Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MRB Josh R

NEW PRODUCTS - Thomas Cooper Series!!

12 posts in this topic

A new line of Thomas Cooper Series 6 gallon refill packs are now available! 7 NEW refills and 1 updated refill (the Sparkling Ale)!!

Refill Pack (includes Enhancer) - http://us.diybeer.com/refills/thomas-coopers-selection-refills

HME Cans - http://us.diybeer.com/brew-cans/thomas-coopers-series

Cheers! :D

Been wanting to try some of those and glad to see they're finally available on this side of the pond.

MRB Josh R likes this

I have been very pleased with the prior  refill cans. I think they actually taste better than some Mr Beer cans when made to Cooper's suggested recipe even though I guess they are made in the same factory.

I made the original original series Dark Ale, the Thos Cooper Selection Pilsener and the Australian Bitter. I did dry hop the Pilsener with Saaz and it was really authentic tasting.

I still have a bunch of the Cooper's cans left to brew that I got on sale so it will be while before I explore the new ones - figuring for me, one of these is a month's brewing (3 LBKs).

Dark Ale 2
Bitter
Traditional Draft
Lager
IPA
Pilsener
Sparkling Ale

Looks good, but it looks like all of the cans recommend using some dry malt with them.  @Nickfixit, how are you brewing them?  Straight up or with DME?

52 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

was wondering how much difference between the old sparkling ale, and the inn keeper's daughter sparkling ale?

It's the same. It just has updated packaging. 

HoppySmile! likes this

15 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

It's the same. It just has updated packaging. 

also I might add, the review comment on your new product Ukeg 128, the guy said it was cheaper on amazon is dead wrong. what price you have is being sold at the same everywhere on the internet. i'm thinking he was thinking it was the Ukeg 64. and to add to that, when my tax check arrives, i'm getting your 128!!!

19 hours ago, C-ya said:

Looks good, but it looks like all of the cans recommend using some dry malt with them.  @Nickfixit, how are you brewing them?  Straight up or with DME?

I make them as they recommend - and I try other enhancement experiments - as they make 3 LBKs

If you make them straight up at 6 gal dilution they will be 2.5% ABV. Some people will just add less water, and they get more flavor and higher ABV. I use the 6 gal dilution and their recommended additions thatmay be DME or DME,Brew enhancer dextrose. Where they call for brew enhancer or dextrose  I used Mr Beer Booster instead - figuring the appropriate amount based on the Booster % of fermentables.

But I had to go through the calculations to get the appropriate amounts.  Coopers have recipes on their website.

There is also good activity on the Australian site and forums (using same HMEs)

Pilsener e.g. I used 3 LBKs

1/3 can HME + 8 oz pils malt DME + 6 oz booster  per LBK and 0.5 oz Saaz dry hop (hop not in recipe)   --> 4-4.5%

I upped the DME by 8 oz for a "Deluxe" version on another LBK  --> 5-5.5%

I added 1 lb of Amber DME to the 3rd - on top of the standard recipe. --> 6-6.5%

Dark Ale

1/3 coopers can + 1 pack booster (= basic Cooper's recipe) makes a nice beer like UK "Mild Ale"   - 3.5%

I made some other variants in 2 other LBKs but the standard is the best.

Australian Bitter

Coopers Australian Bitter #1  1/3 HME + 1 lb light DME  --> 4-4.5%  - a very nice beer.

I made some other variants in 2 other LBKs but the standard is the best.

MiniYoda and HoppySmile! like this

Thanks for the info.  I figured the can of HME alone would make a pretty weak brew at 6 gallons.  Are you dividing the HME and making it one LBK at a time or are you making it in one batch and dividing it between the LBKs?  That's how I do a 5 gal batch - mix it all up in one pot, cool it, add it evenly to the LBKs, then top off.

I wouldn't mind trying their Pale, APA, and Amber.

