Rokitman

Batch #3 Of Hacked Root Beer. And A Question

11 posts in this topic

As the title says, I'm about to start my third batch of HRB. WHY? Because this SH*T'S good, that's why. By far my favorite Mr. Beer recipe to date. If you haven't tried it, you absolutely MUST!

My first batch was made from a brand new kit I received as a gift. And as suggested by the wise folks in this forum, I added 2 cups of white sugar, 2 cups of brown sugar and a couple tablespoons of vanilla extract. Nothing short of amazing. Almost indistinguishable from good 'ol A&W ~ besides the "kick", of course. So why would I want to change that recipe?

I just received my HRB refill kit today and noticed it comes with a Booster Pack that my original kit did not. Apparently, this sugar is designed to boost the ABV without the cidery taste that cane sugar can produce.

I would really love for this batch to taste as good as the one I made with the mixture of white and brown sugars. Do I need to alter my old recipe to accommodate this booster pack? I'm assuming the addition of the vanilla extract would not be an issue. The booster pack is 12.5 oz. Which by my calculations is slightly over 1 1/2 cups. Can I just add an additional half cup of white to bring this recipe up to my old one?

Thank you,

- Dean -

MRB Josh R likes this

Silly question, Rokitman.  If you absolutely loved the other recipe why bother with the Booster?  Save it for a rainy day and re-brew your original.  Seems like you've already found something that you love... If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it!! ;)

Rokitman likes this

The Booster is completely optional, but will add a little more body than just sugar alone due to the dextrins in contains. But as AnthonyC said, if what you are doing is working, there's not much reason to change it.

BTW, I'm so glad you enjoy the kit. Designing it is one of my proudest achievements here at Mr. Beer so far. And the feedback we got at the Brew Fests we've attended has been really great. We usually run out of the HRB before anything else at those events. lol.

13 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

The Booster is completely optional, but will add a little more body than just sugar alone due to the dextrins in contains. But as AnthonyC said, if what you are doing is working, there's not much reason to change it.

BTW, I'm so glad you enjoy the kit. Designing it is one of my proudest achievements here at Mr. Beer so far. And the feedback we got at the Brew Fests we've attended has been really great. We usually run out of the HRB before anything else at those events. lol.

it is a really great recipe I've done two batches of it and neither lasted ,,my brother is a rum and coke guy and he loved it too... Be making my third batch after crazy Valentine's day is over....I've always wondered if you could use a different soda flavor extract,,, to make like a hacked orange soda/beer..... Again great job on the recipe 😁 🍺

Rokitman and HoppySmile! like this

2 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

it is a really great recipe I've done two batches of it and neither lasted ,,my brother is a rum and coke guy and he loved it too... Be making my third batch after crazy Valentine's day is over....I've always wondered if you could use a different soda flavor extract,,, to make like a hacked orange soda/beer..... Again great job on the recipe 😁 🍺

I will actually be experimenting with variations like this throughout the summer. I have some ideas for sarsparilla, ginger, orange, cherry, and cola. Stay tuned... ;)

Stroomer420 and HoppySmile! like this

30 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I will actually be experimenting with variations like this throughout the summer. I have some ideas for sarsparilla, ginger, orange, cherry, and cola. Stay tuned... ;)

awesome..... I'll be eagerly waiting for those!!! 😋

On 2/9/2017 at 6:26 PM, MRB Josh R said:

The Booster is completely optional, but will add a little more body than just sugar alone.

BTW, I'm so glad you enjoy the kit. Designing it is one of my proudest achievements here at Mr. Beer so far. And the feedback we got at the Brew Fests we've attended has been really great.

On the topic of the Booster. Should this be treated just like the ordinary sugars you would use for any other recipe? Or is it specifically designed for the HRB? Are there some recipes where substituting with a Booster is more beneficial than others?

I'd also be very interested in the other variations you will be working on in the future. Cherry and sarsaparilla sound very interesting.

Thanx Josh. I always learn something new with your replies.

- Dean -

On 2/11/2017 at 11:11 AM, Rokitman said:

On the topic of the Booster. Should this be treated just like the ordinary sugars you would use for any other recipe? Or is it specifically designed for the HRB? Are there some recipes where substituting with a Booster is more beneficial than others?

I'd also be very interested in the other variations you will be working on in the future. Cherry and sarsaparilla sound very interesting.

Thanx Josh. I always learn something new with your replies.

- Dean -

The Booster has been used in our kits for MANY years before the HRB was created. So it definitely wasn't designed for that. It's just corn sugar with some dextrins to add body. It is treated just like any non-malt adjunct or fermentable. Whether to use a Booster over anything else really comes down to a personal choice. Try it. Don't like it? Don't use it again. Some people like the Booster, some people don't. So I can't really say if it will be more beneficial than anything else because that answer would be a subjective opinion.

Rokitman and AnthonyC like this

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, Stroomer420 said:

awesome..... I'll be eagerly waiting for those!!! 😋

i'm a big fan of prunes! so I was wondering if I could soak prunes in the rootbeer to get that American classic prune root beer!!!?

Stroomer420, dale hihn and Rokitman like this

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

i'm a big fan of prunes! so I was wondering if I could soak prunes in the rootbeer to get that American classic prune root beer!!!?

I'll pass... Lol

HoppySmile! and Rokitman like this