bocklover

Lagering/Kegging Question

5 posts in this topic

I have a batch of euro bock I brewed a while back, it never made it to expected final gravity. after talking to manufacturer I was told that it was fine and had too many unfermentables in it.

It has been lagering in a keg with an airlock lid for a while and I'm ready to carbonate now. should I transfer to another keg or just swap out the lid and hit it with gas? 

This is my first time lagering in a keg and not in acarboy.

36 minutes ago, bocklover said:

I have a batch of euro bock I brewed a while back, it never made it to expected final gravity. after talking to manufacturer I was told that it was fine and had too many unfermentables in it.

It has been lagering in a keg with an airlock lid for a while and I'm ready to carbonate now. should I transfer to another keg or just swap out the lid and hit it with gas? 

This is my first time lagering in a keg and not in acarboy.

My lagers generally dont have much yeast in the secondary so ill assume yours dont either. Ummm... man.... id probably just carb in that keg (i just erased transfer it). Youll prob get some yeast in the first few pours but not much. Thats what they make keg caps with an airlock hole on it for right? So you can secondary in a keg. Ive never done that before so this is just my uneducated opinion.

efdbrian likes this

I'll second what @Creeps McLane said. Switch out the lids and carb it up. Yes you will probably get some sediment on the first pint or two, but any time you transfer from one vessel to another you risk oxygen exposure. In this scenario, I don't see a need to do that. That being said, once you pressurize it, try to pull a sample. If there happens to be a lot of sediment at the bottom of the keg, there is a possibility that it could clog the dip tube. If that were to happen, then you might have to rack it to another keg. If it were me, that would be the only time that I would in this case.

Creeps McLane likes this

Thats what I'm thinking too. The kit was outdated I found out after I brewed, so thinking the yeast has done all it was going to do before I transferred to keg for secondary/lager mode. When I took a sample a week ago it was exactly the same SG as when transferred, so not thinking there will be much on the bottom.

Thanks for the replies!

efdbrian likes this