Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gordon45

In search of Old Times

9 posts in this topic

I am new to brewing and the forum so forgive me if I do things wrong. After Vietnam I was stationed in Germany. I went to Oktoberfest and had the greatest beer and brats. Does anyone have an idea on how to brew a beer to recreate those days for the beer. Now if I could only find the brats.

Welcome. There are several MB styles that you may like, Oktoberfest is the most obvious. Look over the MB web site and see what appeals to you. Sorry, can't help you with the brats. Just a word on brewing, read all the advice to new brewers first. Ask questions. Have patience. 

Welcome, @Gordon45.  The Mr. Beer Oktoberfest recipe is a good one.  I also did a clone of Aventinus, a weizenbock @ 8%.  It should be in the Advanced Recipes section as I asked @MRB Josh R for some help with it.  An all MRB recipe, it came out very well, even hitting the 8% of the original.  When you're ready, give it a try.

I love beer brats! 

Uncooked Raw Brats - Look for a German deli around you. If not Johnsonville brats are in most grocery stores (at least here in TX) and will work.
Poke holes in the brats with a fork.
Place brats in a saucepan.

pour in enough beer to cover the brats.
Sprinkle in some Paprika and onion powder. 

Bring to a boil and hold for 5 minutes.

Throw the brats on a heated BBQ grill and brown thoroughly. 

I like to put the brat on a potato bun with mustard and sauerkraut. 
DEFINITELY serve with beer. 

C-ya, Creeps McLane and dale hihn like this