Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Papa DS

Taste watery

20 posts in this topic

Our first batch. Did the American Ale. 3 weeks in keg. 3 weeks in bottles. First beer taste watery. Any ideas?

MiniYoda likes this

It makes a 3.1% beer, unless you added a packet of booster.

Brew a Deluxe recipe next and go 3 weeks at 65 and then 4 weeks in bottles at 70 or higher.

Just Look At Me!!! I started this almost 2 years ago and now i'm a full blown falling down drunk and lovng it! don't give up hope! soon you an be falling down drunk too! as your experience and knowledge increases so will your beer! these guys on this forum all started in the same spot as you, just hear their sermons, and you will see the light!! just as long they're not double lights, or lights in pairs bcuz I got hit by a car once and I didn't see just a light I saw several

efdbrian and Bach's Brews like this

On 2/5/2017 at 4:11 AM, HoppySmile! said:

Just Look At Me!!! I started this almost 2 years ago and now i'm a full blown falling down drunk and lovng it! don't give up hope! soon you an be falling down drunk too! as your experience and knowledge increases so will your beer! these guys on this forum all started in the same spot as you, just hear their sermons, and you will see the light!! just as long they're not double lights, or lights in pairs bcuz I got hit by a car once and I didn't see just a light I saw several

Ha ha ha!!!

My hero! :)

HoppySmile! likes this

American Ale was the weakest Mr. Beer refill I've had.  Adding hops would give it more flavor next time.

Kevin

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

1st recipe -- YOU MADE BEER!

2nd recipe -- YOU MADE GOOD BEER!

Hang in there, Papa DS!  You'll be fine!  👍🏽😀

3rd recipe  - you have lots of trouble because all your friends want to move in with you.

AnthonyC and DrMJG like this

13 hours ago, Kevin Caffrey said:

American Ale was the weakest Mr. Beer refill I've had.  Adding hops would give it more flavor next time.

Kevin

Yep.  Add an LME and some hops and it makes a tasty brew.

AnthonyC likes this

I keep a journal of all my brews and I remember after five weeks in the bottle that noting that the beer tasted thin.  However, after three more weeks it changed dramatically and became a full flavored beer with a nice hop profile.  Don't give up on it.  Three weeks conditioning is not nearly enough time.  Just set your bottles back and try another one in about a month.  

AnthonyC likes this

Adding more malt as LME or DME will greatly improve the standard refills, even if you skip adding more hops.

AnthonyC likes this

On 2/8/2017 at 8:00 PM, Brian N. said:

Adding more malt as LME or DME will greatly improve the standard refills, even if you skip adding more hops.

I'm a living witness to this statement!

Making a record of everything you do is the best way to not repeat errors .  When I finished my first beer, CAL, I thought it was only "ok" after 3 weeks and I found out through comments and my own experience that 4 weeks is the first time you drink it and it gets better after every week!  If the body is too thin LME or DME helps as does booster, but it will affect your ABV.  My first was ok, second will be much better and my third is on course to be very good.  Hang in there and ask questions, I found most here are wanting to help you make outstanding beer!

11 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

OP has not been back since Feb 9th...

Richard, you were the last one to respond directly to him.  I'm sensing a pattern here.  

Seriously, man...  When are you gonna invite me to your house?  I'll pick up Hoppy on the way & we'll stay for a bit...  week, month, whatever!  I'll call ya Uncle Ricky or maybe even dad!  

Big Sarge and hotrod3539 like this

4 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

You're not going to get more body by waiting.

Maybe a little more flavor though?

I have to admit I've been leaning into the sassy IPAs both at home and when out for dinner, maybe the Oktoberfest is fine just different for me.

Since I got into this hobby I have been trying to hit a different micro brewery every weekend for a new taste, it gives me goals.   As you well know there has been an explosion of brewers in Michigan over the last few years so there are plenty of little destination putts to check out these days. Most of the time we take the bike so I regulate myself to one and that's usually with a meal.

AnthonyC likes this