BDawg62

Cool Ranch Doritos Cream Ale

40 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about doing this one for several months. I heard about a brewery out West that made this beer several years ago. My biggest concern was the various oils that would come from the Doritos and how to deal with that oil.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger.

After mashing (I use a 5 gallon drink cooler and a paint strainer bag) and collecting 3.8 gallons of wort I realized that there was quite a layer of oil on top.  As I was heating to a boil it was fairly easy to skim it off and remove it with a spoon. By the time boiling started, I had removed most all of the oil. A small amount came up as the boil started but was easily removed. The boil went as planned and cooled wort that was visibly oil free was transferred to a carboy and yeast was pitched. This evening (24 hours in) I noticed what appears to be some small droplets of oil on the top of the fermenting wort.

I will say that PBW and hot water made quick work of cleaning my equipment leaving no residual oils or smell. 

2.5 gallon all grain

3#         2 row brewers malt

1.5#     Cool Ranch Doritos (crushed)

.25oz    Cascade (60 min)

.25oz    Cascade (5 min)

Wyeast American Ale yeast #1056

Mashed @ 148 for 90 minutes, then a 60 minute boil. 

OG          1.049

IBUs          16

I will update in two weeks at bottling time. 

One and a half pounds of Doritos?  Damn!  I'm looking forward to the follow-ups on this one.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

I can not imagine this will end well.

So far so good.  Fermenting as it should be allbeit with no Krausen.  But then again with the oil in the wort that is kind of to be expected. 

I figure there will be absolutely no head retention on the beer and it will probably not be one that does well with ageing.

I'm surprised it's even fermenting at all with all the preservatives in Doritos. Also, how did you not get a stuck mash? I would have used some rice hulls at least. You will have to send me a sample when it's done for analysis. ;)

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

I'm surprised it's even fermenting at all with all the preservatives in Doritos. Also, how did you not get a stuck mash? I would have used some rice hulls at least. You will have to send me a sample when it's done for analysis. ;)

Believe it or not, when I looked at the ingredients in Cool Ranch Doritos, I didn't see any preservatives listed.  Maybe it was an incomplete list, it is however fermenting like mad.  So if there are any preservatives, the yeast kicked their butt.

I mash in a Home Depot 5 gallon drink cooler and use a paint strainer bag for filtration.  Kind of a modified BIAB system.  I then run the wort through a 300 micron filter before I let it go into the brew kettle.  No stuck mashes with this method possible and fairly clear wort into the kettle.

As for the sample, it is going to depend on how good it is when it is done.:D

1 minute ago, BDawg62 said:

Believe it or not, when I looked at the ingredients in Cool Ranch Doritos, I didn't see any preservatives listed.  Maybe it was an incomplete list, it is however fermenting like mad.  So if there are any preservatives, the yeast kicked their butt.

I mash in a Home Depot 5 gallon drink cooler and use a paint strainer bag for filtration.  Kind of a modified BIAB system.  I then run the wort through a 300 micron filter before I let it go into the brew kettle.  No stuck mashes with this method possible and fairly clear wort into the kettle.

As for the sample, it is going to depend on how good it is when it is done.:D

MSG isn't technically a preservative, but it can negatively affect the yeast, I think, but probably not in small amounts.

Should i follow your lead and make my own creation? It would have to be between my favorites, funyons or dill pickle chips. Or girl scout cookies. Def not bugles though, those things are nasty 

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Should i follow your lead and make my own creation? It would have to be between my favorites, funyons or dill pickle chips. Or girl scout cookies. Def not bugles though, those things are nasty 

My local brewery has a beer that they call "Gimme Samoa That".  Was supposed to resemble Girl Scout Samoan Cookies, but I think they missed the mark.

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have actually had conversations where Funyons was discussed.  I just don't know about an onion flavor in beer.  I also don't know what the base is for Funyons, Doritos are corn so it really isn't much different than flaked corn.  I will say I wish they still sold baked Doritos at my local store, it would have created less of a mess.

Dill pickle chips may be a different story all together.  I did see where someone did a Thin Mint cookie beer.  I have tried New Belgium's Chocolate Chip Cookie dough beer and it was pretty good.  The cookie dough really came through in the aftertaste.

You never know unless you try it.  :)

HoppySmile! and Creeps McLane like this

y'all got me thinking,,, I've been tolling with the idea of gotta have my pops bfast beer....

was thinking

6 ounces of 2 row

4 ounces of flaked corn

2 ounces carapils

steep 30 mins

at flame out add

4 pouches of wheat LME

a leftover Mr beer wheat yeast

two cups of corn pops added after a week

...... 😁

1 hour ago, Stroomer420 said:

y'all got me thinking,,, I've been tolling with the idea of gotta have my pops bfast beer....

was thinking

6 ounces of 2 row

4 ounces of flaked corn

2 ounces carapils

steep 30 mins

at flame out add

4 pouches of wheat LME

a leftover Mr beer wheat yeast

two cups of corn pops added after a week

...... 😁

Stroomer,

The corn pops will probably restart fermentation with the sugar in them.

