Bonsai & Brew

recipe
Who Let the Hogs Out Farmhouse Ale aka Sweet & Sour Saison

20 posts in this topic

I brewed this Saturday after giving @Creeps McLane and @HoppySmile!'s saison ideas much thought.  This ended up being a Boulevard Tank 7 X More Cowbell mini-mash hybrid, with a couple of my own ideas thrown in for fun.  Thanks guys!🍻

Weyermann Pilsner, 2 lbs.

Weyermann Vienna, 0.35 lbs.

Flaked Wheat, 0.35 lb.

Flaked Corn, 0.6 lb.

Gambrinus Honey malt, 0.17 lb.

Weyermann CaraBelge, 0.17 lb.

Weyermann Acidulated malt, 0.17 lb.

SD Sweet Clover honey, 0.75 lb.

Mr. Beer BrewMax Golden LME, 1.1 lbs.

Magnum, 0.25 oz., 60 min.

Calypso, 0.3 oz., 15 min.

Styrian Goldings, 0.25 oz., 7 min.

Hallertau Mittelfruh, 0.5 oz. @ flame-out

Danstar Belle Saison yeast

90 minute stepped mash starting @ 146 F for 50 min. ending with a 168 F mash-out.

60 min. boil

OG per hydrometer was 1.080 +/-

(Is it me, or are these experimental recipes starting to get just a little complicated?)

See you in 18-21 days!

HoppySmile! and Creeps McLane like this

35 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I brewed this Saturday after giving @Creeps McLane and @HoppySmile!'s saison ideas much thought.  This ended up being a Boulevard Tank 7 X More Cowbell mini-mash hybrid, with a couple of my own ideas thrown in for fun.  Thanks guys!🍻

Flaked Wheat, 0.35 lb.

Flaked Corn, 0.6 lb.

90 minute stepped mash starting @ 146 F for 50 min. ending with a 168 F mash-out.

60 min. boil

(Is it me, or are these experimental recipes starting to get just a little complicated?)

See you in 18-21 days!

Thats going to be one big beer. Mine was 1.060 down to almost 0 which made it a 7.6% beer. I aint complainin', though. Bigger beers = less effort to get buzzed.

whats your address? Well plan a family get away for when that baby is done and ready to drink

HoppySmile! likes this

35 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Flaked Wheat, 0.35 lb.

Flaked Corn, 0.6 lb.

60 min. boil

See you in 18-21 days!

Thats going to be one big beer. Mine was 1.060 down to almost 0 which made it a 7.6% beer. I aint complainin', though. Bigger beers = less effort to get buzzed.

whats your address? Well plan a family get away for when that baby is done and ready to drink

Bonsai & Brew likes this

16 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Black Hills, SD - the craft brewing world's best kept secret!

image.jpeg

Creeps McLane likes this

OK, I have been triggered... :angry: A Sweet & Sour Saison?! Saisons are the opposite of sweet - in fact, they are the driest of beer styles. If this beer is sweet, it's not a saison. Instead, it's a Biere de Garde, which is a French farmhouse ale style similar to Belgian saisons, but maltier and sweeter. I just had to get that off my chest because the title triggered me. :lol: "Saison" and "Sweet" do not belong together in the same sentence.

38 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

OK, I have been triggered... :angry: A Sweet & Sour Saison?! Saisons are the opposite of sweet - in fact, they are the driest of beer styles. If this beer is sweet, it's not a saison. Instead, it's a Biere de Garde, which is a French farmhouse ale style similar to Belgian saisons, but maltier and sweeter. I just had to get that off my chest because the title triggered me. :lol: "Saison" and "Sweet" do not belong together in the same sentence.

At least I did not put rhubarb in mine!;)https://untappd.com/b/boyd-s-brewery-sweet-and-sour-saison-2015/1221186

I kind of figured that I was going to get in trouble with that title, but I was more afraid of offending hip-hop fans!  This beer is unlikely to actually be sweet and will probably end up being the driest thing I've ever brewed.  I would have to ask @MRB Josh B to line-out the aka portion of the title of my post, cuz I can't edit it.  And thanks for the life lesson Josh -- I will try to be more disciplined with my beer names going forward.B)   

MRB Josh R likes this

But there is honey malt in this one, so there may be a bit of a sweet taste from the honey malt even though it is a dry beer.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

i used honey malt in mine, and with a little time, it'll smooth out just fine! however, I just used a small amount of honey malt. I think the hop combo really paid off for both my Tank 7 and first experimental Saison. the third farmhouse/saison is presently fermenting as a 5 gal. and I used more of a wheat blend, a lot of fresh honey to dry it out more.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

18 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Black Hills, SD - the craft brewing world's best kept secret!

image.jpeg

Say Son!!! y dnt we have a get together at the Farm house?? whatya say son?

Bonsai & Brew likes this

20 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Flaked Wheat, 0.35 lb.

Flaked Corn, 0.6 lb.

60 min. boil

See you in 18-21 days!

and by looking at this, I really don't see anything sweet about this. perfect amount of honey malt, and the fresh honey will dissipate and dry out the beer. nice choice of hops I think is gonna be a good one!

Bonsai & Brew and MRB Josh R like this

4 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

and by looking at this, I really don't see anything sweet about this. perfect amount of honey malt, and the fresh honey will dissipate and dry out the beer. nice choice of hops I think is gonna be a good one!

Thanks Hoppy -- Josh is right though, there was no need trying to be cute throwing the 'Sweet & Sour' descriptor at this recipe.  Sure, I used both Honey malt and Sauermalz, but probably not enough to define the beer.  I guess if nothing else, you guys can help me name my Biere de Garde.🍻

HoppySmile! likes this

10 hours ago, Shrike said:

Biere de Garde da Vida, Honey

That's more like it!  Inda.............. I can only come up with that classic stuff when i'm stoned or on acid! But Shrike! u did it sober right???

Shrike likes this

21 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

A Sweet & Sour Saison

he could change it to Sweet & Sour Chicken Saison, that'll leave u in the parking lot for awhile..............

57 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

That's more like it!  Inda.............. I can only come up with that classic stuff when i'm stoned or on acid! But Shrike! u did it sober right???

I may have had a Jameson or three. :)

HoppySmile! likes this

I get on a baileys kick every now and then, but since that stuff is expensive, I buy the cheapest irish cream I can find, then get a pint of jameson. bcuz after three to four glasses of the spiked irish cream, it doesn't matter how it tastes, and by that time i'm usually crawling on my belly in the back yard anyways

23 hours ago, Shrike said:

I may have had a Jameson or three. :)

Shrike likes this