2 hours ago, C-ya said:

Thanks for the info.  I figured the can of HME alone would make a pretty weak brew at 6 gallons.  Are you dividing the HME and making it one LBK at a time or are you making it in one batch and dividing it between the LBKs?  That's how I do a 5 gal batch - mix it all up in one pot, cool it, add it evenly to the LBKs, then top off.

I wouldn't mind trying their Pale, APA, and Amber.

Yes, for the HME, I dilute it all at once so I can divide it easily. You don't have to boil it, I just boil a bit of water and add all the HME then divide it up into the 3 LBKs.

I do this last after I have dissolved any DME/booster or other per LBK ingredients (so I can tailor each LBK additions if I want - in malt or hops) and put them in the LBKs on top of the initial gal of cold water.

I do not translate the original recipes exactly. I approximate - e.g. it might say for 6 gal use the HME and 1.5 Kg of DME. I will say OK that is 0.5kg DME per LBK,  or 17.6 oz. I might use 1 lb DME as I prefer to use increments of pounds if I can or half pounds.

Cooper's in AU seem to prefer not to boil if possible  and you might try this is using a 6 gal fermenter.

Recipes go like this  and use one of the 3 summarized methods.  They may have updated since I saw this but this will give you the idea.

BAVARIAN PILSNER

A beautiful beer with medium malt characteristics and the

unmistakable aroma and flavour of Saaz hops.

1 can of Coopers Lager or Draught

500g Sugar, Glucose or Dextrose --> 17.6 oz  (use booster at 80% fermentables)--> 22 oz

300g Light Dry Malt Extract    --> 10.6 oz

20g Saaz Hop Pellets           --> 0.7 oz

Brewing Method:#2

So for 1 LBK, to make it easy I would do, Sugar = 6 oz - say 8 oz Booster, DME = 3.4 oz - say 4 oz DME, Hops = say .25 oz And I have limited packets with odd bits left and I think it is close enough.

COOPERS HOMEBREW UNLIMITED

BREWING METHODS

You will need to make slight changes to the way you make your beer when using these recipes.

In most cases, all you need to do is add a couple of simple steps when you are preparing the

beer  wort. After that you continue making the beer in the usual way.

METHOD #1

1.      Mix all the ingredients together in the fermenter with 3 – 4 litres of hot water.

2.      Add cold water up to 23 litre mark and stir well.

3.      When the temperature is below 30 deg.C. add the yeast and make your beer in the usual way.

METHOD #2

1.      Gently boil the hop pellets in 1 litre of water for 10 minutes.

2.      Mix the boiled hops and water with other ingredients in the fermenter together with 2 – 3 litres

of hot water.

3.      Add cold water up to the 23 litre mark and stir well.

4.      When the temperature is below 30 deg.C. add the yeast and make your beer the usual way.

METHOD #3

1.        Mix the cracked grains with about 1 litre of water and bring to the boil.

2.        Boil gently for 20 minutes then add the hop pellets and turn the heat off at the same time. Let

the hot mixture stand for about 10 minutes.

3.        Pour the hot mixture through a fine strainer into the fermenter. Gently pour some hot water through

the collected grain to rinse all the goodness into the fermenter.

4.        Add the other ingredients to the fermenter plus some hot water if necessary and mix thoroughly.

5.        Add cold water up to the 23 litre mark and stir well.

6.        When the temperature is below 30 deg.C. add the yeast and make your beer the usual way.

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

Yes, for the HME, I dilute it all at once so I can divide it easily. You don't have to boil it, I just boil a bit of water and add all the HME then divide it up into the 3 LBKs.

I do this last after I have dissolved any DME/booster or other per LBK ingredients (so I can tailor each LBK additions if I want - in malt or hops) and put them in the LBKs on top of the initial gal of cold water.

I do not translate the original recipes exactly. I approximate - e.g. it might say for 6 gal use the HME and 1.5 Kg of DME. I will say OK that is 0.5kg DME per LBK,  or 17.6 oz. I might use 1 lb DME as I prefer to use increments of pounds if I can or half pounds.

Thanks for the example.  That makes sense seeing it written out.  I'm like you - I would probably experiment with each LBK.