Wolf357

Newbie question about "Recipes"

14 posts in this topic

I have a few questions about the Mr.Beer recipes from the Mr.Beer website

1. When it says "Recipe includes" are all those ingredients in a package that you buy from mr.beer? 

2. Can you replace all those ingredients from a brewing supply store?

Im from Canada and can get the refills but shipping to Canada from Mr.Beer.com is insaine so if I can substitute items then all the best 

MRB Tim likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also,

 

41 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

1. When it says "Recipe includes" are all those ingredients in a package that you buy from mr.beer? 

 

Exactly right. When you order from our site, you'll get everything listed there. Some recipes will say "You'll Provide" with a list of items commonly found at the grocery store.

 

41 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

2. Can you replace all those ingredients from a brewing supply store?

 

Some of them. You can usually find the grains, hops, and non-Coopers yeast elsewhere, if need be. The extract, however, can't be substituted.

MiniYoda likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

Also,

 

 

Exactly right. When you order from our site, you'll get everything listed there. Some recipes will say "You'll Provide" with a list of items commonly found at the grocery store.

 

 

Some of them. You can usually find the grains, hops, and non-Coopers yeast elsewhere, if need be. The extract, however, can't be substituted.

The extract isn't a issue I can get refills up here...it is more the Recipes I want to make are the issue. If I can replace the ingredients from a brewery supply store then awesome.

its not Mr.Beers fault but shipping across the border is silly (this includes amazon) 

here is my issue...see attachment 

IMG_0730.PNG

MRB Tim likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wolf357 said:

its not Mr.Beers fault but shipping across the border is silly

 

We do apologize for the inconvenience, and we are aware of the problem, but unfortunately (as you note) we don't have any control over what UPS charges. Sorry about that!

Wolf357 and MiniYoda like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

 

We do apologize for the inconvenience, and we are aware of the problem, but unfortunately (as you note) we don't have any control over what UPS charges. Sorry about that!

Is there any thoughts of a Mr.Beer.ca site for the 38 Million beer loving Canadians up here?

us Canucks are kinda known for enjoying a frosty beer from time to time😜

MRB Tim likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

Is there any thoughts of a Mr.Beer.ca site for the 38 Million beer loving Canadians up here?

us Canucks are kinda known for enjoying a frosty beer from time to time😜

 

Yes, we have been looking into something like this. We have a LOT of customers in Canada and we definitely want to keep them so we are working on ways to get our products to you cheaper and faster. But this is a slow process, especially in our current state of expansion. But trust me when I say that we haven't forgotten about you guys. ;)

Wolf357 and MRB Tim like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wolf357 said:

The extract isn't a issue I can get refills up here...it is more the Recipes I want to make are the issue. If I can replace the ingredients from a brewery supply store then awesome.

 

 

The Mr Beer web site list all the ingredients in the recipes, unlike some Brewing supply sites that sell a "recipe" but don't tell you what is in it.

 

So you can find substitute items for pretty much everything - as you say except the refills.

Maybe not exact but close.  The darker malt extracts  are the most difficult I find to match.  The other things, hops, yeast,  you should find in a brewery store or supermarket.  You have to find a brewery store that sells to grain brewers and you should find all the grains Mr B sells.

The Mr B Smooth and Robust are nice extracts but if I don't have them I find Briess Sparking Amber is pretty close for  Smooth, and I use the Briess Traditional Dark and  Sparkling Amber mixed for Robust,  but it is not as good a match. The robust is very nice. you don't get so much of that that residual bitterness from the dark malts that some extracts have.  There are a lot more extracts on sale but I don't have experience to tell you what else substitutes well.

For Golden, use a wheat extract, for Pale use a light extract or pilsner extract.

Wolf357 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about boosters.  I used a booster for my second batch (a St Patrick's Irish Stout).  I followed the directions in the kit box that said mix the booster into the water before I heated it.  I am not sure all the sugar dissolved and I think it effected the taste.  It was very sweet with a bad after taste.  I ended up dumping most of the batch. 

 

I just started my third batch (an American Lager) and I decided to try the booster again.  This time I followed the directions on the Mr. Beer website for the recipe which said to add the booster to the hot water after I had poured in the extract.  This time I ended up with two lumps of sugar that I could not get to dissolve after about 10 minutes of stirring.  I ended up taking the two lumps out and just disposing of it. What kind of effect, if any, should I expect this to have on my final product. 

 

Also, is the ABV for the recipe listed on the website the alcohol content with or without the booster?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Sweet with a bad after taste" has nothing to do with booster.  Fermentation eats all the sugars, so if your brew was sweet then it likely wasn't done fermenting.  You are lucky you didn't have bottle bombs if that was the case.

 

Not putting all the booster in would result in a lower ABV vs. putting all the booster in.  That's it.

 

ABV listed is for all the ingredients in the recipe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rjmanning said:

I have a question about boosters.  I used a booster for my second batch (a St Patrick's Irish Stout).  I followed the directions in the kit box that said mix the booster into the water before I heated it.  I am not sure all the sugar dissolved and I think it effected the taste.  It was very sweet with a bad after taste.  I ended up dumping most of the batch. 

 

I just started my third batch (an American Lager) and I decided to try the booster again.  This time I followed the directions on the Mr. Beer website for the recipe which said to add the booster to the hot water after I had poured in the extract.  This time I ended up with two lumps of sugar that I could not get to dissolve after about 10 minutes of stirring.  I ended up taking the two lumps out and just disposing of it. What kind of effect, if any, should I expect this to have on my final product. 

 

Also, is the ABV for the recipe listed on the website the alcohol content with or without the booster?

  

 

Add the booster a little bit at a time as the water starts heating up. It dissolves better in cool or warm water than hot water. In hot water it gums up, but it will eventually dissolve. Patience is required when using Booster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks MRBJosh and Rickbeers. 

 

I guess I'm glad I use the plastic bottles. 

 

My next question is the American Lager recipes calls for 14 days of fermentation.  How accurate is that?  Should I give it 3 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rjmanning said:

Thanks MRBJosh and Rickbeers. 

 

I guess I'm glad I use the plastic bottles. 

 

My next question is the American Lager recipes calls for 14 days of fermentation.  How accurate is that?  Should I give it 3 weeks. 

The consensus is to go three weeks in the LBK for all of the recipes.

Check out the link called "The RIGHT way to brew" in RickBeer's signature block for more details (I don't think you can see the links on a smartphone, FYI).  Heck, if you have the time, check out ALL of the links in his signature block. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now