Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KaijuBrew

Beer Fridge Reccomendation for LBK and bottles

15 posts in this topic

I am looking for a smallish fridge I could pick up at Lowes or Home Depot to put an LBK in for temperature controlled recipes and also a place to fridge condition bottled beer.  Family fridge is getting *too* small for my hobby, LOL!

 

Any recommendations?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice, Steve.  I just picked up this very fridge at Lowe's.  

 

Mostly I just want to chill conditioned beers without taking family fridge space but I may also use it for brewing using the LBK.

 

I brought my LBK to Lowe's to make sure it fit and got many questions from three  clerks about what home brewing was all about!

 

I told them making simple Mr. Beer recipes is like the "Easy Bake Oven" version of home brewing.  I suggested they keep on the look out for Mr. Beer Kits after the holiday.  The guy who helped me buy my fridge said he saw the kits at Bed Bath and Beyond and now he plans to go back and buy one!  Another brewer is born!

Steve-Oh, Shrike and MiniYoda like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Thanks for the advice, Steve.  I just picked up this very fridge at Lowe's.  

 

Mostly I just want to chill conditioned beers without taking family fridge space but I may also use it for brewing using the LBK.

 

I brought my LBK to Lowe's to make sure it fit and got many questions from three  clerks about what home brewing was all about!

 

I told them making simple Mr. Beer recipes is like the "Easy Bake Oven" version of home brewing.  I suggested they keep on the look out for Mr. Beer Kits after the holiday.  The guy who helped me buy my fridge said he saw the kits at Bed Bath and Beyond and now he plans to go back and buy one!  Another brewer is born!

I first saw this fridge online. So I went to Lowes with my tape measure in hand. They had several others on display but none of these on display or on the floor. They had 5 way up in the overhead boxed up. So they had to fork lift it down and cut open the box so I could measure the inside. It worked! 

KaijuBrew likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly what happened to me!  There was no display model out of this fridge.  I think because it lacks a freezer. I did not want a freezer!  

 

I brought the LBK to be sure it fit and sure enough, it did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

picked up two used fridges from hotel liquidators store by me for 40$ a piece... One for my room ,,, and one for the shop for making beer..just gotta order up my inkbird and temperature control here we come.... Amd now be able to do lagers is pretty cool to.. Wondering how the powerful patriot ale would be as a lager... Either way I'm stoked....😁

KaijuBrew and hotrod3539 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

picked up two used fridges from hotel liquidators store by me for 40$ a piece... One for my room ,,, and one for the shop for making beer..just gotta order up my inkbird and temperature control here we come.... Amd now be able to do lagers is pretty cool to.. Wondering how the powerful patriot ale would be as a lager... Either way I'm stoked....😁

I'm doing 2 lagers in mine right now. 

 

Stroomer420 and MRB Josh R like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooooo....I have decided to go buy an inkbird and use a spare fridge in my workshop. Second LBK to follow soon! Just wondering what kind of heater to use and where I can get one. Not seeing anything of the like on amazon. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dale hihn said:

Sooooo....I have decided to go buy an inkbird and use a spare fridge in my workshop. Second LBK to follow soon! Just wondering what kind of heater to use and where I can get one. Not seeing anything of the like on amazon. Thanks!

Empty paint can, cut hole in top, insert clip in style buld base. Careful, youll melt things real fast

 

that or a germination mat works great. Ive used both. The mat is prob safer

VIVOSUN Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat Warm Hydroponic Heating Pad 10" x 20.75" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7U259C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KltKybCYGQW5W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Empty paint can, cut hole in top, insert clip in style buld base. Careful, youll melt things real fast

 

that or a germination mat works great. Ive used both. The mat is prob safer

VIVOSUN Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat Warm Hydroponic Heating Pad 10" x 20.75" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7U259C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KltKybCYGQW5W

Thanks. Inkbird and this mat on the way. Now if I could be home to use all these new toys! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dale hihn said:

Thanks. Inkbird and this mat on the way. Now if I could be home to use all these new toys! 

I really like the mat for saisons. My 63 basement suddenly become a 73 degree fermenter producing wonderful yeast esters with saison yeast

dale hihn likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the two fridges I got have the freezers which just clip on the top,, those open freezers no doors on em,,,would it be ok to just unclip them they just pop right off,,,for space reasons I'm asking gonna have the inkbird hooked up to it so I don't think it'll be a problem,but figured I'd ask before I did it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve-Oh said:

I started with a seedling mat but it didn't heat up enough to do anything at all. So I sent it back and made the paint can heater. Maybe it was just the particular mat I ordered. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WV010/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing was useless. 

It should raise the temp of the fermentation chamber by 10 degrees. It works great in my kegerator. Sometimes i dont even think its working but then my temp gun tells me otherwise. I like that its low voltage its not sitting in my fridge getting up to hundreds of degrees like the paint can heater will. Ship me your mat. Then i can do two saisons at a time! Its safe enough to wrap right around the ale pail. The paint can heater usually works so well that its kicking my fridge on more to compensate for the quick rise in temp. Its only like a 8 watt bulb! Im kinda just defending myself right now. I have both and both have their uses. I just like one more than the other

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0