Maybe go 60 minutes on the steep (mash) so that the corn can actually have time to convert it's starches.

Go for it.  That is why we homebrew.:)

Stroomer420 likes this

On 1/24/2017 at 0:33 PM, MRB Josh R said:

MSG isn't technically a preservative, but it can negatively affect the yeast, I think, but probably not in small amounts.

Isn't MSG a yeast by-product though? Or is that only some strains?

Okay, it's time for the drunken <CENSORED> to step in and show what little he knows/doesn't know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

MSG is a type of salt.  If you believe Wikipedia, and many don't. It's both natural, and can be man-made.  RickBeer can provide a link that there are more to tastes than salty/sweet/bitter/sour/savory/etc, but in point, it is a salt-based flavor enhancer.   Per the US, it *can* be present in a variety of other additives, including hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, but I don't see it being considered a yeast by-product.

Point blank, if you like salty flavored beers, do this recipe.  The worst you can do is waste three weeks of an LBK.  MSG won't kill you, and from what little I know, it won't kill the fermentation process.  If something ELSE kills it, that's a different subject.

MRB Josh........can salts affect yeast?  (thanks in advanced)

40 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

MRB Josh........can salts affect yeast?  (thanks in advanced)

You add salt when making bread, bread uses yeast. Wouldnt imagine it would kill it or anything.

MiniYoda likes this

20 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

You add salt when making bread, bread uses yeast. Wouldnt imagine it would kill it or anything.

Creeps, with the understanding that you have five times more plus votes than you do, I won't argue.  I will only ask in order to learn

I think yeast to make bread and yeast to make beer are different.  Why, I honestly don't know, but I won't try bread yeast on my beer unless told to do so.

without digging deeper, because I have to get up and get ready for work in about 4 hour.........I found this on the 'net

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/salt-in-bread-baking-how-much-and-why/

salt plays a role in tightening the gluten structure and adding strength to your dough

Salt slows down fermentation and enzyme activity in dough. The salt crystals draw water away form their environment (salt is ‘hygroscopic’). When salt and yeast compete for water, salt wins and the yeast is slowed down.

but

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-put-salt-in-beer

the salt crystals help the teeny tiny carbon dioxide bubbles get together to form a carbon dioxide bubble large enough to float to the surface.

I'm not going to argue with someone who put cool ranch doritos in their wort.  It will have oils and salts not found in most beers.  If it works, I'll drink one to him, and would love to try it.  Someone put a sack of cereal in beer, and lo and behold........it worked!.  It goes to show you never can tell https://genius.com/Chuck-berry-you-never-can-tell-lyrics

P.S.

Yes, music is a very serious hobby of mine.  Beer is catching up

2 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Creeps, with the understanding that you have five times more plus votes than you do, I won't argue.  I will only ask in order to learn

I think yeast to make bread and yeast to make beer are different.  Why, I honestly don't know, but I won't try bread yeast on my beer unless told to do so.

without digging deeper, because I have to get up and get ready for work in about 4 hour.........I found this on the 'net

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/salt-in-bread-baking-how-much-and-why/

salt plays a role in tightening the gluten structure and adding strength to your dough

Salt slows down fermentation and enzyme activity in dough. The salt crystals draw water away form their environment (salt is ‘hygroscopic’). When salt and yeast compete for water, salt wins and the yeast is slowed down.

but

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-put-salt-in-beer

the salt crystals help the teeny tiny carbon dioxide bubbles get together to form a carbon dioxide bubble large enough to float to the surface.

I'm not going to argue with someone who put cool ranch doritos in their wort.  It will have oils and salts not found in most beers.  If it works, I'll drink one to him, and would love to try it.  Someone put a sack of cereal in beer, and lo and behold........it worked!.  It goes to show you never can tell https://genius.com/Chuck-berry-you-never-can-tell-lyrics

Are we talking about my ding a ling a ling all of a sudden?

MiniYoda likes this

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

Are we talking about my ding a ling a ling all of a sudden?

That's his later years..........and I need more beers..............

Ok ok, though i too think that the two yeasts are different, theyre still the same animal right? You could use bread yeast if you wanted to ferment your beer. I remember a you tube channel I subscribed to told me you could. But it wouldnt yield very good beer. I have to be honest, i nearly skimmed your post cuz though science is very interesting to me, it still bores me. If salt slows down the yeast im sure the 13 brix of wort will get it going again. Yeast is amazing. I have no doubt they can do the job in this beer. What are we talking about again???

3 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

We were talking about making beer.  Which is either an artistic science, or a scientific art.

You pick

I call it a making alcoholic tea. And it gives me a good reason to drink. Like right now! 

Stroomer420 likes this