Jsmall41

How long before bottling?

20 posts in this topic

First time using Mr Beer. My question is, how long should the beer be in the fermentation keg before bottling? On the side of the kit box, it says 3 weeks. On some videos, I see 2 weeks. Which is correct? I'm using the Aztec Cerveza.

No problem.  With a small batch, it doesn't make sense to periodically check your final gravity over a two or three day period to make sure fermentation has stopped as you would use up too much of your beer.  Three weeks gives time for complete fermentation plus any clean-up the yeast need to perform.  In the beginning, it was suggested two weeks (or even less!), but the collective wisdom of a whole slew of Mr. B brewers decided three weeks works.

When you bottle your beer, let them sit for 4 weeks at 70°F or more.  When you are ready to drink, put them in the fridge for 3 days and then drink.  Don't worry if the first go-round isn't great.  It's beer, you made it, and you'll do better next time!

Look in the pinned topics above this for other notes, and seek out a post by RickBeer for many good notes in his signature.

Thank you for your information C-ya! I'm excited about making beer. But I'm not going to rush it.

C-ya likes this

Welcome to the forums, Jsmall41.  C-ya gave you some solid advice -- 3 weeks in the LBK is pretty much rule of thumb for Mr. Beer recipes.  Good luck with your brew!!  ????

Jsmall41 likes this

19 minutes ago, Jsmall41 said:

Thank you for your information C-ya! I'm excited about making beer. But I'm not going to rush it.

That's the spirit. Patience is a virtue in homebrewing.

Stroomer420 and Jsmall41 like this

Welcome Jsmall41!! I am 5 batches in (2 bottled, 2 still fermenting, 1 in for cold crashing to bottle Saturday) and these fine folks here on the forum have given me so much help and information. follow the advice, post questions (remember, the only dumb question is the one you dont ask) and you will be very well on your way in the new obsession. 

Jsmall41 and Stroomer420 like this

Welcome, @Jsmall41! As others have stated it is 3 weeks in the fermenter. Mr. Beer's instructions used to say two weeks, but a year or so ago they updated that so that it now says 3 weeks. The info that you found online is probably from the old instructions.

HoppySmile! and Jsmall41 like this

14 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

welcome to the rest of your life.....?..?

what do u mean by that? I do bunji dive off of my garage now and then u know!!!!

Welcome!

We all start somewhere!  You'll find lots of good threads on here, like the one how most of us got started.  You may find some inspiration there, as well as the Homebrew Fails.  We've all been there and you'll always have an ear listening to your questions.

Jsmall41 likes this

Welcome - keep to the 3 weeks fermenting and one month carbonation/ conditioning. I tend to let my beers condition longer, and find they improve even more. 

Jsmall41 and AnthonyC like this

4 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

Welcome - keep to the 3 weeks fermenting and one month carbonation/ conditioning. I tend to let my beers condition longer, and find they improve even more. 

I agree 1,000% on the conditioning longer!

Jsmall41 likes this

2 hours ago, Brian N. said:

That's the hardest part about this obsessi...I mean hobby. :)  But patience truly is rewarded.

Jsmall41 and hotrod3539 like this

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

That's the hardest part about this addict...I mean hobby. :)  But patience truly is rewarded.

I think you meant something else....