Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Balr14

Oktoberfest Lager questions

8 posts in this topic

I just got my first refill from Mr. Beer. I am ready to start my second brew, while the first one is carbonating. I would like to know if there are differences between how you brew a lager (my second brew) and an ale (my first brew). The kit came with instructions, the refill doesn't. The Oktoberfest refill came with the can of lager with the yeast under the cover and Brewmax LME softpack, which I assume you treat as a booster. So here are some questions:

Do I need any other ingredients?

Is the process (mix, ferment, cold crash and carbonate) the same as for the instructions I had for the ale?

I read that the yeast acts differently in a lager, the yeast stays on the bottom and ferments at cooler temperatures?

Does fermenting take longer?

From the instructions, American ale doesn't seem to require conditioning, Is this true of Oktoberfest, too? 

Yes, there is a difference, BUT the Oktoberfest is NOT A LAGER, it's an ALE.  

All beer requires conditioning.  You should follow the same directions as the first brew, in fact, follow these:

Ferment for 3 weeks at temp of 65 (wort temp, not air temp).

Carbonate and condition for 4 or more weeks at 70 or higher.

Refrigerate for 3 days only what you're ready to drink.

M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G

All Mr. Beer refills are ales unless specified otherwise (not in the name). For example, under the Seasonal Porters, you can buy the Baltic Porter or the Baltic Porter - Cold Fermenting.  That uses a lager yeast.  

2 minutes ago, Balr14 said:

It says lager on the can??? :huh:

It's "lager-style". While the oktoberfest style is technically a lager, not everyone is able to brew with lager yeasts at their recommended low temperatures so we include an ale yeast instead because it's easier to brew for beginners. But if you wish, you can always use a lager yeast instead and brew at lager temps. I recommend Saflager W-34/70.

MnMBeer likes this

I might have messed up my Oktoberfest! The temperature in my basement took a dive that I have not seen before and can't explain. So, my brew was fermenting at 52 degrees for over a week. I have since moved it to a little warmer area of the house (63 degrees). But the krausen and trub don't look like much compared to my first brew.

5 minutes ago, Balr14 said:

I might have messed up my Oktoberfest! The temperature in my basement took a dive that I have not seen before and can't explain. So, my brew was fermenting at 52 degrees for over a week. I have since moved it to a little warmer area of the house (63 degrees). But the krausen and trub don't look like much compared to my first brew.

Just let it ferment for an extra week or so and taste before bottling to be sure it tastes like flat beer and isn't still too sweet. The cold won't hurt the yeast, it will just slow it down. It should be fine.