ajolin13

Awesome deal

43 posts in this topic

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8MRANX/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_pa2cl8KJy93Tn

Just got this delivered today. Amazing deal considering it comes with a 6gal refill and the fermenter. It also came with a bottle capper and bottling wand. Considering that fermenter is typically $80 by itself I figured for $10 more it was an absolute steal.  It doesn't state the actual recipe anywhere so here's what it came with. 

2 Bewitched amber HME

3 Smooth DME

3 Goldings hop packets

Any ideas on what recipe this is? 

sorry folks.......coming out of hibernation.....briefly

I bought this.  I thought it was a great deal.  In all honesty, it really was a great deal.  Individually, the parts you get are more than the whole package, and if you want to cap bottles, you can't go wrong.  If you want to cap glass bottles instead of the plastic PETs, and want to brew 6gal at a time, it's very worth it

I didn't see it as a recipe on Mr. B's site, so just to keep track of it I called it "Tabatha" (if you don't know....watch old school TV).  It's conditioning for about another week and a half, then I'll sample it.  Made 45 glass bottles, conditioning at 65-67...if it came out well, should make a nice late spring brew.  The ONLY problem I might have had was temp control while fermenting.  Regardless, Tabatha should be a nice blonde to enjoy.

For the record, considering the names, I thought it was slightly humorous.  Perhaps.......slightly.

adoYiniM.  Out            Back to.............hibernating

hotrod3539 and HoppySmile! like this

adoYiniM.....in.....briefly.

Just to note there are not bottles in the kit.  You have to either buy the bottles from Mr. Beer, or drink about 46 bottles of beer before bottling time.  AND wash them, clean them, rinse and sanitize them.  And PLEASE don't ask......the commercial bottles that are screw-on type (miller lite, bud lite, coors lite, etc) *WON'T WORK*.  You need pop-off bottles like Sam Adams, or Angry Orchard, or any other *brown glass* bottles that are *pop off*.  Rick Beer can confirm, but twist top bottles don't cap well, and anything less than brown (Hispanic no Clear, German no green, Canadian no blue) is a very..... very...not good idea.  And if you look at Rick Beer's tag line, you can find great ideas on how to spend a weekend cleaning glass bottles.

Just a "heads up"

iniModaY..........out again

P.S.  RickBeer.....Salute

HoppySmile! and hotrod3539 like this

I decided to cap glass bottles instead of using the PET plastic ones, for my second brew. I bought the capper and caps from Mr Beer and tried capping a few bottles, just for practice. You can cap the screw-on bottles, but it is very difficult to get the cap aligned just right and you will need pliers to tighten them enough so they don't leak. Odds are good you will waste a lot of caps and some beer. 

MiniYoda likes this

capping screw tops is BAD!  look real close at the top of the bottle. it is super thin.  screw tops tend to fracture when you try capping them.  I had 3 crack and glass fall into the bottle requiring dumping because I forgot to weed out the screw tops.  this is made worse with the wing type capper.

I saw a beer recall if you reuse sierra Nevada bottles.  I think they said that the bottles in boxes packed from dec-jan had SOME reported failings involving glass falling off into the bottle.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/01/23/sierra-nevada-recalls-8-beers-because-a-bottle-flaw-could-hurt-drinkers/?utm_term=.a157a870a7b7

10 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

I recycle adoYiniM.....in.....briefly.

Just to note there are not bottles in the kit.  You have to either buy the bottles from Mr. Beer, or drink about 46 bottles of beer before bottling time.  AND wash them, clean them, rinse and sanitize them.  And PLEASE don't ask......the commercial bottles that are screw-on type (miller lite, bud lite, coors lite, etc) *WON'T WORK*.  You need pop-off bottles like Sam Adams, or Angry Orchard, or any other *brown glass* bottles that are *pop off*.  Rick Beer can confirm, but twist top bottles don't cap well, and anything less than brown (Hispanic no Clear, German no green, Canadian no blue) is a very..... very...not good idea.  And if you look at Rick Beer's tag line, you can find great ideas on how to spend a weekend cleaning glass bottles.

