually came out to be more for me b/c I added the third can of Saint Pats HME.  🐿

I bought the Burleywine and Lock, Stock & Barrel during one of MB's holiday sales, so that brought the price per bottle down even more.  I'm waiting for a 20% sale before getting the Novacaine.

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

I bought the Burleywine and Lock, Stock & Barrel during one of MB's holiday sales, so that brought the price per bottle down even more.  I'm waiting for a 20% sale before getting the Novacaine.

I still have a lot of waiting before I can drink the LS&B, but I loved the Burley Wine... I have a feeling that you will too!  :)

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

I still have a lot of waiting before I can drink the LS&B, but I loved the Burley Wine... I have a feeling that you will too!  :)

Me too.  Mid-April will be the six month conditioning point.  But I think I'm going to have to crack one open on March 17th...just for quality control, of course. :) 

18 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Me too.  Mid-April will be the six month conditioning point.  But I think I'm going to have to crack one open on March 17th...just for quality control, of course. :) 

My supply line is so good (on top of what I have sitting in the bottles already, I have 15 gallons of IPA's in the bucket + brewing 6g worth of Mr. Beer recipes this weekend) that I can afford to wait the entire year.  I think that is what's best for mine especially since I added that 3rd can of HME.  I have a 5g Barley Wine recipe sitting at home as well & from what I've read, I think that it is going to go from brew to drink in about 24mths!  Can you imagine!! 

1 minute ago, AnthonyC said:

My supply line is so good (on top of what I have sitting in the bottles already, I have 15 gallons of IPA's in the bucket + brewing 6g worth of Mr. Beer recipes this weekend) that I can afford to wait the entire year.  I think that is what's best for mine especially since I added that 3rd can of HME.  I have a 5g Barley Wine recipe sitting at home as well & from what I've read, I think that it is going to go from brew to drink in about 24mths!  Can you imagine!! 

Wow, and I thought I was being patient by not opening one of my Burleywines until October. :)

Today was my first bottling day. I too experienced sediment in bottom of fermenter.  Did I not stir enough when brewing? Think I'll buy plastic twist top bottles for next bottling seems to be easier. I used 12 oz bottles and had to cut 1/4 off of carbonation drops per instructions. 750 ml bottles uses the whole drop. Pain!  I feel like such a rookie. Any tips?

19 minutes ago, Steve Ortiz said:

Today was my first bottling day. I too experienced sediment in bottom of fermenter.  Did I not stir enough when brewing? Think I'll buy plastic twist top bottles for next bottling seems to be easier. I used 12 oz bottles and had to cut 1/4 off of carbonation drops per instructions. 750 ml bottles uses the whole drop. Pain!  I feel like such a rookie. Any tips?

sediment at the bottom of the fermenter is totally normal ,,, that's the trub ,and I always batch prime when I bottle ,,,when your ready read up on that ,,, it's actually quite easy....🍻

25 minutes ago, Steve Ortiz said:

Sediment AKA Trub  is a GREAT thing!! It means the yeast did it's job.... you want to leave that in the LBK when you bottle (well as much as possible). I use the 750ml bottles (for now) just for simplicity because drop in two Carbo drops, add beer, twist on cap and gently tilt a couple times and boom done. You can use regular table sugar (3/4 teaspoon per 12oz bottle or 2 - 2 1/2 teaspoons for the 750 ml) if you don't wanna cut drops and tilt a couple extra times to make sure sugar is mixed in. Some folks use sugar cubes.....

1 hour ago, Steve Ortiz said:

As the others said, that "sediment" is trub, which is a byproduct of fermentation.  It's a sign that...drum-roll please...you made beer! :)  It's perfectly normal and  you should worry if you DON'T have it.
As for bottling, I used to add measured, calculated, customized-to-beer-style table sugar to each bottle, but I recently switched to Domino's Dots sugar cubes.  It simplifies things:  one cube in a 12 oz bottle, two in a 500ml or  "Grolsch"-style pint bottle.
I haven't taken the step to batch priming yet, as Stroomer mentions above, but many choose to do it that way.

ETA:  Oh, and welcome to the forum!

hotrod3539 likes this

On January 22, 2017 at 7:47 PM, PTJ said:

Thanks Dale! Let's compare notes when we have our first pour!

We are getting close to first pour......excited?!?!?