AnthonyC

Maple Bacon Porter

26 posts in this topic

About a year ago I tried a Bacon Porter at a local brewery and really liked its uniqueness.  I was going to try to imitate this one in the spring when I make the switch to all grain, but I'm going to give it a shot using a partial mash.  

 

6lbs Golden Light LME

2.5lbs of Cherrywood Smoked Malt

8oz of Caramel 80L

8oz of Dark Chocolate Malt

1tsp Irish Moss

Total of 2.5oz of Mount Hood Hops

3 Cups of B Grade Maple Syrup

WLP039 Nottingham Yeast

For the Bacon -- I've read that you can use a pound of Bacon.  Cook it, drain it, blot off the fat, hop sack it & add to the secondary for the final 5 days.  

 

I'm thinking 3 in the primary and 4 in the secondary.  

 

HoppySmile! and dale hihn like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

About a year ago I tried a Bacon Porter at a local brewery and really liked its uniqueness.  I was going to try to imitate this one in the spring when I make the switch to all grain, but I'm going to give it a shot using a partial mash.  

 

6lbs Golden Light LME

2.5lbs of Cherrywood Smoked Malt

8oz of Caramel 80L

8oz of Dark Chocolate Malt

1tsp Irish Moss

Total of 2.5oz of Mount Hood Hops

3 Cups of B Grade Maple Syrup

WLP039 Nottingham Yeast

For the Bacon -- I've read that you can use a pound of Bacon.  Cook it, drain it, blot off the fat, hop sack it & add to the secondary for the final 5 days.  

 

I'm thinking 3 in the primary and 4 in the secondary.  

 

Peanut Butter & Bacon Stout!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Peanut Butter & Bacon Stout!!!

I dunno, BB.  For me, that may be pushing it a bit.  My biggest concern regarding my recipe is time.  I wonder if I should go longer in the secondary?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I dunno, BB.  For me, that may be pushing it a bit.  My biggest concern regarding my recipe is time.  I wonder if I should go longer in the secondary?  

I thought so too until I Yahoo'd it -- it's already been done.  Back to bacon though, as I prepared my peanut butter + bacon sandwich for my lunch today, I used the pre-cooked bacon that is so handy for camping, etc.  I wonder if that would work better than 'real' bacon in your Porter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AnthonyC, how was the head retention on the one from the brewery? While I love bacon, I see a lot of people talking about how much the grease in the bacon kills the head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, efdbrian said:

@AnthonyC, how was the head retention on the one from the brewery? While I love bacon, I see a lot of people talking about how much the grease in the bacon kills the head.

 

Baking it on a cookie sheet in the oven until dry (but not burnt) will help reduce the fat. You can also use bacon bits (the real ones, not the fake stuff) with some success as they have had most of the grease removed for packaging.

 

I'll have to post my Razorback Maple Bacon Stout recipe at some point...

Big Sarge, MichaelL and efdbrian like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Baking it on a cookie sheet in the oven until dry (but not burnt) will help reduce the fat. You can also use bacon bits (the real ones, not the fake stuff) with some success as they have had most of the grease removed for packaging.

 

I'll have to post my Razorback Maple Bacon Stout recipe at some point...

I was thinking about putting one of those raised racks over a cookie sheet and baking it that way.  The idea was to get most of the grease to be drawn out and the bacon not to cook in its own fat.  Feedback?

MRB Josh R likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, efdbrian said:

@AnthonyC, how was the head retention on the one from the brewery? While I love bacon, I see a lot of people talking about how much the grease in the bacon kills the head.

Honestly Brian, I don't remember.  It was perhaps over a year ago that I had it.  I'm going to guess that it was pretty good because I'm not a fan of flat or "headless" beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

I was thinking about putting one of those raised racks over a cookie sheet and baking it that way.  The idea was to get most of the grease to be drawn out and the bacon not to cook in its own fat.  Feedback?

 

That works, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

I was thinking about putting one of those raised racks over a cookie sheet and baking it that way.  The idea was to get most of the grease to be drawn out and the bacon not to cook in its own fat.  Feedback?

