Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chisels1

Brewing and Temperature

6 posts in this topic

Well this is my first attempt at Brewing. My son bought me the Mr. Beer LBK and I've started with the American Ale. This is Day 4 and the krausen is about 1/2 inch thick and nice and cloudy almost looks like fine particles or tiny bubbles suspended below. Anyway the outside temp is 71/72 any reason to be concerned?

Yes, but too late now as peak fermentation happened already.  Room temp of 72 means peak wort temp of 78 - 80 is a bit warm.  Make sure to go 3 full weeks fermenting.  Make sure you aren't opening the lid to look inside.

chisels1 likes this

Thanks RickBeer,  I leave the keg alone just use a flashlight to see what's happening. Is going to 3 weeks due to the warmer temp or the kind of beer?

Welcome to the forums, chisels.  Rick will be able to better elaborate on your question, but essentially all Mr. Beer recipes need to ferment for 3wks.  

3 weeks is a guideline. not a rule.  even with a vigorous fermentation, the extra time allows the yeast to clean up potentially off flavored byproducts.  it also helps those who do not own a hydrometer to be fairly sure fermentation is completely done.  bottling before the yeast are done can make bottle bombs.

since your temp was a little high the yeast likely got stressed in the critical first few days of the ferment.  stressed yeast produce off flavors. ale yeast tends to produce cidery flavors when warm or hot.  it is a chemical compound acetaldehyde.  giving the ferment 3 weeks will let the yeast clean up much of this  but you still may taste green apples.

do not expect great beer your first few times. you will make mistakes. learn from them. think of your first beer as your first child. sometimes kids don't come out perfect but you still love them right?   so... even if it comes out tasting like watery apple cider.. enjoy. you made beer. your next will be better.

next beer try for temperature control.  put the LBK in a cooler.  freeze plastic bottles with water.  put a digital aquarium thermometer in the cooler.  put in one ice bottle. close the lid and watch the temperature inside the cooler.  ale yeast like to be around 60-66f. . . usually. if your cooler temp is 64f, the inside lbk  temp will be around 70..maybe 74f during peak fermentation. this is fine.

monitor and watch how adding different amounts of ice impact temp. . . how long does the cooling last? count on swapping out an ice bottle every 12 hours. you will have some minor fluctuations but it will be fine.  know your yeast. some yeast like hot temps. (saison yeast).  different yeast make different flavors at different temps.

have fun... and welcome. 

MichaelL, AnthonyC, C-ya and 5 others like this