Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jsmall41

Filtering before bottling?

7 posts in this topic

Do any of you run your beer through a filter from the fermenter as you bottle to eliminate possible sediment?

No - there are live yeast cells suspended in the green beer that will grow and multiply in the bottle, enabling carbonation. Some sediment is part of that fermentation process. Also. filtering will oxygenate your beer before you bottle. Oxygen is destructive. I won't describe the process here, but you could rack to a secondary, condition, filter and then carbonate with pressurized CO2. Personally, I am not trying to recreate the filtered, mass produced beers. I'm fully enjoying my bottle carbonated and conditioned ales with sediment.

1 hour ago, Brian N. said:

I'm fully enjoying my bottle carbonated and conditioned ales with sediment.

I remember those days... but then again, I used to eat Taco Bell too.  ;)

11 minutes ago, kedogn said:

I remember those days... but then again, I used to eat Taco Bell too.  ;)

I used to eat taco bell. And by used to i mean last night. Steak quesadilla with an extra side of jalapeño sauce and a cheesy gordita crunch. It was so good

kedogn likes this

5 hours ago, Jsmall41 said:

Do any of you run your beer through a filter from the fermenter as you bottle to eliminate possible sediment?

Sediment generally will settle out and harden up in a few weeks/months.

Look at my post today of Baltic Porter (Watcha drinking tonight), that was less than 3 weeks in bottle, looks pretty clear to me - especially as it had 2x 30 minute car rides before drinking.