 

That sounds like a a good idea. I have one of those broiler pans that allows the juices to drain off. I could use that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, efdbrian said:

 

That sounds like a a good idea. I have one of those broiler pans that allows the juices to drain off. I could use that.

Maybe even a George Foreman Grill.  I have one of those as well. 

efdbrian likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

About a year ago I tried a Bacon Porter at a local brewery and really liked its uniqueness.  I was going to try to imitate this one in the spring when I make the switch to all grain, but I'm going to give it a shot using a partial mash.  

 

6lbs Golden Light LME

2.5lbs of Cherrywood Smoked Malt

8oz of Caramel 80L

8oz of Dark Chocolate Malt

1tsp Irish Moss

Total of 2.5oz of Mount Hood Hops

3 Cups of B Grade Maple Syrup

WLP039 Nottingham Yeast

For the Bacon -- I've read that you can use a pound of Bacon.  Cook it, drain it, blot off the fat, hop sack it & add to the secondary for the final 5 days.  

 

I'm thinking 3 in the primary and 4 in the secondary.  

 

hey A/C, that cherrywood smoked malt is some strong stuff, 2.5 lbs of it gonna blow your roof off! LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Maybe even a George Foreman Grill.  I have one of those as well. 

Do it the Michael Scott way. :)

 

 

MRB Josh B likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

hey A/C, that cherrywood smoked malt is some strong stuff, 2.5 lbs of it gonna blow your roof off! LOL!

I've used a pound and a half and was disappointed.  I dunno, Hops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I've used a pound and a half and was disappointed.  I dunno, Hops.

Dang! you gotta have smoked malt high tolerance!  when I tried an experimental smoked lager with the American Lager, I used probably maybe 4 oz. of briess smoked cherrywood malt and the stuff was almost too strong. after about a month and a half in bottles it finally smoothed out some. and that was a 2 gal. LBK brew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I've used a pound and a half and was disappointed.  I dunno, Hops.

maybe steep it very last by itself??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Or steep it in vodka like orange peel.

I thought about that too Josh, but I wasn't sure if that would have unexpected side effects such as reducing the flavor of the bacon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

Dang! you gotta have smoked malt high tolerance!  when I tried an experimental smoked lager with the American Lager, I used probably maybe 4 oz. of briess smoked cherrywood malt and the stuff was almost too strong. after about a month and a half in bottles it finally smoothed out some. and that was a 2 gal. LBK brew.

The last few times I used the smoked Cherrywood I let those brews condition for months...  they are still conditioning.  Maybe that's why the taste has faded.

HoppySmile! likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, AnthonyC said:

The last few times I used the smoked Cherrywood I let those brews condition for months...  they are still conditioning.  Maybe that's why the taste has faded.

probably would have to drink it sooner. I thot of smoking my malt on my smoker outside as an experiment

AnthonyC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This recipe is a go.  Going to an indoor farmers market to get the syrup today.  Only thing left is the bacon and yeast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, found this for another Maple Bacon Porter:

  • GRAINS
  • 2 oz English Chocolate Malt
  • 6 oz Honey Malt
  • 10 oz Caramunich III
  • 12 oz Cherrywood Smoked Malt
  • FERMENTABLES
  • 3 lbs Amber DME
  • 1 lb Wheat DME
  • 3.15 lbs Dark Malt syrup (15 min late addition)
  • HOPPS & FLAVORINGS
  • 1 oz Willamette (60 min)
  • 30 mL Bacon extract (flame out)
  • 1 lb Maple Syrup
  • YEAST
  • Safale US-05 Ale Yeast
  • OR
  • Wyeast 1056 American Ale
  • OR
  • White Labs WLP001 California Ale
  • PRIMING SUGAR
  • 5 oz Priming Sugar
Buy
Sometimes homebrewing can make you feel like a kid on Christmas Morning!
MRB Tim likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...how about if I use WLP820 White Labs Oktoberfest Lager Liquid Yeast & brew it as a lager?  I have one in the arsenal with an expiration date of 7/17 that I'd do a starter for just to make sure it's viable.  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now