Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnthonyC

Flaked Corn

28 posts in this topic

When you add flaked corn to a recipe do you need to add another grain to make it effective?...  In the way that flaked oats need 2-row.  Thanks in advance.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AC,

 

Flaked Corn, Wheat, Oats etc don't have the enzymes needed to convert the starches to sugar.  If you are brewing an all grain batch there will be plenty of enzymes in the base grain you use.  If you are doing a partial mash or steeping grains add an equal amount of 2 row or 6 row to convert the sugars.  If you don't the starches will make your beer very cloudy and unstable.

 

Dawg

MRB Josh R and AnthonyC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stroom, do you know which grain (malt) starts the reaction?  Which one is essential?  I think that I worded the original question in a confusing way.  I know that I can't use corn alone.  I was just wondering if there is a specific grain that kicks off the enzymatic reaction thus making the flaked corn "useful".  I don't want it to be as useless as using flaked oats without 2-row. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

AC,

 

Flaked Corn, Wheat, Oats etc don't have the enzymes needed to convert the starches to sugar.  If you are brewing an all grain batch there will be plenty of enzymes in the base grain you use.  If you are doing a partial mash or steeping grains add an equal amount of 2 row or 6 row to convert the sugars.  If you don't the starches will make your beer very cloudy and unstable.

 

Dawg

BINGO!  Thanks, Dawg!  Sorry @Stroomer420... that was my fault.  I was having trouble wording my original question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i use corn flakes, not the kelloggs brand, mainly the off brands you find at the dollar store, plus they go great with milk too!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HoppySmile! said:

i use corn flakes, not the kelloggs brand, mainly the off brands you find at the dollar store, plus they go great with milk too!!

I knew that one was coming!  ;)

frosted-flakes-of-corn.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no prob... Yea two row six row pilsen malt...I think any base malt as long as its at least equal parts .... Still learning here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AnthonyC said:

I knew that one was coming!  ;)

frosted-flakes-of-corn.jpg

I got Josh B on that when they first introduced corn flakes ( maize) it was pretty funny, but the funniest part was, the maise really did look like corn flakes out of a cereal box

 

AnthonyC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

i use corn flakes, not the kelloggs brand, mainly the off brands you find at the dollar store, plus they go great with milk too!!

Can Frosted Flakes be substituted for them corn flakes? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good timing on this question as I was using QBrew to work up a CAL recipe.  So if I get this straight, using two ounces of flaked corn would be fine with four ounces of Vienna?  There'll be plenty of enzymes for the corn starch?  Or is 2- or 6-row needed for getting the enzymatic process rolling?

ETA:  I knew I'd seen the answer on here before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a quick article on Diastatic power that is needed to convert the starches to sugar.  The higher the DP the more conversion power the grain has.

 

http://www.eckraus.com/blog/what-is-diastatic-power-definition-chart

 

Also, Corn Flakes can be used for flaked corn.  The preservatives may have a detrimental effect on your fermentation but that would depend on how large of a percentage your grist is Corn Flakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Stroom, do you know which grain (malt) starts the reaction?  Which one is essential?  I think that I worded the original question in a confusing way.  I know that I can't use corn alone.  I was just wondering if there is a specific grain that kicks off the enzymatic reaction thus making the flaked corn "useful".  I don't want it to be as useless as using flaked oats without 2-row. 

 

6-row is the best for this purpose - even better than 2-row (malted wheat is great, too), but in our recipes any basic 2-row pale malt will do (pilsen is typically a little lower in enzymes than regular 2-row). There is the possibility of us bringing in some 6-row and selling it with the flaked malts already mixed in. 6-row is the best for diastatic power, but it is much lower quality in terms of flavor contribution, but this can be a good thing if you're trying to bring out the flavors of certain flaked grains, such as rye.

Bonsai & Brew and Stroomer420 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

6-row is the best for this purpose - even better than 2-row (malted wheat is great, too), but in our recipes any basic 2-row pale malt will do (pilsen is typically a little lower in enzymes than regular 2-row). There is the possibility of us bringing in some 6-row and selling it with the flaked malts already mixed in. 6-row is the best for diastatic power, but it is much lower quality in terms of flavor contribution, but this can be a good thing if you're trying to bring out the flavors of certain flaked grains, such as rye.

So if a recipe is calling for a pound of 2-row and a pound of flaked corn, could you use 1/2lb of 2-row & 1/2lb of 6-row with the pound of flaked corn? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

So if a recipe is calling for a pound of 2-row and a pound of flaked corn, could you use 1/2lb of 2-row & 1/2lb of 6-row with the pound of flaked corn? 

 

Sure, if you wish. 6-row tends to be cheaper, too. Here's a great article from the AHA on the differences between the 2 grains: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/zymurgy/zymurgy-extra-2-row-vs-6-row-barley/

AnthonyC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the recipe that I bought does not have flaked corn in it (Cream Ale), how much flaked corn should I add to a 5g recipe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Since the recipe that I bought does not have flaked corn in it (Cream Ale), how much flaked corn should I add to a 5g recipe? 

 

I just made a Cream Ale and used between 12-16 oz.  I may have gotten a little carried away, but had a total of 4 pounds of grains in that recipe with extract. Of course I made sure to use some 2-row as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

 

I just made a Cream Ale and used between 12-16 oz.  I may have gotten a little carried away, but had a total of 4 pounds of grains in that recipe with extract. Of course I made sure to use some 2-row as well.

I ordered one pound of flaked corn and a pound of 6-row.  I am planning on using it all, but just wanted to make sure that I don't end up with a "can of creamed corn" ale. 

Bach's Brews likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AC,

 

What is the complete grain bill for your recipe?  How many gallons?  What temperature and how long are you going to mash?

 

Dawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

AC,

 

What is the complete grain bill for your recipe?  How many gallons?  What temperature and how long are you going to mash?

 

Dawg

Only required grains are 8oz of Carapils steeped at 160 for 20mins.  It is a five gallon recipe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it is an extract batch.  You will be fine since it is 5 gallons, I have an All Grain 5 gallon recipe that calls for 2.5# of flaked corn.  It won't finish as dry as an All Grain batch but it will be OK with a pound of each added.  You could probably omit the Carapils unless you already have them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

So it is an extract batch.  You will be fine since it is 5 gallons, I have an All Grain 5 gallon recipe that calls for 2.5# of flaked corn.  It won't finish as dry as an All Grain batch but it will be OK with a pound of each added.  You could probably omit the Carapils unless you already have them.

 

I was only going to use them b/c they are coming in with the recipe kit.  Yes, this is extract; no all grain until spring when I can take the beer making outside.  Would you recommend more of the flaked corn/6-row?  I only ask b/c you said it will be "OK".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0