Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve-Oh

1776 Recipe Changed Online

12 posts in this topic

In four days I will be bottling a 1776 recipe. I'm going to immediately turn around and make it again with a slight change to the LME. I noticed today the online recipe has changed a little. It originally called for Liberty hops and now it calls for Crystal hops. Anyone know why they changed it?  

1 minute ago, Steve-Oh said:

In four days I will be bottling a 1776 recipe. I'm going to immediately turn around and make it again with a slight change to the LME. I noticed today the online recipe has changed a little. It originally called for Liberty hops and now it calls for Crystal hops. Anyone know why they changed it?  

Likely the recent acquisition of new hops at Mr. Beer. 

Liberty hops are out of stock and Crystal hops are the closest substitute. There is no date for when Liberty hops will be back in stock, if ever.

A few people have asked about sometimes getting different hops than what the recipe says, and about the hop changes on some of the recipes. So perhaps I will explain in a bit more detail.

Substituting hops in recipes is a fairly common occurrence in the brewing industry, and many breweries have to change hops in a recipe every once in awhile due to market supply and demand. And with the current growth of the craft brewing industry moving at lighting-fast speeds, it's going to be more and more difficult to acquire certain hops in the future unless farmers can grow enough to keep up with the pace.

This is especially difficult when trying to get hop strains that are proprietary and cannot be grown anywhere else, but the farms that created it. Citra is the 1st one that comes to mind. While larger companies like Northern Brewer can get these hops, it's much more difficult for us smaller companies to obtain contracts with the hop distributors because they require bulk buys of hundreds of lbs. With our 2 gallon kits being our primary seller, we just cannot move that much hops within their expiration date. With our current expansion, however, we hope this will change in the future. But for now, hops like Citra have been very elusive for us and probably will be for awhile.

hotrod3539, Steve-Oh and D Kristof like this

1 hour ago, Stroomer420 said:

awe liberty hops were the first hop I used with Mr. Beer ,,the PPA recipe... Sad day.😢..lol.. 😁

Mine too, Stroom. It was in the Lincoln's Liberty Lager.  I want to make this again.  I made it when I was green and totally screwed it up.  

I have this in my to-brew queue so just went and checked.  I guess I ordered it long enough ago as I have the Liberty.

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Mine too, Stroom. It was in the Lincoln's Liberty Lager.  I want to make this again.  I made it when I was green and totally screwed it up.  

I've been wanting to try that one... Found liberty hop pellets on amazon,, I checked online at the lhbs bout 30 mins away and they only have whole hops..

I think it also has to do with the recent deportations, perhaps the Liberty hop had originated in another country, and the Crystal hop is truly American. but at the same time it's pretty crystal clear that I don't have the liberty to comment further

ajolin13 likes this

Switched Liberty hops to Crystal hops in the recipe spreadsheet.  11 recipes changed.  Thanks MRB Josh.  Will upload a new version of the spreadsheet...........soon