Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonsai & Brew

Foreign Extra Stout

14 posts in this topic

I was going to include 'Smoked Cherrywood' in the name of this recipe, but I probably did not use enough to carry through all the roasted malt flavors.  Also, I've included some instructions but please note that they are not prescriptive -- if someone has other ideas on how to do a partial-mash-in-a-sack, I would appreciate any feedback!

TBD Foreign Extra Stout

Mr. Beer St. Patrick's Irish Stout HME

Muntons Dark DME, 1 lb.

Lyle's Black Treacle, 0.17 lb.

Malting Co. of Ireland Stout 2-row, 1 lb.

Chateau Special B, 0.15 lb.

Weyermann Roasted barley, 0.15 lb.

Simpsons Chocolate malt, 0.15 lb.

Briess Cherrywood Smoked malt, 0.12 lb.

Flaked barley, 0.15 lb.

Challenger hops (U.K.), 0.5 oz. for 15 min.

East Kent Goldings, 0.5 oz. for 5 min.

Danstar Nottingham!

Cold-steep milled Roasted barley + Chocolate malt overnight in 3 cups water.

Mash remaining grains @ 152 F. for 60 min.  'Batch sparge' in an equal vol. of 170 F. water for 10 min. Combine runnings then add DME and bring to boil.  Following the hot-break, start a 30 min. boil, hopping as indicated.

Add cold-steep, treacle and HME with a few minutes left of boil.

Place kettle in snowbank until cool, then proceed with normal Mr. Beer protocol.

OG 1.071

IBU 54

SRM 40++

ABV 6.9%

image.jpeg

AnthonyC and HoppySmile! like this

Bottled @ FG 1.015

Not your Grandmother's Guinness, Steve's Foreign Extra Stout combines time-tested Old World malts and grains with just the right amount of extract and adjunct.  Fermented with an English-sounding dry ale yeast, the resulting libation is a rich, hot and quirky Stout with notes of Kerosene and sun-dried galoshes, finishing with raised eyebrows and sporadic, but enthusiastic throat-clearing from your friends at your next St. Patty's Day get-to-together.  Enjoy!🍻

Shrike likes this

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I was going to include 'Smoked Cherrywood' in the name of this recipe, but I probably did not use enough to carry through all the roasted malt flavors.  Also, I've included some instructions but please note that they are not prescriptive -- if someone has other ideas on how to do a partial-mash-in-a-sack, I would appreciate any feedback!

TBD Foreign Extra Stout

Mr. Beer St. Patrick's Irish Stout HME

Muntons Dark DME, 1 lb.

Lyle's Black Treacle, 0.17 lb.

Malting Co. of Ireland Stout 2-row, 1 lb.

Chateau Special B, 0.15 lb.

Weyermann Roasted barley, 0.15 lb.

Simpsons Chocolate malt, 0.15 lb.

Briess Cherrywood Smoked malt, 0.12 lb.

Flaked barley, 0.15 lb.

Challenger hops (U.K.), 0.5 oz. for 15 min.

East Kent Goldings, 0.5 oz. for 5 min.

Danstar Nottingham!

Cold-steep milled Roasted barley + Chocolate malt overnight in 3 cups water.

Mash remaining grains @ 152 F. for 60 min.  'Batch sparge' in an equal vol. of 170 F. water for 10 min. Combine runnings then add DME and bring to boil.  Following the hot-break, start a 30 min. boil, hopping as indicated.

Add cold-steep, treacle and HME with a few minutes left of boil.

Place kettle in snowbank until cool, then proceed with normal Mr. Beer protocol.

OG 1.071

IBU 54

SRM 40++

ABV 6.9%

image.jpeg

i'll give you a dollar if you chug it right now!!!

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Left to fend for myself for supper, that can only mean one thing -- home brewed beer and homemade pizza!  Despite the lame recipe description above, this has to be the best stout I've brewed so far (sorry, Angry Bovine).🍕🍺🍺🍺

#coldsteepedStout

image.jpeg

i actually loved the description... made me lol which is rare.  if you could add 'delicate notes of overflowing ash tray'  and a smattering of  burnt toast i'm in!  my wife detects roast malts, especially the black malts as 'ash tray'.  wonder when she ever licked an ashtray before and why? oh well.

I do cold steeps of black malts too.. usually toss in some ground coffee also.  I used espresso once and darned if that stout didn't act like a tonic or speed!

Bonsai & Brew likes this

wonder what you would get if at week 2 you fed it D-180, and maybe also used lactose?  I do something similar to yours but use amber dme instead of dark (touch of caramelly goodness) ,  dark lme..  and on week 3 toss in rock and rye steeped chipotles.  love that cherrywood smoked malt too. 

Bonsai & Brew and NwMaltHead like this

On 3/16/2017 at 3:21 AM, zorak1066 said:

wonder what you would get if at week 2 you fed it D-180, and maybe also used lactose?  I do something similar to yours but use amber dme instead of dark (touch of caramelly goodness) ,  dark lme..  and on week 3 toss in rock and rye steeped chipotles.  love that cherrywood smoked malt too. 

