Hummer

US-05 yeast

6 posts in this topic

I'm gonna brew the watermelon wheat beer, it came with the us-05 yeast pack to use rather then then the one under the lid. After reading the pack of us-50 it's dosage size says between 20 and 30 liters which is about 5 to 7.9 gallons. So should I use half the package?

HoppySmile! likes this

You could, but you have nothing to use the rest on, plus having an open packet leaves a risk of infection.  Use the entire packet, put the one under the lid in the frig in a ziplock bag for future use.

HoppySmile! likes this

Ok thanks. I didn't know if that would mess it up if I put in twice as much yeast as my batch size.  

It's a good question. In fact, putting in significantly more yeast than needed can mess up your beer, because the yeast gets lazy.  But a packet isn't too much.  I do split a packet when I make 5 gallons, pitching 1/2 into each LBK filled with 2.5 gallons of wort.  That's using it right away.

I've made several beer recipes from Mr. Beer that call for a different yeast.  I used the whole packet each time with no bad results.  Like @RickBeer does, if I'm brewing a double batch, I'll just split the yeast between the two LBKs.

HoppySmile! likes this

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, Hummer said:

I'm gonna brew the watermelon wheat beer, it came with the us-05 yeast pack to use rather then then the one under the lid. After reading the pack of us-50 it's dosage size says between 20 and 30 liters which is about 5 to 7.9 gallons. So should I use half the package?

the US-05 is some of the most consistent yeast I've used, it's the workhorse if you call it, and never lets you down

kedogn and Bonsai & Brew like this