Just a "heads up"

iniModaY..........out again

P.S.  RickBeer.....Salute

I really like using the boulevard Ipa and Tank 7 bottles, they're much darker, and are thicker bottles I recycle these bottles as much as I can, plus the bonus is if you get drunk and throw them against the wall, they will not Break!!

AnthonyC likes this

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I really like using the boulevard Ipa and Tank 7 bottles, they're much darker, and are thicker bottles I recycle these bottles as much as I can, plus the bonus is if you get drunk and throw them against the wall, they will not Break!!

That's what I like about you, Hoppy!  Every cloud has a silver lining!  ;)

Bonsai & Brew and HoppySmile! like this

3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

That's what I like about you, Hoppy!  Every cloud has a silver lining!  ;)

I alway's thot it was a grey lining?  cool!

I've never tried to reuse screw top caps for 3 reasons:

#1 I really don't drink any commercial beers that use them.

#2 I'm just afraid of getting 15-40 bottles of flat beer (wasting money).

#3 I'm afraid of the dreaded Rickbeer "I told you so!"  😉

Brian N. likes this

Bewitched Amber Ale with the two LME in 6 gallons should be great. My guess around 4% alcohol, could be a little less. As far as screw top bottles, why risk flat beer and frustration trying to cap them? And Rickbeer will have a big "I told you so!"

ajolin13 and RickBeer like this

7 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

screwed on beers aren't horrible.  They are okay after you had 3-4 good beers and a couple shots of bourbon.

And the glass recycles.

M.Y.

Wait.........I thought I put myself in self imposed moratorium

Dont quote me on this but I'm pretty sure point brewery, who makes the pistachio nut brown is a twist cap

i believe sprecher who makes the special amber and bavarian lager are twist off. 

Im sure i could name a few more. Basically every once in awhile i pry off a good craft beer only to find out it was a twist off anyway. Thats usually after searching for an opener for 10 minutes 

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Dont quote me on this but I'm pretty sure point brewery, who makes the pistachio nut brown is a twist cap

i believe sprecher who makes the special amber and bavarian lager are twist off. 

Im sure i could name a few more. Basically every once in awhile i pry off a good craft beer only to find out it was a twist off anyway. Thats usually after searching for an opener for 10 minutes 

You are correct on both instances Creeps. I really dig the pistachio nut brown ale

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:20 AM, zorak1066 said:

capping screw tops is BAD!  look real close at the top of the bottle. it is super thin.  screw tops tend to fracture when you try capping them.  I had 3 crack and glass fall into the bottle requiring dumping because I forgot to weed out the screw tops.  this is made worse with the wing type capper.

I saw a beer recall if you reuse sierra Nevada bottles.  I think they said that the bottles in boxes packed from dec-jan had SOME reported failings involving glass falling off into the bottle.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/01/23/sierra-nevada-recalls-8-beers-because-a-bottle-flaw-could-hurt-drinkers/?utm_term=.a157a870a7b7

Son of a.... that's about 3/4 of my bottles that I have.  Although I haven't had any issues with cracks.  I've never actually broken a bottle yet when capping *knock on wood*.  I think I should be good for now.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, bocklover said:

I've personally reused many twist top bottles, just sanitized the original caps and tighten'd with pliers. Never had a problem. just dont like the pet bottles they wont stand up in any of my fridges so I wont use them. and I have like 40 of them from all the kits I've purchased. If some body wants to make me an offer I'd gladly part ways with them, especially since I keg almost everything I brew now.

Sell them on Craigslist.  That's what I did.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:58 AM, AnthonyC said:

I really think #3 is the MAIN reason, right? :lol:

Received my kit today.... one small problem..... its missing a pack of DME smooth and the muslin bag :(

EDIT:: Called MRB Customer Service.. Talked with a Very nice guy Named Josh (could it be one of our very own moderators?) and he is shipping the missing items! No muss no fuss! THIS is why i will always be a MRB customer.

Edited by hotrod3539
Updated information