Have you ever brewed a partial mash stout without an HME?

9 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

Have you ever brewed a partial mash stout without an HME?

Most partial mash recipes outside of Mr. Beer do not use HMEs, they use unhopped malt extract and call for a 60-90 minute hop boil to add the hop bitterness. Since hops are already in the HME, that step isn't required for our PM recipes. And if you're brewing with ONLY grain and no hopped or unhopped malt extract, then it's not a "partial mash", it's "all-grain".

14 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Most partial mash recipes outside of Mr. Beer do not use HMEs, they use unhopped malt extract and call for a 60-90 minute hop boil to add the hop bitterness. Since hops are already in the HME, that step isn't required for our PM recipes. And if you're brewing with ONLY grain and no hopped or unhopped malt extract, then it's not a "partial mash", it's "all-grain".

I know. I'm just looking for insight on stouts in general. I brew partial mash at the moment, usually with DMEs. Wanting to build a stout recipe. 

MRB Josh R likes this

5 minutes ago, NwMaltHead said:

I know. I'm just looking for insight on stouts in general. I brew partial mash at the moment, usually with DMEs. Wanting to build a stout recipe. 

There are a couple of ways to do this. You can either buy dark DME and supplement it with some grains like carapils, oats, 2-row, etc. Or you can use pale DME, and darken it up with the dark grains. The latter is the best method, in my opinion, because you get to choose which dark grains to showcase (chocolate, roasted barley, black malt, etc.) and how much to use. You can use dark DME with dark grains, but most stouts use a regular 2-row base, and using both may make it a bit too roasty or burnt tasting.

MichaelL, TonyKZ1 and NwMaltHead like this

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

There are a couple of ways to do this. You can either buy dark DME and supplement it with some grains like carapils, oats, 2-row, etc. Or you can use pale DME, and darken it up with the dark grains. The latter is the best method, in my opinion, because you get to choose which dark grains to showcase (chocolate, roasted barley, black malt, etc.) and how much to use. You can use dark DME with dark grains, but most stouts use a regular 2-row base, and using both may make it a bit too roasty or burnt tasting.

Thanks a lot @MRB Josh R I have some Amber to use up but I may cut it in half and use light DME as well. Add some British Chocolate malt, Maris otter and hint of oats for head with some cocoa nibs...

MRB Josh R and MichaelL like this

i did a ris using dark lme, amber lme... and did a cold steep of assorted dark and roast malts,  and a cold steep of quality coffee.  I also added d180 Belgian syrup after week one.   imo stouts should be roasty, dark and bitter unless a sweet or chocolate or special stout like a smoked chipotle porter.   my stouts tend to be ibu bombs.

stouts do well with flaked oats , roasted barley, chocolate malt, special roast, and if you want cocoa nibs work well too. I usually also toss in some dark crystal because I like the oatmeal raisin cookie notes it adds.   I used to do a full boil with dark lme exclusively but found I didn't like perceived astringent notes.  I now usually either do half dark in the main boil with the other half going in as a late addition...  or I do a full boil of half dark and half amber lme/dme  .  

re maris otter... I didn't care for it myself.  give me a good Belgian pale malt over it any day.  even 2 row.  I personally think MO gets way too much hype.

NwMaltHead and MRB Josh R like this

3 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

i did a ris using dark lme, amber lme... and did a cold steep of assorted dark and roast malts,  and a cold steep of quality coffee.  I also added d180 Belgian syrup after week one.   imo stouts should be roasty, dark and bitter unless a sweet or chocolate or special stout like a smoked chipotle porter.   my stouts tend to be ibu bombs.

stouts do well with flaked oats , roasted barley, chocolate malt, special roast, and if you want cocoa nibs work well too. I usually also toss in some dark crystal because I like the oatmeal raisin cookie notes it adds.   I used to do a full boil with dark lme exclusively but found I didn't like perceived astringent notes.  I now usually either do half dark in the main boil with the other half going in as a late addition...  or I do a full boil of half dark and half amber lme/dme  .  

re maris otter... I didn't care for it myself.  give me a good Belgian pale malt over it any day.  even 2 row.  I personally think MO gets way too much hype.

Thanks alot! I'll probably go through with a chocolate stout with Amber DME 

MRB Josh R likes this

12 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

It depends on the brand since Maris Otter is made by a few different malting companies. Crisp is better than the rest, but Baird's is a close 2nd (this is what I carry in my store). Then there's Gleneagles, Fawcett, Simpsons, and Muntons. It's all personal preference, but I really like MO (unless it's Muntons) and prefer to it regular 2 row in most of my beers unless I'm going for something on the lighter or hoppier side since MO can be a bit maltier and fuller-bodied than regular 2-row or pilsner malt.